Skip to main content

Son is a LHP and has been asked to play with several teams.  Have pretty good knowledge of the program, however I was made aware there have been issues with over-use of pitchers.   It's a grind schedule for sure and I am certain there have been issues and I know they are certainly not isolated to this league.  Any past experiences are welcome.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My take is a little different.  If your son is a player, then the idea is to play.  The summertime is the best time to play baseball.  You can tell him before he leaves, if your arm is tired let the coach know.  Encourage him to go out and build up his arm strength for the next college season.  Rather than lament negative things out of your control, feel thankful your son has one of the best opportunities possible for high-level baseball players.  That is a blessing that not many kids have.  Encourage him to take advantage of it and then go and enjoy watching him play.

When S played there were very strict rules about pitchers and use (2011). (E.g., 35 pitch inning and pitcher is done; over a certain number of pitches and he's done for multiple days, etc.) Current rules look the same. https://northwoodsleague.com/a...pitching-guidelines/

It is his college coach's job to coordinate with his Northwood's manager so that both are on the same pitching page.

Even a full season contract can be shortened once max innings are reached. 

Umpires were inconsistent - especially if your magic pitch was a breaking ball (both the zone and checked swings were challenges).

Yes, it is a grind. It's the closest pro-ball experience a kid can have while playing in college; long bus rides, and motels, no days off. I've known guys to alter their baseball dreams because of that grind.

Last edited by Goosegg

Appreciate the input,  certainly aware his college coach will have control over most of the detail (IP) and that may change as his role this season may be varied this spring.  I looked over in detail the innings pitched on several rosters and found many to be between 25-50 IP's which I don's see as an issue and in detail it's appears reasonable rest was given (rules followed).  He has always taken care of his arm and it's health has been something I preached for years.  As one of the top summer leagues in the country it's an chance to additional exposure.   Again I welcome any comments, I don't frequent this site as much as I use to but knew there have been parents that had experience with this.

My son pitched in the NWL last summer and plans to go back this summer.  I agree with all of the comments above; excellent quality of competition and a great atmosphere to play in every night.  We didn't see any over use of pitchers on his team.  I think he was one of 3 guys on his team between 50-55 IP which was the upper limit.  The pitch counts were strictly adhered to, and pitchers came and went from the roster as they reached their max IP (as determined by their college coaches).

keewart posted:

Keewartson had a tremendous experience playing for LaCrosse.   He was a MIF, but his LHP roommate that summer from his same school, did fine.   As mentioned above, let his college coach touch base with the summer pitching coach of any limitations.

LaCrosse is where he will be at this summer.  Limitations TBD

All of the leagues in the NACSB  (all tax-exempt nonprofit leagues and teams) have adopted "Pitch Smart" Guidelines, now "rules".  In the Valley League, a violation results in a hefty fine so the pitch count rules are followed and the official scorer's count (computer generated) controls.  I am not aware as to whether any of the leagues with privately owned teams have done so.  College coaches do frequently dictate how their pitchers are to be used-# of innings, # of pitches, days of rest, etc., but the Pitch Smart rules handle arm protection pretty well.

hokieone posted:

All of the leagues in the NACSB  (all tax-exempt nonprofit leagues and teams) have adopted "Pitch Smart" Guidelines, now "rules".  In the Valley League, a violation results in a hefty fine so the pitch count rules are followed and the official scorer's count (computer generated) controls.  I am not aware as to whether any of the leagues with privately owned teams have done so.  College coaches do frequently dictate how their pitchers are to be used-# of innings, # of pitches, days of rest, etc., but the Pitch Smart rules handle arm protection pretty well.

Good to know. Here's a current list of member leagues from their website.

Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League
Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League
California Collegiate League
Cape Cod Baseball League
Florida Collegiate Summer League
Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League
Hamptons Collegiate Baseball League
New England Collegiate Baseball League
New York Collegiate Baseball League
Southern Collegiate Baseball League
Sunbelt Baseball League
Valley Baseball League