Skip to main content

Do all college teams have exclusive Bat deals?  Meaning that players can only swing that type of bat?  I see several bigtime schools that only swing Easton, or Louisville Slugger, or DeMarini etc.... Or is it just most of them?  Most of the Power Fives?

Are there lots of colleges where you can swing whatever type bat you want?  What about Junior Colleges?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

At the D1 level players get a lot of stuff ... Bats, gloves, cleats, batting gloves, Under Armor (or similar), elbow and ankle shields, sun glasses, etc.. If it’s provided by contract it’s what you use.

A travel teammate of my son didn't like the catcher’s mitt he received in college. He had the logo of the mitt he received sown over the logo on his catcher’s mitt. The coach suspended him.

It’s typically D1’s  who have these big equipment contracts. Its big business. The college and the coach is paid for the team to use the stuff.

A friend/former teammate has been a long time coach at a ranked D3. He's well known. He's been offered D1 jobs. I noticed a couple of weeks ago everyone was swinging the same bat. Another ranked D3 where a friend’s son graduated three years ago they got nothing. That coach is well known and has been there forever.

Last edited by RJM

I doubt all of them are, but most DI teams probably are under some sort of contract. I went to a camp at an OVC school one year and one of their players was telling me how they were each given one particular bat and then got to choose one of two other choices. All made by the same company. I think you'd have to ask each school individually to get an exact answer.

3and2Fastball posted:

....................................................................................

Maybe I didn't ask my question clearly enough:  how many D1's are there where you can swing whatever type bat you want?  Are they all under exclusive deals?

Not many D! teams have a bat choice.   Even a mid-level to low level D1 is required to swing specific bat under contract.  That was the case with my son's former team.   One year it was Nike, next year it was Rawlings, next year DiMarini, etc...  What was funny to me (pitchers Dad) is to listen to the yearly complaints (through my son) about the bats.  It was the same complaints every year no matter the manufacturer.   He got a kick out of it as well.  I'd see other teams with the same bats work just fine.   It was one of those things that made me go....hmmm.  ;-)

You have to remember baseball is not a revenue generating sport at most schools even some in the Power 5.  So, any money thrown their way that can go to the program is gladly accepted.   Very few programs have negotiating power to put sponsors against each other and some times those financial decisions are made by the AD that got piggybacked off of a football or basketball contract.  My son's team and all the teams in his conference are operationally self funded by sponsors, and alumni donations.  So, can bet any money & equipment thrown their way is more than welcome.

As always just my experience and opinion. 

I remember teams dropping the Nike contract when it was proven their bats had less pop. I don’t believe Nike makes bats anymore.

From 2012 ... Of the top 20 team leaders in home runs this past season, none used Nike bats. Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Miami, North Carolina and Southern Cal - all Nike schools - showed signs of substandard offensive performance. Prior to the 2010-11 season, Miami had not missed the postseason this millennium, reaching the College World Series five times. The Hurricanes blasted an average of more than 93 home runs a season from 2008-2010. This past year Miami hit just 33.  

Last edited by RJM

After 12+ years of baseball for my son from 6 years old thru HS, when he got to college and started getting free stuff (gloves, apparel, shoes, bats...especially bats) I could care less if it's Nike, Rawlings, Wilson or Billy Bob's Bat Co....it's not costing him (OR ME) a dime....he'll learn to live with it    

Seriously though....they are a mid-major and do get a lot of stuff....not as much as his buddy's that are at Power 5's, but he's never complained lol.   They are expected to use that brand.  They are Nike for apparels....everything from uniforms to pullovers to practice gear to shoes.  Gloves and bats are  Rawlings....a kid can't use a different brand bat just because he likes it better.  Could an outfielder get away with using a Wilson glove?  Maybe....I'm fairly certain the "glove police" don't check what you grab out of your bag before you run out on the field....but I'm guessing if he's caught it would be frowned upon

Son used Marucci bats thru HS and had used Akadema mitts since he was 12.  The summer before he headed to college (after HS season was over) he picked up a Rawlings mitt and bat to use that summer to kind of get used to their stuff.  He was a PO the first 2 years (he was a SS/P in high school) so getting used to the change in gloves wasn't a big deal. 

