Skip to main content

roothog66 posted:
cabbagedad posted:
nxt lvl posted:

Well....Sons high school career is over now. Ended late Sunday after an epic 12 inning game! Third game in the championship series. Winner take all game. What a ride!! Almost four hours of drama. We had the game won four different times in extra innings. Also we were up by two going into the seventh and gave up a three run homer and had to come back in the bottom of the seventh just to send it into extras. Came close to winning it there but stranded my son on third base.

A very dramatic game that included a bases loaded potentially series winning grounder that went through between the drawn-in second and first basemen to win the game but only to have the ball bounce off the runners leg to kill the play and suck the momentum out of everyone after the umpires cleared the field of celebrating players and fans.

We win it with a walk off home run from the same kid who got hit in the leg,in the twelfth, for the fifth straight championship and my sons third ring!! What a ride!!

Cant wait to see the next episode.....

Wow.  Not sure how you go forward with a baseball career and top that.  Wish you could post the last pitch of that one like Root did... we could just put up those two clips for those that come on and profess that HS baseball doesn't mean anything any more and isn't competitive. 

Congrats !!

Yep. Seeing my kid break into tears when it was mentioned that was his last home at bat...can't tell me HS ball doesn't mean anything anymore.

Makes me recall my son's last HS AB. Based loaded, 2 outs, down 11-1; 3 RBI double line shot. 11-4. Next batter backwards K. Oh well.

roothog66 posted:
TStevens posted:
roothog66 posted:
cabbagedad posted:
nxt lvl posted:

Well....Sons high school career is over now. Ended late Sunday after an epic 12 inning game! Third game in the championship series. Winner take all game. What a ride!! Almost four hours of drama. We had the game won four different times in extra innings. Also we were up by two going into the seventh and gave up a three run homer and had to come back in the bottom of the seventh just to send it into extras. Came close to winning it there but stranded my son on third base.

A very dramatic game that included a bases loaded potentially series winning grounder that went through between the drawn-in second and first basemen to win the game but only to have the ball bounce off the runners leg to kill the play and suck the momentum out of everyone after the umpires cleared the field of celebrating players and fans.

We win it with a walk off home run from the same kid who got hit in the leg,in the twelfth, for the fifth straight championship and my sons third ring!! What a ride!!

Wow.  Not sure how you go forward with a baseball career and top that.  Wish you could post the last pitch of that one like Root did... we could just put up those two clips for those that come on and profess that HS baseball doesn't mean anything any more and isn't competitive. 

Congrats !!

Yep. Seeing my kid break into tears when it was mentioned that was his last home at bat...can't tell me HS ball doesn't mean anything anymore.

So your son goes to Lamar? My son plays at Mountain Vista. small world. Good luck to you guys

Wow. Yeah, and I coach with Scott Boyd in the summers for the Yard Dawgs. 3A sort of get ignored in Colorado, but - if I can brag for a minute - he gets a mention on this show (at about the 7:45 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...amp;feature=youtu.be

We knocked out Legend in the regionals. A few Yard Dog alums onVista Team. My son is a year younger than Grant so "blocked" in a manner of speaking.

TStevens posted:
roothog66 posted:
TStevens posted:
roothog66 posted:
cabbagedad posted:
nxt lvl posted:

Congrats !!

So your son goes to Lamar? My son plays at Mountain Vista. small world. Good luck to you guys

Wow. Yeah, and I coach with Scott Boyd in the summers for the Yard Dawgs. 3A sort of get ignored in Colorado, but - if I can brag for a minute - he gets a mention on this show (at about the 7:45 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...amp;feature=youtu.be

We knocked out Legend in the regionals. A few Yard Dog alums onVista Team. My son is a year younger than Grant so "blocked" in a manner of speaking.

Only as a catcher. Grant caught Dalton in a bullpen when he threw for the Hawaii coach last year. Nice kid.

Well, our turn for it to end last night...

They reached a huge goal of winning league.  The other goal of a deep playoff run in the gauntlet of the very large and very competitive California Southern Section ended abruptly with an extra inning 2-1 loss at home in front of a big crowd.  We had turned momentum in our favor late and then it was suddenly over.  

There is something special and at the same time very painful about the end coming at home.  The boys got to hang around the field afterward and sort of process it all.  Several seniors sitting out on the grass for the last time, lots of crying and hugging.  I guess that means it really is special.  I've been through it far too often... I should be able to handle it by now.  I didn't.  Great group of now-young-men.  Great year.

Still drained and "eye allergies kicking in" again as I type this. 

Last edited by cabbagedad
cabbagedad posted:

Well, our turn for it to end last night...

They reached a huge goal of winning league.  The other goal of a deep playoff run in the gauntlet of the very large and very competitive California Southern Section ended abruptly with an extra inning 2-1 loss at home in front of a big crowd.  We had turned momentum in our favor late and then it was suddenly over.  

