Skip to main content

A local D2 baseball program was cut last night, along with tennis and golf and a host of other cuts across the university system. This hits close to home, as I know a 2108 who committed to them last fall, choosing University of Nebraska-Kearney over other offers. He's now three months out from graduation and has to pick between scurrying for a (possibly nonexistent) similar spot or giving up baseball and still attending the school. 

It seems like almost every university system is under a money crunch these days. Are there any questions we can ask that would help prevent this from happening to my 2020?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Unfortunately these things are becoming more and more common.  The problem is that the schools don't publicize it ahead of time....it just happens all of the sudden like this one.  My son was considering Akron...fortunately he ended up elsewhere.  A month before the start of what would have been his freshman year, they cancelled baseball....leaving all the kids in the program...and some kids in his grade that he knew that were planning to attend out in the cold.  Kids really struggled to find someplace to play....some ended up transferring, some just gave up baseball.  Same thing happened last year to another MAC team...when Buffalo announced baseball was done....though they did it at the end of last season so the kids had time to make other plans for this year.   I'm fairly certain that asking won't do you any good....as unfortunately the coaches usually find out the same time as everyone else when these kind of cuts come down. 

Here is a D2 school with a decent baseball program that the whole university just shut down and it happened fairly quickly. This is not a fly by  night school its a catholic college that had been around for quite awhile with some alums that have high positions in business. As of the year before they were actively recruiting players and students to the school.  I know the players were then scrambling to find new homes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20170210-story.html

This is going to be a concern for a while with state budgets being what they are and funding being cut for colleges. There has to be a way with tact to bring this question up to the coaches.

While you are visiting take a true hard look at what you are seeing.  What enhancements have been made over the past several years to facilities?  Do they have a contract with supplier of uniforms + equipment?  If it is not readily apparent, ask what has been added last several years.  If answer is not much, that could be a good indicator that the program is struggling and is not getting the proper funding from school to prosper.

Ja'Crispy posted:

Here is a D2 school with a decent baseball program that the whole university just shut down and it happened fairly quickly. This is not a fly by  night school its a catholic college that had been around for quite awhile with some alums that have high positions in business. As of the year before they were actively recruiting players and students to the school.  I know the players were then scrambling to find new homes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20170210-story.html

This is going to be a concern for a while with state budgets being what they are and funding being cut for colleges. There has to be a way with tact to bring this question up to the coaches.

It didn't occur to me before reading the article, but it's probably not a bad idea to check the school for problems with their accrediting organizations. St. Joseph's was placed on probation kind of late in the process, but it doesn't hurt to check.

https://www.hlcommission.org/S...closure-notices.html

You can also google the school or the accrediting organization + the school name + "public discloses".

CatsPop posted:

While you are visiting take a true hard look at what you are seeing.  What enhancements have been made over the past several years to facilities?  Do they have a contract with supplier of uniforms + equipment?  If it is not readily apparent, ask what has been added last several years.  If answer is not much, that could be a good indicator that the program is struggling and is not getting the proper funding from school to prosper.

Construction projects on campus, while not attractive, Show college growth and stability. Look at what improvements have been made to the baseball program of late. Stadium improvements, field turf installation, new workout facilities are all positive signs of a school invested in the program.

I know I am a little late to the party here, but just wanted to add that sometimes you just can't know.  My son was recruited by UNK and offered a very nice scholarship.  He had a friend who signed with them and another who almost did.  While I agree that looking at the investment the school has made and is making into the program is wise, it doesn't always tell the full story.  In this case they have very nice facilities, showed us their plans for the future, they have good community support, there was absolutely nothing that would have given us a clue that this was coming.  Honestly, we were much more concerned about the future of the UN-Omaha team than UNK.  So you really have to just make sure that the school you pick is one that is a fit for both academics and baseball. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.