Skip to main content

I had never heard of this until a post last week about new arm pain when a kid was asked to change his pitching mechanics.  I am now a little concerned that my son does this.  No one has ever mentioned it to us and I'm wondering if we should address it.  I don't know if he would even be able to change it at this point or what else we could do to prevent injury.  Is this really a reliable indicator of future problems?

Last edited by baseballhs
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just like many other "indicators of potential future injury" type factors - it depends.

A lot of guys who have TJ issues do it.  A lot of guys who have TJ issues don't. Some guys who do it, do it at a different timing than other guys.

It's very difficult to look at a single factor in the pitching motion as being the smoking gun in arm injuries.

It's better to focus on things you know matter - conditioning, and fatigue vs. trying to eliminate every possible injury factor that has been speculated on.

Below is more drivel from the same troublemaker, some years prior.  Another "pitching mechanics crisis that will lead to injury and extinction" by the same guy.  I think if you never mentioned to a kid where to point the ball at cocking or whatever it's called, that would be the right place for him to point it, given the mechanics are good in his motion.

Kinda like saying to a basketball player "Exhaling on your jump shot will make you 20% more accurate".  Basketball players would never think about their breathing on jump shots, until you mention it.

But what do I know?

Death To The Inverted W - Chris O'Leary

Jul 26, 2007 - The Inverted W, which I initially called The M, is a pitching arm action that I believe is one of the driving forces behind the pitcher injury and tommy john surgery epidemic because it can create a problem with a pitcher's Timing
Last edited by Go44dad

I hate to be the bearer of bad news,  but I do think the tommy john twist can lead to arm troubles,  and the inverted W isn't great either.    O'Leary is not the only preacher of this,   the pitching ranch is a big believer in this from an arm action stand point as well as several others.

try this,  https://www.oatesspecialties.c...ess/connection-ball/

some work with this device can help get your arm action mapped properly,   you might want to  look at driveline's program also,  many of the weighted throws are designed to get your arm action corrected as well.  

gunner34 posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news,  but I do think the tommy john twist can lead to arm troubles,  and the inverted W isn't great either.    O'Leary is not the only preacher of this,   the pitching ranch is a big believer in this from an arm action stand point as well as several others.

Jeez, you had to mention the name...

Anyway - yes these things can be a factor. The problem you run into is internet gurus who want to point at any particular part of the delivery and think they have come up with the holy grail of injury prevention.

There are so many working parts involved that taking any one of them in isolation is never going to tell you the complete story.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.