Skip to main content

Lol...no idea. He said he was only 202 once...maybe he had a winter coat and boots on that day.....196-197 the other days...lol.  The kid has always been able to eat whatever he wants...and never gained a pound.   The football team hasn't had a great year...maybe the strength guy is spending too much time with the baseball guys

Besides working out with  strength trainer he should also be under supervision of a sports nutritionist. One thing that he concentrates on is eating every 2 hours the proper foods : meal, snack, meal, snack etc.  Also be careful of what kind of protein supplements, nutritional supplements and such since some can effect kidneys, liver, not to mention banned ingredients.  Get lab tests done. 

off-campus house with older/upper classmen?   

Water, Barley, Rice, Malts, Hops, and Yeast could also be an explanation for weight gain  

But I do agree about looking out for supplements - as long as he's educated about which ones are good and bad from someone at the school like the trainer who is trained to know. The list does change and the NCAA does have some fairly comprehensive testing. It's always 'someone else' who gets caught until you become the next someone else. Those protein supplements along with regular lifting surely can add weight properly especially if they've never been used before. I had two boys (baseball players) gain some significant weight/muscle mass when using them. Stuff smells awful IMO, but it worked.  Funny how they'll have that, but have avoid certain food and vegetables throughout life because it looks funny or smells bad, but give them a protein supplement and they're all over it.

My son was very small as a freshman in HS. But he bought into the program and lifted regularly and watched his diet. He put on a lot of weight and muscle, He did not get much taller. He really filled out and the coaches used him as an example of what a player could do by buying in. 

Some of his classmates did not buy in, and while they got bigger, it was not all muscle. Rumors started that he was using some extra help. But his muscle gain was not out of the ordinary for what any young man could do. School and coaches heard and took it for what it was. 

So the kid is home for Xmas break and there is no ignoring my text now. His only recourse is to put his ear buds in and hide under his covers. That's OK, I just lurk about the kitchen like a lion at the watering hole, knowing that sooner or later he'll have to come out.

Speaking of which. Before he left his diet consisted of mostly baked chicken and vegetables. He comes home and it's like McDonald's. When asked he said he's up to about 4k calories a day and still not putting on enough weight. Nutritionist is kind of frustrated.

Also went to see the guy he's hit with the last few years and did some cage work. Was really good to get my baseball fix.

But the best news of all was grades. A's and B's, which I can definitely live with. 

This is one of my favorite weeks as it relates to this topic...  

We are in winter conditioning (with some baseball activity) with the HS team.  Most of our former players who are still playing in college will come home for the break and show up at the field.  It's always great to see them and they will often jump in and help the current HS group.  I've been there long enough to remember when they were the HS newbies with big eyes watching the college group at the time show up... and the generation before them... and..

My youngest son arrived over the weekend (now an assistant coach at his college).  He showed up yesterday at the practice but too late to be introduced to the players so he sorta hovered in the background where I was working the batting tee/cage area.  He would send me an occasional hand gesture about something I was missing or needed to address with a hitter.

... ok, well, besides getting old, one of my favorite weeks.

Last edited by cabbagedad

my freshman son came home last week...he thinks he is now an adult and doesn't care to be asked many questions, his mother thinks he is still 16 in HS and asks to many...somehow the fact that he has a bad attitude (his fault) about her asking him too many questions (her fault) is my fault!!!

How the heck did this happen and when is he leaving...sigh.

old_school posted:

my freshman son came home last week...he thinks he is now an adult and doesn't care to be asked many questions, his mother thinks he is still 16 in HS and asks to many...somehow the fact that he has a bad attitude (his fault) about her asking him too many questions (her fault) is my fault!!!

I hate to say this but it doesn't get any better with each year.  I won't call it "ignorance" or pinpoint who's "fault" but I will say this.  My son was the same way with info and how he is "doing".  I remember his freshman year, first game, which was away in N.Cal (I live in So. Cal).  We kept asking if he was going to see any playing time, and his reply was always "I dunno".  We flew, made the trip just in case.  3 hours before game time he said he was starting.  Later that evening I asked why he didn't let us know earlier and he said he wasn't sure, but he thought he would.  I don't know if it is the "boys club rule" or the HC put clamps on anything to do with the team but get used to little or no info.  Maybe it's my kid but the only time he tells us anything about the team is after we hear from other parents.  Oh yes, I forgot, he does readily tell us when he needs money or if he charged something expensive to me.  Life of a baseball parent 

Trust In Him posted:

... I don't know if it is the "boys club rule" or the HC put clamps on anything to do with the team but get used to little or no info.  Maybe it's my kid but the only time he tells us anything about the team is after we hear from other parents.  Oh yes, I forgot, he does readily tell us when he needs money or if he charged something expensive to me.  Life of a baseball parent 

Trust, you are missing out on a perfect trade opportunity 

old_school posted:

Welcome, it's a big club, but it does get better by Jr. year as I think they start to get a little worried that soon they will be out in the real world and actually do really appreciate you a lot.

Last edited by russinfortworth
cabbagedad posted:
Trust In Him posted:

... I don't know if it is the "boys club rule" or the HC put clamps on anything to do with the team but get used to little or no info.  Maybe it's my kid but the only time he tells us anything about the team is after we hear from other parents.  Oh yes, I forgot, he does readily tell us when he needs money or if he charged something expensive to me.  Life of a baseball parent 

Trust, you are missing out on a perfect trade opportunity 

Haha....When he was 2 years old I made him sign a 40 year contract where I will get 20% of his income.  Getting there with the good Lord permitting......

old_school posted:

It's amazing how everything comes back full circle like that!