There is something special and at the same time very painful about the end coming at home.  The boys got to hang around the field afterward and sort of process it all.  Several seniors sitting out on the grass for the last time, lots of crying and hugging.  I guess that means it really is special.  I've been through it far too often... I should be able to handle it by now.  I didn't.  Great group of now-young-men.  Great year.

Still drained and "eye allergies kicking in" again as I type this. 

Hey Cabbagedad, I feel your pain.  Brings back painful memories also.  CA So Section also, lost ours bottom 7th, score tied (we were visitors) runner on 2nd, base hit , runner rounds 3rd trying to score. Our outfielder (D1 bound), error free entire year, made an error, game over.  Wasn't our day in the eyes of the baseball gods.  Oh, and btw, you would think there would be allergy meds for college seasons and beyond but my allergies still kick up!  Great you enjoyed the ride up until the last game.

Can't believe it's over.  It goes so fast.  My 2018 helped his high school team (Nor Cal high academic school with zero sports history) reach the Region playoffs for the first time in 25 years!  Playoff lasted one game, but the team competed to the end against a much stronger, stocked team.  Got a nice crowd of students and former players to come out and pack the visitor stands.  Great ride.  Not sure what I will do with myself now.

hshuler posted:
PitchingFan posted:

Team won district championship and lost next round.  Great season for a team that was not supposed to do anything special.  Son received South Carolina Class AA All State Player of the Year. 

Congrats! I grew up in SC. Would you mind  mentioning what high school he attends?

Blacksburg, SC   Blacksburg High School

We lost Friday night in the 4th round. It was a great game. Both starters were outstanding. Their guy had a no no through 8.1 and left because of pitch count. Our guy had a 1 hitter after 7.1 and only 1 hit allowed. We scored one in the top of the 9th to take a 1-0 lead. In the bottom of the 9th our closer who had only given up 1 er all year just lost command. He walked the lead off. The next guy put down a sac bunt that was perfectly placed and we didn't get him. Next hitter got an infield single. Next guy blooped one down he RF line and we lost 2-1. We finished 21-6 conference champs and lost in the elite 8. Very proud of my guys they fought to the last pitch. We lost those 6 games by a combined total of 8 runs. Five 1 run L's and a 3 run loss. The most runs we gave up in a single game was 4. 

It's always tough to see those seniors go. I was truly blessed to be their coach. 

I went to see 2017's HS team play 2nd round of section today and was treated to one of the best HS games I've ever seen.  It's great returning as an alumni parent and being able to enjoy the game without sweating how your kid does.

This game was a see-saw affair that ended in the bottom of the 9th with the good guys winning 4-3.  So many great plays. The opponent's CF made a crashing-into-the-wall catch, and their 3B made a bunch of outstanding plays, including one on a one-hopper hit so hard it literally knocked him onto his butt before getting up and gunning the hitter at 1st. Our guys made some fine plays too, snuffing out a suicide squeeze and turning a 5-3-6 (covering 3rd) double play.  Both pitchers went 8 innings.  Several clutch hits, including a double that tied the game in the bottom of the 7th, and that the player's dad proudly informed me had broken my son's school record for most hits in a season. I was glad to see him get it.  Semifinal game coming up!

2018's team is ranked #1 in State going into the post season. Unfortunately their section is the toughest in State, and upsets are usually the norm. The team can hit, and has two very good starters. Much better fielding than last year, but there are still a couple of holes. Also don't like the closing situation.

We'll see. Team has never won it all.

My 2018's HS baseball season came to an end yesterday, with a loss of 4-3 in the 8th inning.  Score was 2-2 through the 5th, son went yard to make it 3-2 to top of 7, other team tied it, taking it to extra innings.  This was the 3rd round losing the regional, we were seeded 13 and beat both the 4th and 5th seeds.  Bummer.  The last two games were some of the best HS baseball I've seen.

Son was up working out and hitting this morning.  A good sign.

Thankful for our veterans who serve us, I love this country.  Happy Memorial Day to you all!

Last edited by Gov

Our season isn't over yet! Double elimination state tourney started Friday. We won the first game, lost, and then won our elimination game to move on to the Final Four Friday and Saturday. My 2018 pitched the first game and struck out a career high 19 in 6.1 ip. The closer came in and struck out 2, so all 21 outs were by strikeout. I can't remember ever seeing that. Dalton did give up 2 hits, both to the same batter. So that guy is 2-for-3 against Dalton and everyone else is 1-for-139. He has one more high school start. Can't believe how fast it has all gone by. He's having a record year. 47 ip, 3 hits allowed, 114 K's vs. 25 BB's and a 0.30 era, which will beat out Scott Elarton's school record if he can avoid an earned run in that final game. Below is an edited video of all his pitches in the game. He did give up four unearned runs when our left fielder allowed a single to get past him for a two base error, Dalton walked a kid who stole second and we intentionally walked their 3-hole hitter to load the bases. After striking out the next batter, a kid lays down a hard bunt and F5 ignores the force at home and launches a throw into right field for a three base, three run error. Then Dalton wp that kid home. Luckily, we scored enough and no one reached scoring position for them after that.

