Skip to main content

cabbage1 posted:

Any more than 14 and you are pandering to parents.    If you have PO's carry no more than 3 then the rest are position players.  You need 

4 Outfielders(2 CF min) - 4 Infielders(2 SS min) - 3 Catchers who can play 1B/3B 

If you play 30 Games in a season -  You need to cover 200 IP  and you probably only have 900 PA's

Your 3 best pitchers get 140 Innings  So you have 60 left (3 Guys).  Your top 7 Hitter get 700 PA's you only have 200 left  (5 Guys)   - Guaranteed 3 of your top 6 pitchers are everyday players.

High school Baseball is 4 Weeks Pre-Season 7-8 Weeks Regular season.  75% of teams are out after the second tournament game.   Asking a kid to give up 200+ hours and then not giving them innings or PA's is really a waste of time.     Summer ball is different you play 11+ Weekends  and you can play 6-8 Games per week.  you need extra bodies  especially Catchers and Pitchers.  So a quality PO in summer is Gold.

Thank you! Finally someone willing to speak the truth! I personally think 15 is the perfect number. “Asking a kid to give up 200+ hours and then not giving them innings or PA’s is a waste of time” is the truth! I am so tired of hearing the “but they know their role and accept it” argument from people on this board. Thanks for posting this.

Not meaning to be offensive at all, but I have a feeling neither one of you has led a high school program? Not judging, just trying to get perspective. If you have I'd love to hear your location and experiences, because that roster sounds a bit utopian.

I generally just giggle at people who tell me how to parent my children only to find out they have none of their own.

cabbage1 posted:

Any more than 14 and you are pandering to parents.    If you have PO's carry no more than 3 then the rest are position players.  You need 

4 Outfielders(2 CF min) - 4 Infielders(2 SS min) - 3 Catchers who can play 1B/3B 

If you play 30 Games in a season -  You need to cover 200 IP  and you probably only have 900 PA's

Your 3 best pitchers get 140 Innings  So you have 60 left (3 Guys).  Your top 7 Hitter get 700 PA's you only have 200 left  (5 Guys)   - Guaranteed 3 of your top 6 pitchers are everyday players.

High school Baseball is 4 Weeks Pre-Season 7-8 Weeks Regular season.  75% of teams are out after the second tournament game.   Asking a kid to give up 200+ hours and then not giving them innings or PA's is really a waste of time.     Summer ball is different you play 11+ Weekends  and you can play 6-8 Games per week.  you need extra bodies  especially Catchers and Pitchers.  So a quality PO in summer is Gold.

I think your math is off.  If you have 4 infielders and 4 infielders and 3 catchers/1B/3B, thats 11 position players.  That's the minimum you defined, which implies more is ok - but wait. So then your 3 best pitchers become your only pitchers since that gets your total 14.  Anything above these minimums and the coach becomes a panderer?

Or are you going to suggest that the position players with the best arms (SS, CF, catcher) also pitch and put their arm health at risk?

Smitty28 posted:
cabbage1 posted:

I think your math is off.  If you have 4 infielders and 4 infielders and 3 catchers/1B/3B, thats 11 position players.  That's the minimum you defined, which implies more is ok - but wait. So then your 3 best pitchers become your only pitchers since that gets your total 14.  Anything above these minimums and the coach becomes a panderer?

Or are you going to suggest that the position players with the best arms (SS, CF, catcher) also pitch and put their arm health at risk?

Something else to consider is that you can’t predetermine the exact make up of your team. 

We currently we have two D1 catchers but some years you may not have one good catcher in your program. 

Our program is currently pretty deep with young outfielders so we had some kid who may normally make one of the teams get cut. 

Also, if you can believes this, we are struggling to find a first baseman this season. 

Last edited by hshuler

GCL Cincinnati  3 of the top 10 Schools in the State last year

And yes most of them have 2 way players

Moeller -       147/169 IP by Top 6,   590/670 AB  Top 11

LaSalle -        164.0/170 IP by Top 6,  507/661 AB  Top 11

St. Xavier-      174.1 / 187 IP by Top 6,   684/742 AB Top 11

If you had a Roster of 22   At best 15 Players Scramble for 30.2 IP and 172  More than likely 24 Scrambling for the scraps.   To get at best 12 AB's and 2 IP's or at worst 6 AB and 1 Inning.

These teams have the deepest rosters in the state.    Last year it was wet and not all the games were played and they had some shortened games.

GaryMe posted:
cabbage1 posted:

Thank you! Finally someone willing to speak the truth! I personally think 15 is the perfect number. “Asking a kid to give up 200+ hours and then not giving them innings or PA’s is a waste of time” is the truth! I am so tired of hearing the “but they know their role and accept it” argument from people on this board. Thanks for posting this.

