Skip to main content

As a 5 hole protection batter behind a power cleanup, what type of pitching should the 5 hole expect to get? In this case, a lefty bopper at cleanup is a true power guy, and the 5 hole is also a lefty that has some power.

I believe that the 5 hole will see more fastballs in the strike zone over the course of time, expecially if the 4 is regularly walked. But the cleanup is not a steal threat at all and 5 has average speed. The other opinion is that the 5 batter will be pitched soft and away in hopes of getting a ground ball for a DP or a fly ball and that 5 will not see fastballs in this situation.

Perhaps instead of asking what should 5 expect to see, a better question might be how would you as a coach or pitcher, pitch to 5 after walking the 4?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When I coached, it really just depended on the hitter. I tried to quickly assess if there was a "hole" in the swing.

Can he get the barrel to the inside fastball? Can he stay back on the soft stuff? Does he pull off of the outside pitch? Good hitter or not, as GO44 said, it's about making quality pitches.

But to answer your question, I think most pitch callers would treat a five hitter pretty similar to a cleanup hitter. 

Well... the discussion I was having was along these lines... I thought it would be "bettter" to hit behind the masher and see fastballs in the zone if he was walked, as the pitcher wouldn't want to walk two in a row.

The flipside to this discussion, is that it is preferable to hit in the 2 hole behind the leadoff. You would see more fastballs if the leadoff got on in order to give the catcher a better chance on the steal. A completely different discussion.

But, to stick on point to my original question, how would you as a pitcher or coach pitch the 5 hole if you just walked the big bopper at cleanup?

Consultant posted:

Do not assume. Questions  - How many outs, the score, the inning, wind blowing out or in, the umpires strike zone, turf, grass or dirt infield. 

Bob

You are correct, Sir, however... that's why I'm looking at this over the course of a season. Can't break down a hypothetical for each individual at bat. Just wondering over the course of a season what would be expected.

Well, keeping it very general (over the course of a year), you've already walked/worked around/somewhat worked around the 4 hitter so there is less wiggle room to somewhat work around the 5 hitter.  So, emphasis tilts more toward throwing strikes.  Which, generally, means likelihood of FB goes up.  But, man, there are a lot of variables.  Specific pitcher and hitter strengths, of course, come into play.  I'm as concerned with location as I am with pitch type.  Keep it down to keep double play in order.  But, then, so many LH hitters with some power seem to be good low ball hitters.  If I have a P that can locate a CU down in the zone, I'm likely to start with that.  But, if he misses and hitter doesn't offer, now it's almost a certain meat FB next pitch.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.