Wish I could add to the happy stories, but son's team, ranked 1st in State, stunk it up and lost to a lowly ranked team in the first PO game. Everything that could go wrong, did. We actually hit the ball hard, but everything seemed either to go directly to an OF'er or they made an outstanding running/sliding/diving catch. All of their contact seemed to drop in, but we didn't do ourselves any favors by trying to be too cute with the pitching rotation.

Ugh. Son came home, grabbed a big bunch of ice cream, and went to his room, announcing that he was depressed.

roothog66 posted:

Our season isn't over yet! Double elimination state tourney started Friday. We won the first game, lost, and then won our elimination game to move on to the Final Four Friday and Saturday. My 2018 pitched the first game and struck out a career high 19 in 6.1 ip. The closer came in and struck out 2, so all 21 outs were by strikeout. I can't remember ever seeing that. Dalton did give up 2 hits, both to the same batter. So that guy is 2-for-3 against Dalton and everyone else is 1-for-139. He has one more high school start. Can't believe how fast it has all gone by. He's having a record year. 47 ip, 3 hits allowed, 114 K's vs. 25 BB's and a 0.30 era, which will beat out Scott Elarton's school record if he can avoid an earned run in that final game. Below is an edited video of all his pitches in the game. He did give up four unearned runs when our left fielder allowed a single to get past him for a two base error, Dalton walked a kid who stole second and we intentionally walked their 3-hole hitter to load the bases. After striking out the next batter, a kid lays down a hard bunt and F5 ignores the force at home and launches a throw into right field for a three base, three run error. Then Dalton wp that kid home. Luckily, we scored enough and no one reached scoring position for them after that.

the real question is how did the team he is playing against make the playoffs?

old_school posted:
roothog66 posted:

I completely agree with you.

While you guys are winding up, we in Iowa are just getting started. Six games in, our team is 6-0. Son has pitched two games with 13 innings pitched, 17 strikeouts, 177 pitches between the two games and a 0.0 ERA. AND last night he hit his first home run to score three runs. It's been a good season so far, although all the senior parents were a little sad to see it start. It means we're that much closer to ending. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Don't any of you guys have kids who suck?

Son's team had a narrow victory over a mediocre opponent just to stay alive. Was happy to see that one underused senior pitcher pitched two solid innings in relief. Son said it's great to be in the field with him because he doesn't walk people, pitches fast, and when he keeps it low, allows weak contact. Fielders are all on their toes, waiting to contribute, and they usually do. Wish some of the other pitchers would pay more attention to location, than velo and "stuff".

The other "weak" team that we lost to to start out just beat another strong team, and the #3oa in State is already out after two straight loses to "weak" opponents. Crazy year. 73 mph thumb tossers are killing the big guns. Guys throwing mid 80's and up are getting beat.

Still alive after winning 4 in a row. Doubleheader last night in a beautiful old town ball field. Won 6-0, and 12-8. Our pitcher threw a masterpiece in the first game against a very strong hitting team. Touched 89 a couple of times, but his control, and slider were terrific. Lotta FB's at the knees, then the out pitch around the armpits.

Second game was a slugfest. 3HR's, couple triples, and some doubles. Son didn't have his best night, but was on base all night long, and his speed seemed to get in the fielder's heads. He had two ROE, then one more error around him when he was on the basepaths.

A couple of parents were joking that if any scouts were watching then two of our players might get drafted. The pitcher is 6'4" and is "projectable". Also can really pitch. Pitches in the high 80's, can touch 90...like most northern pitchers, there is probably a lot of life still in the arm. He plays hockey still.

The other kid had two HR, a triple, and at least one double, I think. Also hit a contested foul ball/HR...it was moon shot way over the foul pole that was anybody's guess what it was. I was just glad that it missed my car.

Down side is that the team has to play on Wed against a very good team with their top 3 pitchers unable to go because of pitch count issues, and another one with iffy health. I'm guessing that a position player will be pressed into service, with 57 jr. the odds on favorite to go. Yikes!

Last edited by 57special
old_school posted:
roothog66 posted:

That is a pretty good team. Advanced to the final eight. But, not many teams will look all that good vs. 93mph. Hell, that team had more hits against him in that one game than he gave up all season combined.

