Skip to main content

Am I reading the NCAA rule correctly that a high school player may not engage in a tryout for a college team during the particular sport's season?  In other words, a high school senior pitcher would not be allowed to throw a private bullpen for a college coach during the spring in order to be evaluated for a scholarship offer?

TIA.

I am that wretch.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I believe that is correct.  I know during off season you may throw/work out with a D2 team as long as it is not during the "season" of that sport.  I also believe that at the D1 level you are not allowed to "try out" at all, but can attend camps etc on the campus or if the coach is working at the camp they may watch you throw etc.  I am not sure if they could attend a "practice" and just observe the practice and the bullpen should your son happen to throw one that day.  Others on here have more knowledge of such things.  Good luck.

I remember HS coach getting a call from DI PC asking if my son had a bull pen scheduled for the upcoming week. HS coach said yes, it's this Thursday at 2:00. Son got the call from his HS coach telling him he had a bull pen on Thursday at 2:00. PC showed up watched for 15-20 minutes said nice work to my son and left. That school had seen him in several showcases. 

Not sure, but I think this was end of junior year. All I remember was that it was the only way at that time of year for the PC to see him.

Teaching Elder posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:

Technically, NCAA D1 baseball coaches are prohibited from conducting tryouts at any time. Which division are you asking about?

Div. II

See 13.11.2.1(b) in the DII manual:
"outside his or her high school’s or preparatory school’s traditional season in the sport (which shall begin with the first official team practice and conclude with the team’s final competition)"

Teaching Elder posted:

Am I reading the NCAA rule correctly that a high school player may not engage in a tryout for a college team during the particular sport's season?  In other words, a high school senior pitcher would not be allowed to throw a private bullpen for a college coach during the spring in order to be evaluated for a scholarship offer?

TIA.

The word "tryout" is not very precise.  If your son is throwing to his high school catcher, at his high school field, and there are 10 coaches at a fence watching it....is that a tryout?

CaCO3Girl posted:
Teaching Elder posted:

TIA.

The word "tryout" is not very precise.  If your son is throwing to his high school catcher, at his high school field, and there are 10 coaches at a fence watching it....is that a tryout?

That depends on who organized it. If D1 coach sent HS coach an email that said... have Joey throw a pen on Friday at 4pm, and have him throw 10 each 4S, CB, CU... then he is in violation. If HS coach sent email to D1 coaches saying Joey will be throwing his normal pen on Friday at 4pm whether anyone shows up or not... then those coaches can show up and watch without violating any rules.

"A member institution, on its campus or elsewhere, shall not conduct (or have conducted on its behalf ) any physical activity (e.g., practice session or test/tryout) at which one or more prospective student-athletes (as defined in Bylaws 13.11.1.1 and 13.11.1.2) reveal, demonstrate or display their athletics abilities in any sport except as provided in Bylaws 13.11.2 and 13.11.3."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.