Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

BucsFan posted:

VA guy posting in CA forum here.  Take PBR seriously.  They are very good.  They built from scratch a great operation in VA in about 2 years.  I have a nephew in NorCal who is 9th grader, showing promise.  Already put this on his radar.

Thanks. That's good to hear. I imagine both the NorCal guy and the SoCal guy (Les Lukach) will be out at a lot of HS games this spring, so it is going to be interesting to watch how the coverage develops. 

SomeBaseballDad posted:

I have read else where, and I'd agree, it really goes state by state and depends who the reps are in your state. Here it seemed like there were politics involved in the rankings. That said my kid is where he is because of a PBR event he was invited to.

This is true. Each state is a franchise. So it depends who owns the Franchise for your state. The guy for Ohio seems to do a good job. 

Hmmm....

My first reaction to this is that man who  is named as the Northern CA primary scout-writer-franchisee is said to have a testy, at best, relationship with the top travel organization in the region, NorCal Baseball.  If that relationship can't be mended then whatever PBR says about players in that part of the state will need to be taken with a grain of salt.  

JCG posted:

Hmmm....

My first reaction to this is that man who  is named as the Northern CA primary scout-writer-franchisee is said to have a testy, at best, relationship with the top travel organization in the region, NorCal Baseball.  If that relationship can't be mended then whatever PBR says about players in that part of the state will need to be taken with a grain of salt.  

I am not familiar with his relationship with NorCal, but I do know one of the top northern prospects he highly speaks of on "Coffee and Curveballs," plays for NorCal.  

Good point. In the first part of the video, the SoCal PBR guy talks about a kid from Santa Rosa, who did play for NorCal but lost his home and has transferred to a top SoCal high school. It will be interesting to see how he does. I'm watching the 2nd part now and the NoCal PBR guy is talking about nothing but NorCal Baseball guys.  You kind of have to because the great majority of top players play with them at least at some point.  So yeah in terms of promoting talent it  will probably work out just fine. However, besides playing at PG events, etc., NorCal Baseball holds its own showcase event, as does or did the NoCal PBR guy, so there could be some friction there.

I will be curious how this goes for them in SoCal.  There are so many scouts and so much talent here that it will not be easy to effectively cover the area.  I heard from one rep of another well-known organization that while they scout in large geo areas in many other states, in SoCal they literally break up the scouting by the freeways--i.e. south of the 91, east of the 5, and so forth.  Definitely a different market for them than many of the states they usually cover.

During the first years of our Area Code games we had 6 teams in California.

With the advice of MLB Scouting Directors and Pro scouts, I reduce to two teams for the State, since the talent level was reduced from 5 tools to 2 tools and goals of the players, changed from MLB to D- 1. We continued to average signing bonus of $35 million each year with the Premier National scouting event.

Bob

Last edited by Consultant
SomeBaseballDad posted:

I have read else where, and I'd agree, it really goes state by state and depends who the reps are in your state. Here it seemed like there were politics involved in the rankings. That said my kid is where he is because of a PBR event he was invited to.

I had heard there were politics involved with PBR in Illinois (If you don't play for XXX you don't get ranked well). I did not find this to be the case at all. (son doesn't play/won't ever play for XXX) -  He went to one indoor showcase, and after that they would text him asking him when/where he was pitching, then actually show up to a few HS games and provide website coverage with recaps of the games and write ups each time (about him as well as other kids in the game from both teams) . PBR Futures Games was the highlight and a big part (IMO) of his final recruiting decision.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.