Season is finished. We made it to the title game. Our format is an alteration of double elim. Eight teams at state. It works normally until you get to the last four teams. Then they arrange it so that there are no rematches if possible. The team that went 3-0 is automatically in the championship game, but still plays a "semifinal" game. If they win, they play the winner if the other matchup and have to be beaten twice. If they lose, the team that beat them plays the winner of the other game and the winner of that game meets them for a winner-take-all title game.

We matched up against the 3-0 team. Dalton got the start and struggled with an unbelievably tight strike zone. He couldn't get ahead in the count, so he couldn't establish any off speed. They got 3 hits off of him. One shouldn't have been ruled a hit. With a man on first, the kid put down a sac bunt. Dalton slipped and fell on his ass picking it up. The guy from first tried to go to third and he nailed him for the out. The other two hits were triples.

He had to leave the game in the sixth while we were uo 5-2. He had walked the first two batters and then K'd the third. Our closer/#3 starter came in and got what looked to be a 3-6-3 double play, but we didn't get the call at first. He then proceeded to give up three runs and the game was tied.

It stayed 5-5 going into the bottom of the 7th. After two guys flied out to the warning track, our #3 hit one off the top of the wall in right, then our #4 drew a walk. Dalton then lined a 3-1 pitch off the left field wall for the walk off double.

We advanced to play the team that beat us 2-0 in the second round. We started our #2 who had struggled lately. However, he did not struggle on this day, throwing a 79 pitch complete game 2-hitter to win 3-1 and put us in the championship. 

So, we played University again. They had three losses on the season and we had tow of those. However, we were out of pitching and theybhad their ace. It was ugly - very ugly. We started the #2 who had 31 pitches left and he was just too tired and never made it out of the first. After that, it was JV pitching and we got routed 21-2. It was the first time we had been run ruled since 2012. 

Their stud hit for the cycle and added a second HR for good measure. Had 9 rbi. That gave him 52 in 27 games and I imagine gave him the state POY over Dalton because they always seem to give it to someone from the championship team.

High school is over. We immediately drove to Jamestown, NY to begin summer ball.

Dalton's final stats for the year:

52.2 ip

0.80 era

121 K's

31 Bb's

6 hits allowed

.030 batting average against

57special posted:

Don't any of you guys have kids who suck?

Son's team had a narrow victory over a mediocre opponent just to stay alive. Was happy to see that one underused senior pitcher pitched two solid innings in relief. Son said it's great to be in the field with him because he doesn't walk people, pitches fast, and when he keeps it low, allows weak contact. Fielders are all on their toes, waiting to contribute, and they usually do. Wish some of the other pitchers would pay more attention to location, than velo and "stuff".

The other "weak" team that we lost to to start out just beat another strong team, and the #3oa in State is already out after two straight loses to "weak" opponents. Crazy year. 73 mph thumb tossers are killing the big guns. Guys throwing mid 80's and up are getting beat.

I can tell you that my kid hates the soft stuff. 70-75 guys are a challenge for him. But the hard throwers even with movement he crushes. 

Substrate competition in iowa starts July 13, but my 2018 has had a great week. First he threw a no hitter Monday, then was interviewed on local news about how earning a state berth and hopefully title would mean the world to him and his team, then last night he hit the walk-off single that gave us a 4-3 win and earned the coach his 300th career win. Five more regular season games, likely one more pitching start and then post season play. Can’t wait to see what comes next!!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • FE75BE21-5A06-4880-A1CA-BF25F1D90731

So regular season in Iowa came to an end tonight. My son's team ended its varsity regular season 33-3, including one forfeit due to a pitch count violation. Son picked up the school's strike out record, with 113 over 61 innings pitched. He also is tied with four other guys in class 4A for being hit by pitches with 15.

Friday, he will pitch for our first substate game against the same team he faced in his first varsity start four years ago. In that game he won 4-2, giving up two earned runs and striking out six. 

Should be a fun night. I hope!!!!

2022NYC posted:

Congrats mom. Your boy's HS bball season end is so close to start of colleges, when does HS end?

State tournament is the last weekend in July. Then they have an all star series that he's been nominated for the first weekend of August. Fortunately, the Iowa colleges are used to our schedule. The teams we played last night struggle, they are in the very tip top corner of the state with few Iowa baseball teams nearby. Most of the teams they should play are in Nebraska and play spring ball, so these kids have to travel around the state to find HS games, or entice people to drive three hours for a high school DH.

Started substate last night with the #1 seed in our substate region.

My 2018 RHP threw 109 pitches in a complete game 1-0 win (whew!! pitch limit is 110 pitches per game!!). Struck out 12, walked four and threw a few into the backstop. He had one of our team's three hits. Other two came from our current shortstop and son's future teammate at Iowa, and included a solo home run that was the only score of the game. Now we have a bye for the next round and will play again next Wednesday for a chance to go to state.

Son should be able to pitch, if only our bats will get going!!!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_1727

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.