But isn't that what you are asking at least 6 players to do with your agreement that "15 is the perfect number"?  Know their role and accept it?  9 start.  Even if you have a few PO's, there are still very necessary and important role players.  Even the PO's most likely would prefer to be more than PO's particularly in HS ball.  And some of the starting 9 may very well not be playing the position they would prefer either.  Regardless of whether we're talking 13, 15, 20, 22 or whatever the roster number for whatever the reason, everyone needs to know and embrace their role.  Without this, a team won't reach it's potential.

Last edited by cabbagedad
GaryMe posted:
cabbage1 posted:

“Asking a kid to give up 200+ hours”

Thats called prepping for travel ball and isn’t “giving up” anything.  My kid would gladly “give up” hundreds of hours a month to practice and play baseball if I’d let him!

cabbage1 posted:

"High school Baseball is 4 weeks Pre-Season 7-8 Weeks Regular season."

You sure about that? Or is that just where you are?

cabbage1 posted:

GCL Cincinnati  3 of the top 10 Schools in the State last year

And yes most of them have 2 way players

Moeller -       147/169 IP by Top 6,   590/670 AB  Top 11

LaSalle -        164.0/170 IP by Top 6,  507/661 AB  Top 11

St. Xavier-      174.1 / 187 IP by Top 6,   684/742 AB Top 11

If you had a Roster of 22   At best 15 Players Scramble for 30.2 IP and 172  More than likely 24 Scrambling for the scraps.   To get at best 12 AB's and 2 IP's or at worst 6 AB and 1 Inning.

These teams have the deepest rosters in the state.    Last year it was wet and not all the games were played and they had some shortened games.

Cabbage1, I don't necessarily disagree with your argument that 15 is a good number.  In fact, that is usually where we land.  However, I know coaches who run with more for a variety of reasons completely different than pandering to the parents and they and their players are very successful.

I don't completely follow your math in your statement after the stats.  But there are certainly some scenarios where, for example, a #7 underclass P on a good senior laden V team getting 10-15 IP against V opponents, daily practice work and regular intersquad with the V squad and V coaches and regular instruction from the V pitching coach could certainly be more advantageous than getting 30-50 innings against relatively inferior JV opposition and working out regularly with relatively inferior players.  Same could be said for a #12,13 position player getting just 15-20 AB's in V games.   BTW, keep in mind that JV/frosh needs to be slanted toward development so, IMO, there is no way a P should get 60+ IP.  It should be spread out among several P's that show potential and need to be developed.

Another factor - it is near impossible to get through a HS season with the same players healthy, eligible and engaged as where you started in the winter.  this winter, we were running V at 16 with a plan to start the season at 15.  The number unexpectedly stayed at 16 for a very long time.  With a heavy JV roster, I thought this was going to backfire on me as I also wanted to be able to rotate some JV with us occasionally.  Rosters were posted.  Then, in a very short window, we lost four guys.  Three permanently, one temporarily.  It will take a while to get a few of the JV replacements up to speed fully and comfortable with the way V is run and the level of competition differences.  Had I kept a larger V roster to account for the inevitable attrition, the team would be in better shape to absorb these losses.

Last edited by cabbagedad
Every coach needs to make roster decisions based on their circumstance.
15-16 is much better than 22 in my opinion

I would rather keep my roster lean and pull up jv as needed, than keep 5 or
6 seniors wasting away on the bench.

So my point of contrast was that about 14 players get significant playing
Time on varsity. I see guys stay on a team so they can say they played
for super team and had only 1 ab.

The bench warmers take away valuable practice time from the mid level
players and top jv
cabbage1 posted:
North of the Mason Dixon line it's pretty accurate we are in Cincinnati and
weather prevents a longer season

Sure, but in lots of the country it's not the case. Just by way of example, here's a local high school's winter (preseason) schedule -- not my son's school, but this one just happens to put their winter schedule online: www.westranchbaseball.com/fall/

I count about 45 winter games, before their ~30 game spring season starts. Hard to do that with 14 on the roster (this school has 21).

We have 22. There are kids that don't see the field much but our coach  does try to get kids in 6-7th innings if we have a good lead. Our tournament this weekend was 6 games so we used 6 starters and 5 relievers just for pitching.  I think every kid saw the field for multiple games or at least hit.  We are 6A and are 11-0.  I complain in my head a bit but it's working.

