Skip to main content

Richard Schenck was a very controversial poster from10-15 years ago on this site.  I actually got to know him a little and he was much different than he appeared to be when posting.  He would get banned from the site and then come back with a new user name, but there was no doubt it was Richard returning to argue hitting.  The hitting forum was fairly popular back then.  Not many knew just how much passion he had or how much time he spent studying the art of hitting.  He finally gave up and moved on starting his own site.  The arguments back then on the HSBBW were entertaining in my opinion.

So whatever happened to Richard (teacherman)?  Just so happens he is a big reason for Aaron Judge's success.  For those interested read this... This is amazing, especially to those that remember him from many years ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/spor...in-the-al/ar-BBK1OWZ

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First off, welcome back PG - no idea where you've been but I am glad you are back.

Had no idea Richard was Teacherman but my son knows him well and has taken lessons from him.  Richard is a consultant with Coastal Carolina baseball so there are other people out there who are using his services.  I believe Ian Happ of the Cubs is another follower of Richard.  Baseball is a small world indeed.

Very cool story. As someone who only found this "little" site about 6 months ago, I'm amazed at how this site has and still does include some pretty influential people in the game of baseball (and that definitely includes you PG). Thanks again to all of you who share your knowledge and keep this site going to help kids you've never met. 

Zia2021 posted:

Very cool story. As someone who only found this "little" site about 6 months ago, I'm amazed at how this site has and still does include some pretty influential people in the game of baseball (and that definitely includes you PG). Thanks again to all of you who share your knowledge and keep this site going to help kids you've never met. 

You would be amazed how many people have passed through this site and how many relationships are intertwined.

I didnt visit the hitting forum that often but I will never forget Teacherman.

Thanks Jerry, great story.

there are a lot of swing gurus teaching the same approach now and to youth kids.   in fact my son has been working on some of these things over the last 18 months,    barrel swivel and hinging of the rear hip.      My son is 15 btw.   6"3  170.    What I have seen is a lot more pwr in practice and in the cages  and consistently hitting the ball hard.   On the field he is struggling with timing,  the swing is so much faster and more efficient that is he has not gotten used to waiting longer for the pitch to arrive,  he is having to erase all of his early years of when he decides to start his swing,  unfortunately as a freshman at a large high school,  they mainly just hit in cages off the tee and there are not enough reps to get the timing correct,  so have to work on it on our own.  

Last edited by gunner34

My son has worked with Rich for over a year now.  I too was a little skeptical based on his internet persona.  I can tell you from extensive personal experience, he's 180 degrees from that in person.  Very easy to talk to, courteous, and polite.  and he really knows his stuff and can communicate it well to the athletes.  he has a series of drills that breaks the technique down to it's components, and seems to really work for them.  

pabaseballdad posted:

My son has worked with Rich for over a year now.  I too was a little skeptical based on his internet persona.  I can tell you from extensive personal experience, he's 180 degrees from that in person.  Very easy to talk to, courteous, and polite.  and he really knows his stuff and can communicate it well to the athletes.  he has a series of drills that breaks the technique down to it's components, and seems to really work for them.  

Just goes to show, People can be much different in person. Written interaction, does not have the nuances as spoken communication face to face. People will say things over chat, and written communications that they would never say face to face. In written communication, it is impossible to pick up on non-verbal ques. 

The problem I have with Teacherman is the way the throws out a few comments but doesn't give any explanation.  Almost like he is trying to quiz you but you never find out what the hell he is saying.  Very vague in his answers.   You can also look at different hitters and see not all hitters even in the MLB who are successful do the same thing.  I mean if Ted Williams was coming up today, they would pick his swing apart.   

Ken Adams posted:

The problem I have with Teacherman is the way the throws out a few comments but doesn't give any explanation.  Almost like he is trying to quiz you but you never find out what the hell he is saying.  Very vague in his answers.   You can also look at different hitters and see not all hitters even in the MLB who are successful do the same thing.  I mean if Ted Williams was coming up today, they would pick his swing apart.   

He describes it quite detailed on his site. I think his stuff has some good things but most of his explanations really are biomechanical nonsense.

He did have a great sucess with judge but he also worked with kingery and happ before 2018 and they regressed a lot.

Can't really take judge away from him and that other guys in mlb want to work with him and many say he is ok in person but his internet appearance and his cult followers are really off the charts annoying.

Just recently him and o leary faced off on Twitter that was quite a show...

Dominik85 posted:
Ken Adams posted:

Just recently him and o leary faced off on Twitter that was quite a show...

The equivalent would be locking a lawyer and a life insurance agent in a room and only allowing one to come out alive. 

Disclaimer: It’s humor based on stereotypes. My daughter is a prosecutor. I have an insurance license as part of my business consulting (got tired of other people making money off my advice). 

Last edited by RJM

I think they both teach some good things but can't stand anyone that pretends to know it all or wont even consider they might not know it all or could learn from others.  I also can not stand the whole money grab.  Did teacherman start charging for his information?  I would like to see him do a clinic live where I could ask him in plain english things but feel like when he does his online things he is a bit of an ass, reminds me of skip carey back in the day for the braves, people would call in and ask him stuff and he treated them all like they were idiots.  From what I keep hearing teacherman is not like that in person, then why be that way on twitter and online?  

In person he is different, I skyped with him once or twice a decade ago and he explained me some stuff.

But still I can't Stand that he is ripping anyone in the industry as a fraud including guys like latta, wallenbrock, ochart or tewks (who started as a teacherman follower by the way). Rich definitely had some success but he acts like he is the only one in die industry who got it.

Btw i wouldnt even say he does that for money. He of course wants to make some money but he has a real passion for this, he behaves like this not to win clients  but because his ego needs to be right.

Even though they all loathe each other rich, o leary and mike Marshall are pretty similar in their personalities. Marshall has more class of course (doesn't use words like moron so often) but they all three insist that they are 100% right and everyone just doing it one percent differently are totally wrong.

Last edited by Dominik85

Ed, I know your boy received lessons from the BD and TM. Not to start a pissing match here, but can you share his experience with both? What did he find useful or not so useful from them? It is clear their internet bravado is not in RL but your son is the only one I know who was taught by both and the feedback is helpful

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.