Skip to main content

What's something new you're trying this year? New drills or competitions in practice? Teaching something different than you have in the past? 

Looking for ideas to always keep things fresh in practice and different ways to teach. Always looking for nuggets.

Personally, we're incorporating music into BP this year, and I'm teaching 3b play a little differently this year.  But I feel like I haven't changed practice or teaching a ton lately, which always makes me nervous.

Last edited by ironhorse
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

One thing we do, its not new, I started it 3 years ago.  We put together a play sheet of different situations and do a live defense time period.  It has the same concept as 21 outs but it is like a 21 outs on steroids.  I believe there are like 56 plays.  We keep track of positives and negatives on each play.  Defensive unit has to record a 80% success rate each day or they run a triangle.  We do it for 15 minutes and incorporate JV for live runners. 

Not new to us but here is a drill we use to have some fun.  I present this at various clinics when asked to speak.  You need 3 fungo hitters to do it like we do it but I can do it with one other coach where I hit two balls.  BTW, we make this competitive among the coaches and the boys vote on who was the best that night.  It can be a blast for them.  I hope it makes sense to you.  

Attachments

CoachB25 posted:

Not new to us but here is a drill we use to have some fun.  I present this at various clinics when asked to speak.  You need 3 fungo hitters to do it like we do it but I can do it with one other coach where I hit two balls.  BTW, we make this competitive among the coaches and the boys vote on who was the best that night.  It can be a blast for them.  I hope it makes sense to you.  

You posted this a few years ago and I stole it then. We use it during our athletic period every game day. We don't throw in the period on those days, so we take groundballs and flyballs with no throw, and then we start hammering Air Raid. I think my assistant and I enjoy it more than the kids some days. Good drill.

One thing the coaches started last year that the boys enjoy is the Cardinal vs. Navy game.  The schools colors are of course Navy and Cardinal.

The HC and Assistant coach pick back and forth until the Varsity team and JV teams are evenly divided. They release the names by class, so on Monday you find out that these 5 seniors are playing for Navy and these 6 are playing for cardinal..and so on. 

On game day the first inning is Navy Varsity vs. Cardinal Varsity. Second inning is Navy JV vs. Cardinal JV.  The runs count continuously.  So if Navy Varsity is doing well and Navy JV, it could be a blow out.

This is done directly after field clean up day, so spend two hours as a family trimming bushes, getting rocks out of the outfield...etc..then watch all the boys play their 7 innings.  It's a really good time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.