Page 1 on the attached is the team I scored for in 2017, page 2 is for 2016 for the I scored for in 2015/2016, and the last page is from 2014 for the team I scored for from 2007-2014. Last year’s team was 14-14, the 2016 team was 3-23-1, and the 2014 team was 21-5.

The number of players on a roster has nothing to do with how well the team will perform!

Attachments

Files (1)
ironhorse posted:

Not meaning to be offensive at all, but I have a feeling neither one of you has led a high school program? Not judging, just trying to get perspective. If you have I'd love to hear your location and experiences, because that roster sounds a bit utopian.

I generally just giggle at people who tell me how to parent my children only to find out they have none of their own.

Love when someone says, “not trying to be offensive” and then is offensive, Ironhorse. You are the most passive aggressive poster on this board, and I know you think a lot of yourself but I’ve also heard about how laughably bad your HS team is that you coach. Get over yourself, you aren’t all that.

Last edited by GaryMe
GaryMe posted:
ironhorse posted:

Love when someone says, “not trying to be offensive” and then is offensive, Ironhorse. You are the most passive aggressive poster on this board, and I know you think a lot of yourself but I’ve also heard about how laughably bad your HS team is that you coach. Get over yourself, you aren’t all that.

Where the heck is the thumbs down button???

GaryMe posted:
ironhorse posted:

Haha. We’re definitely poorly coached, I’ll give you that. 

Feel free to let me know an actual name of the person who thinks we’re “laughably bad” so we can at least debate it like adults rather than lob claims in side room PMs like insecure kids.  I’m happy to discuss it whenever. I’m having trouble getting replies from your other screen name  

So im guessing the answer to my question was “no?” You’ve never actually coached anything, just someone who likes to complain and pretend they know things?

Easy Now,

Lets play nice in the sand box.   Can anyone properly defend a high school Roster over 15 or 16 players based upon opportunity for the kids to get time on the field

My comments have been that in most lineups the top 11 players get AB/PA's and about 6 get IP's.  In many high schools the top 2 or 3 position players also pitch.   So I believe a Roster of 14-16 players. 

With the exception of a few states,  most states including FL and CA play about 30 Games per year.  Alabama, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Georgia and Michigan being exceptions.  Go to Max preps and look at the records of teams by states  and you will see high school baseball is a short season.

cabbage1 posted:

Easy Now,

Lets play nice in the sand box.   Can anyone properly defend a high school Roster over 15 or 16 players based upon opportunity for the kids to get time on the field

My comments have been that in most lineups the top 11 players get AB/PA's and about 6 get IP's.  In many high schools the top 2 or 3 position players also pitch.   So I believe a Roster of 14-16 players. 

With the exception of a few states,  most states including FL and CA play about 30 Games per year.  Alabama, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Georgia and Michigan being exceptions.  Go to Max preps and look at the records of teams by states  and you will see high school baseball is a short season.

My sons 22 person roster had 5 games this week, 4 next week.  Everyone got to play to this week, and everyone got to sit, at some point. I think it worked out well and I think having only 14 kids would have screwed us royaly since 9 kids pitched over 5 games and protecting their arms is important.

cabbage1 posted:

Easy Now,

I had a varsity roster of 18 with 2 or 3 who went between varsity and JV so I can't justify keeping 20+.  

I forget who made the comment about players making the team and knowing their role but your anger is misplaced.  I just made cuts and had to cut a senior who played last year.  She was willing to do anything to be on the team.  There were several reason but not the least of which was that it was her senior year and she wanted to do anything just to be on the team including knowing she would never get into a game.  I had a long talk with this player about a 34 game schedule before the playoff run.  3 months of drudgery as this player would never play.  I think that we have 4 freshmen better as we have one of the best freshmen classes in our school's history.  (Yesterday in practice, these 4 were taking balls off of the fence like they were seasoned veteran at the plate.  None got one out but they hit the fence a lot.  Anyway, this player begged to stay.  So, given the statement about someone knowing their role and it being indefensible, do you cut this player?  

If I told the Players I was only keeping 18, yes I would cut the player.   You have to remember your first commitment is to the top 18 players, and by cutting this player as hard as it may be, it makes it clear to the other 18 that they have to keep working as hard as they can.  As Satchel Paige Said " Don't look back, someone may be gaining on you"

Just watched Patton and the last words of the movie     .........Glory is fleeting!

CoachB25 posted:
cabbage1 posted:

Easy Now,

I had a varsity roster of 18 with 2 or 3 who went between varsity and JV so I can't justify keeping 20+.  

