Skip to main content

My son is a 14U pitcher  on a tournament team that plays 8 to 10 tournaments a year and has one practice a week. Otherwise there’s not a lot of throwing in between tournaments. Is there resource out there for a dad like me to try to design a midweek bullpen throwing plan to keep his arm loose and strong?  Maybe a website or something like that? Any direction would be helpful. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Most kids don't throw enough.  You will want to vary midweek workouts based on # pitches thrown the prior weekend but here is a rough guideline:                 Monday : running, conditioning, band work                                                                Tuesday : band work & throw flat ground (work all grips)                                        Wednesday : band work, throw flat ground, 40 pitch bullpen                                Thursday : band work & throw flat ground                                                              Friday - Sunday : tournament play

My concern is my son is not throwing enough to stay healthy/sharp and what I should be doing with him between starts.  Last year my son pitched 44 innings and averaged 15 pitches/inning.    This year he has thrown 9 innings and 110 pitches (12 pitches/inning).  His last tournament he pitched 4 innings (49 pitches) on Saturday , DHed for 1 game, played 1B for a game, and played 3B for a game.  He is pretty efficent.   But next practice isn't until Thursday and he will throw a 5 batter bullpen before pitching again this Saturday. 

My son is 15u.  His high school practices M-F with games on Saturday, as well as during the week some.  He is a starter and they ONLY have him pitch a 25 pitch bullpen about 3 days before he starts.

Now, having said that, he long tosses EVERY DAY.  There is a huge difference in mound throwing and long tossing.  If you want your son to get/stay loose I suggest long toss in proper pitching form.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.