I had to pull Mom aside at one point. He was home from break and she was acting like he never left. Questions curfew, etc...

I said we did our bit. He has yet to disappoint us. So we have to trust we raised him well. I also had a talk with my son. You want some sanity and your mom off your back? Take her into consideration. Test her when you are going to be out all night so she wont worry. Let her know you get to where you were going safely. A few texts will make your life easier. He capitulated, life was good.  

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

I had to pull Mom aside at one point. He was home from break and she was acting like he never left. Questions curfew, etc...

I said we did our bit. He has yet to disappoint us. So we have to trust we raised him well. I also had a talk with my son. You want some sanity and your mom off your back? Take her into consideration. Test her when you are going to be out all night so she wont worry. Let her know you get to where you were going safely. A few texts will make your life easier. He capitulated, life was good.  

yes me and the boy are working on that...it is a process as they say.

old_school posted:
BishopLeftiesDad posted:

yes me and the boy are working on that...it is a process as they say.

Yup it won' happen over night. By the way, that should be TEXT HER, not TEST HER. If he tried to test HER it would have been one unhappy holiday.

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

Exactly This!  ^^^  My wife will stay awake 'til the wee hours of the night, hoping for a text.  He has gotten better, and it is definitely making a difference.

Well he's really gone now. Last semester we got to visit him at fall ball in Oct, saw him at Thanksgiving, and had him home about three weeks for Xmas/NY's. Left yesterday and I don't see spending any real time with him until summer. Next year I doubt we'll get as much time as he'll be off campus. Won't have to come home and made clear he preferred being at school. Obviously the wife and I are conflicted. We will miss him greatly, but are happy to see him independent and making his place in this world.

At thirty, twenty five years ago, I never thought about being married. Now here I am with two grown offspring, one about to have a child and another one at college playing DI ball. Weird...

So … our son has bee home since the 19th and it took about two weeks to settle back into the familiar family dynamic.  It was strange and unexpected to have to reconnect.  Since then — it's been great.  Today — he’s off to NY  to spend a couple days with his girlfriend’s family.  We get him back in CA for one more week and then —  poof — he’ll be gone until May.  That is going to suck because even this summer he will only be home for a week and then off to summer ball in Ohio.   Happy for him  — but sad for us…. 

MAM posted:

So … our son has bee home since the 19th and it took about two weeks to settle back into the familiar family dynamic.  It was strange and unexpected to have to reconnect.  Since then — it's been great.  Today — he’s off to NY  to spend a couple days with his girlfriend’s family.  We get him back in CA for one more week and then —  poof — he’ll be gone until May.  That is going to suck because even this summer he will only be home for a week and then off to summer ball in Ohio.   Happy for him  — but sad for us…. 

Mam what team in Ohio, I am always looking for a reason to watch some summer collegiate baseball. Hoping it' the Settlers, my sons old team. Buckeye2015 will tell you it' all about the Loco's. Don't believe him

MAM posted:

He’s playing with the Xenia Scouts this summer….  Hoping they’ll repeat their performance from 2016.  He’s pretty stoked.  Hoping I’ll get a chance to get out there too this summer, moved out of Akron when I was 5 and haven’t really been back since.  

I'm sure you are well aware - or in any event are very capable of looking at a map LOL  -- but (speaking as a NE Ohioan) Xenia is not exactly near Akron.  It's about a 3 hour drive.  But I hope you do get to visit Akron - I am in Cleveland, but Akron has seen a lot of good changes over the last few years and I'm sure you'd enjoy it!!  Best of luck in Xenia!!

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

Teams here in Central Ohio always look forward to playing at Grady field. Greatbplace for night games especially. Inlike the GLSCL. It has added quite a few new teams in the last couple if years. Looks like they are moving to 3 divisions. That should cut down on travel a bit. 

It was 3 last year.....as they had added 2 new teams in MI and 1 in Ontario and I just don't think they knew what to do with it.  The Michigan teams and the Ontario were in the North and didn't play anyone in the Central or Southern Divisions....the Central and Southern played some cross-over games.  Its was a strange setup...especially when the playoffs came around and the strange way they seeded teams.  This year they're back to 2...just north and south.  It's a long drive from here to Muskegon and Saginaw.  Gonna be a lot more time spent on the bus than last year....teams may end up spending some nights in hotels....which has very rarely happened before.

Mam....the schedule is back up....we come to Xenia the first week of the season (3rd and 4th games for us)  My son will likely be a starter again.  Your son may get to see him depending on which game he gets.

I can’t believe my kids are now 33 and 28. That makes me, err, older. I can still visualize dropping off the oldest when she had just turned eighteen. She’s now been married for eight years. My son is engaged. This board and talking baseball makes me feel like they were playing yesterday.

A walk down memory lane, I have few posts in here I didn't remember but reading them it all came back. What a ride like fast forward and slow motion at the same time. One more grad year, ball season and we are done completely.

Just spent the weekend at the beach with the boy and his girl, had drinks, did some boating, spent some time on the beach...didn't talk baseball once. Is good or bad?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.