I forget who made the comment about players making the team and knowing their role but your anger is misplaced.  I just made cuts and had to cut a senior who played last year.  She was willing to do anything to be on the team.  There were several reason but not the least of which was that it was her senior year and she wanted to do anything just to be on the team including knowing she would never get into a game.  I had a long talk with this player about a 34 game schedule before the playoff run.  3 months of drudgery as this player would never play.  I think that we have 4 freshmen better as we have one of the best freshmen classes in our school's history.  (Yesterday in practice, these 4 were taking balls off of the fence like they were seasoned veteran at the plate.  None got one out but they hit the fence a lot.  Anyway, this player begged to stay.  So, given the statement about someone knowing their role and it being indefensible, do you cut this player?  

What's the downside of keeping her. A lot of life is "want to."  Give me an employee who wants to be there and I can find a productive role for that person.  

CoachB25 posted:
cabbage1 posted:

Easy Now,

You let her have her last Hoora and picture in the yearbook.  Maybe she can keep the gamechanger account, we have one of those.

cabbage1 posted:

Can anyone properly defend a high school Roster over 15 or 16 players based upon opportunity for the kids to get time on the field

I'm not a coach, I'm the parent of a kid who lettered in basketball, although I don't know that he played more than 10 minutes over a season. He wasn't very good, and he knew it, but he benefited from being on the team, and the team benefited from him being there (per the coach's comments at end of season and comments from other players on the team).

If the only criteria for deciding on the number of payers is getting time on the field, you may be right.

But it's not the only criteria. 

Iowamom23 posted:
cabbage1 posted:

Can anyone properly defend a high school Roster over 15 or 16 players based upon opportunity for the kids to get time on the field

I'm not a coach, I'm the parent of a kid who lettered in basketball, although I don't know that he played more than 10 minutes over a season. He wasn't very good, and he knew it, but he benefited from being on the team, and the team benefited from him being there (per the coach's comments at end of season and comments from other players on the team).

If the only criteria for deciding on the number of payers is getting time on the field, you may be right.

But it's not the only criteria. 

Well, even using that criteria ("the opportunity for the kids to get time on the field"), I went back and checked last year's stats. Not counting the three pitchers who threw 2 IP, 2 IP, and 1 IP, there were 7 pitchers who got innings (low of 10, high of 51). All were POs. Excluding four hitters who got <10 PAs, there were 13 hitters who got 15 or more PAs (with the high being 99). So that's 20 kids right there that got time on the field. If you factored winter ball and summer ball in, it would be a much larger group who got "time on the field."

Each situation is different. Low 20s rosters seem normal around here. But I recognize there might be other places with different set ups (for example, fewer POs) where a lower number would make sense.

I'll accept that as a good argument.    

The relationship between roster size and schedule holds water.  So if you can play 5 games a week or you play 35+ Games it might warrant a roster of 20+

So the answer to the original question.  A 22 player varsity roster is acceptable  as long as the schedule allows for an acceptable amount of playing time.    minimum 15-20 AB or 10+ innings.

I think this thread and the one on whether scouts care if you toil in "a bad program" come down to the same point — does a kid have the mental fortitude to inspire himself to be his best, despite not getting all the playing time he wants, despite being in a bad program, and I'll go ahead and add, working with a coach he may not like?

There are lots of ways to learn to play baseball and to keep getting better.

But having the mental attitude that you will give your best even when it's hard, is tough. It's within yourself, it's something you have to do for yourself and I think it's a hard skill to learn, and probably almost impossible to teach.

Those who don't have that mental strength quit and probably should. Those who do have it, play on.

HRCJR posted:

My son's school is in the same conference and we have 24 or 25.  We have horrible weather where games get cancelled and have to be made up and a condensed season (late March to early May).  Some weeks they play 1-2 games and other weeks every day because of the weather.  All of the kids played some, many played regularly and they needed every one of their 9-10 pitchers.  

Midwest Mom posted:
HRCJR posted:

My son's school is in the same conference and we have 24 or 25.  We have horrible weather where games get cancelled and have to be made up and a condensed season (late March to early May).  Some weeks they play 1-2 games and other weeks every day because of the weather.  All of the kids played some, many played regularly and they needed every one of their 9-10 pitchers.  

25 varsity

30 jv

18 fresh

Midwest Mom posted:
HRCJR posted:

Completely agree.  My '17 son played at a school in the same area and they had 23 on the Varsity roster.  16 or 17 made significant contributions over the season. Another 3 or 4 were needed in the weeks where the team played 6 straight days due to rainouts - including a 12 inning game.  Injuries, sore arms, mandatory school events, college visits (if West Point wants you there on certain date - you go) often prevented a full roster being available.  Not sure how a coach would ever keep only 14 players.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.