Skip to main content

The high school season starts tomorrow in Georgia, although son’s high school has their opener on Tuesday. 

Can you guys (collegiate parents too) chime in on your state or conference (college folks) and when is/was your season opener and also the season outlook? I know that some college divisions have started already and D1 opens on Friday.  

Son’s high school should compete for region championship and make a deep playoff run like last year when we lost in the semis. Lost some senior leadership so curious to see if some of the younger players, including son, can step up and fill their leadership shoes. 

We should score a lot but lost 22 wins from two guys who are pitching in college now. We have some talented pitchers but not nearly the experience so, like always, pitching will determine our fate. 

T-minus two days, one hour and ten minutes until first pitch...but who’s counting? :-)

Last edited by hshuler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good luck to your boy and his team!   Going to miss HS ball this year. Well, not too much as I'll probably attend a fair number of games.  I'm expecting 2017's former team to do well this year.

Here in CA the Juco season began 1/26.  

My son plays D3 and they began last weekend -- 2/2. I'm not sure how many of his games we'll get to.  4 next weekend for sure. After that, I don't know.  But I'll be seeing plenty of JC games to see teammates of my son's, and see others in Pac 12 and West Coast Conference games.  One former teammate is at Long Beach State this year, and I really want to see him play, but unfortunately they are not coming any further north than Cal Poly this year.

Last edited by JCG
hshuler posted:

Can you guys (collegiate parents too) chime in on your state or conference (college folks) and when is/was your season opener and also the season outlook? I know that some college divisions have started already and D1 opens on Friday

WV High School .....sons season starts March 16! Makes us really jealous of you southern guys! 

2019Lefty21

YOU'RE jealous? We're in Iowa, first game is MAY 21. Should be a good year, lost two starters to graduation and they won't be too tough to replace. My 2018 is a RHP and he and his coach are studying the schedule laying out the pitching plans so he will be available for the post season on the days they want him.

In the meantime, we're hoping the snow melts by March 17, which is the home opener for the D3 here in our community. And dreaming about next season when son will be off at his D1, hopefully packing for Florida for their season opener there. If the weather is anything next year like it is this year, we'll go along just to get warm!

Herb, good luck to your kid. Son’s team opens this weekend with Notre Dame. I really have no idea what to expect. We lost SO much from last year’s team, including the entire weekend rotation. Like you said, there is talent just short on experience. We will see. I just see it as opportunity for some new faces to take a much larger role. We have Texas coming in the following weekend. I think we are going to get a pretty good idea where we stand pretty early. I also think this team will be much better in May than February. We shall see. Geaux Tigers!

JCG posted:

Good luck to your boy and his team!   Going to miss HS ball this year. Well, not too much as I'll probably attend a fair number of games.  I'm expecting 2017's former team to do well this year.

Here in CA the Juco season began 1/26.  

My son plays D3 and they began last weekend -- 2/2. I'm not sure how many of his games we'll get to.  4 next weekend for sure. After that, I don't know.  But I'll be seeing plenty of JC games to see teammates of my son's, and see others in Pac 12 and West Coast Conference games.  One former teammate is at Long Beach State this year, and I really want to see him play, but unfortunately they are not coming any further north than Cal Poly this year.

Thanks and same to yours!

younggun posted:

Herb, good luck to your kid. Son’s team opens this weekend with Notre Dame. I really have no idea what to expect. We lost SO much from last year’s team, including the entire weekend rotation. Like you said, there is talent just short on experience. We will see. I just see it as opportunity for some new faces to take a much larger role. We have Texas coming in the following weekend. I think we are going to get a pretty good idea where we stand pretty early. I also think this team will be much better in May than February. We shall see. Geaux Tigers!

Same to Lefty, thanks!

We’re planning on catching a game or two at “The Box” this spring so hopefully, we can meet if you guys will be there too. 

Iowamom23 posted:

2019Lefty21

YOU'RE jealous? We're in Iowa, first game is MAY 21. Should be a good year, lost two starters to graduation and they won't be too tough to replace. My 2018 is a RHP and he and his coach are studying the schedule laying out the pitching plans so he will be available for the post season on the days they want him.

In the meantime, we're hoping the snow melts by March 17, which is the home opener for the D3 here in our community. And dreaming about next season when son will be off at his D1, hopefully packing for Florida for their season opener there. If the weather is anything next year like it is this year, we'll go along just to get warm!

Ok... I guess I have nothing to gripe about! Our kids get out of school June 4. By May 21 we will be getting ready for state tournament we hope!

2019Lefty21 posted:
Iowamom23 posted:

2019Lefty21

Ok... I guess I have nothing to gripe about! Our kids get out of school June 4. By May 21 we will be getting ready for state tournament we hope!

The state championships in Georgia are May 21st - 23rd. 

BaseballParent23 posted:

Pre-season classic starts Tuesday. Here in central Florida it's been upper 80's. Wayy too hot in the day, but good for night time baseball.

It’s been a very cold four weeks of preseason baseball here in GA.

The good news is that we’ll be down there in a week and a half to play Berkeley Prep and Jesuit.

#jealousofyourweather

Last edited by hshuler
hshuler posted:

The high school season starts tomorrow in Georgia, although son’s high school has their opener on Tuesday. 

Can you guys (collegiate parents too) chime in on your state or conference (college folks) and when is/was your season opener and also the season outlook? I know that some college divisions have started already and D1 opens on Friday.  

Son’s high school should compete for region championship and make a deep playoff run like last year when we lost in the semis. Lost some senior leadership so curious to see if some of the younger players, including son, can step up and fill their leadership shoes. 

We should score a lot but lost 22 wins from two guys who are pitching in college now. We have some talented pitchers but not nearly the experience so, like always, pitching will determine our fate. 

T-minus two days, one hour and ten minutes until first pitch...but who’s counting? :-)

Tryout's in Nebraska is Feb. 26th and the first game is Mar. 16th.  But, the kids have been attending "voluntary" M/W/F morning (6 am) workouts since Sept and hitting and bullpens since December.  Our school has 3 teams, Varsity, JV, and Reserve, graduated a good group of seniors last year, so this varsity season may not be the greatest.  But they had a good batch of Freshman come in so Reserve and JV might have a good year.

Tryouts/practice began Jan.28.  Intermediate ball league play starts 2/20.  Varsity starts a week later.  Pre season tournaments til then.  Three teams from our league (out of 8) will make state playoffs.  5 of those teams have a legit shot, so it's going to be an interesting season. We have strength up the middle (D1 SS, D1 #1 starter, D2 CF, D3 Catcher) Other guys are talented but unproven, juniors in Left and at second, sophs in right, third, and first base and half the pitching staff.

College practices in NESCAC start 2/15.  Week long trip to Florida 3/10-3/18 to begin games.  No idea what to expect at this time, though historically team has been in top four in conference for several years running, so has made league playoffs.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.