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

My understanding is whatever the school sponsor for that product is, you must use it.  My son's D1 school switched sponsors after his freshman year thus following year new bats, spikes, gloves, etc.  Took a few months to get used to new equip but it became a normal thing. Couldn't use previous equipment at all.  As long as the price is right (free) it's all good.  Plus you never know, the new equip may actually be better and help you advance your abilities.  Sometimes it isn't the equipment but the player using it.

3and2Fastball posted:

I found this article, which is dated but interesting.

https://www.al.com/sports/inde...013/06/post_493.html

Anyone know of a place where you can find a listing of which colleges have exclusive deals with which companies? 

Not sure you can find it with baseball?  (and if you do, please post!) Here is a recent link for basketball:

https://herosports.com/college...ke-under-armour-a7a7

I guess you could go to a recent photo of a team/player and enlarge to see logos?

Last edited by keewart
keewart posted:

I guess you could go to a recent photo of a team/player and enlarge to see logos?

Never thought of that, but that's a great idea.  If you go to the team's Twitter page you'll know you're looking at current pics.  Copy/Save the picture and then use your photo editor to zoom in.  I would guess you'll be able to see the bat and uniform logos without much trouble and the A2000 on the side of a glove it pretty noticable.  If a team has Rawlings bats, they'll be using Rawlings gloves.....same with most of the other brands.

I have noticed, though, that with bats, you will see some guys continue to use older models even though they have probably been given newer ones. Watch Easton teams and pay attention to the number of guys that still swing 2014 S-series and 2014 XL's even thought they are beat to death. Almost the entire Arkansas lineup is still swinging S-1's and S-2's.

3and2Fastball posted:

Another idea I thought of is emailing the various bat companies and asking which colleges they have exclusive deals with.  Most companies have a rep who is more than happy to hype up their endorsement deals.

Os there any reason why this is so important?

Just wondering.

So I sit close to where sons team keeps their bats so I am definetly checking this out thursday night!

TPM - mostly just curious.  I find the topic somewhat fascinating.  I could really only think of 4 major bat companies (Marucci, DeMarini, Easton & Louisville Slugger) and I was wondering if every single D1 is covered by one of those 4 companies.  Axe Bat as far as I know only has deals with a few dozen D2's and D3's. 

I used to work for a fairly big Travel Baseball Academy which had lots of endorsement deals in place.  I find the topic interesting.  It is really big business.

keewart posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Anyone know of a place where you can find a listing of which colleges have exclusive deals with which companies? 

Not sure you can find it with baseball?  (and if you do, please post!) Here is a recent link for basketball:

Chances are the baseball team uses the same brand as the basketball or football team if the vendor makes the same baseball products. I believe UCLA signed an enormous, mega million contract with one vendor that covers the entire athletic department. If that vendor provides the product a UCLA team wears it. 

Found it ...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/...0525-snap-story.html

Last edited by RJM
3and2Fastball posted:

might want to check a team's twitter or instagram account near the beginning of the season, they tend to like to

show off....ARKCLEATESNUGloves

Attachments

Images (2)
  • NUGloves
  • ARKCLEATES
Last edited by KilroyJ
RJM posted:
keewart posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Chances are the baseball team uses the same brand as the basketball or football team if the vendor makes the same baseball products. I believe UCLA signed an enormous, mega million contract with one vendor that covers the entire athletic department. If that vendor provides the product a UCLA team wears it. 

Found it ...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/...0525-snap-story.html

All depends on the contract. There are some things that companies may make, but they are not the same quality of others and so exceptions are made. For example, Nike knew (at one time at least) that their volleyball shoes weren’t very good. So many schools who wore Nike uniforms wore Mixuno shoes for volleyball. For awhile, many Under Armour schools wore Nike shoes for various sports because the UA shoes were junk.

its always fascinating to see how some of this stuff plays out. You’re starting to see a little more of it seep into the high school setting as well. I know that our school has had discussions about an apparel contract for a couple of years. We’ve remained “independent” so far although many of our teams do wear Nike exclusively. Soccer being the outlier preferring adidas. But it certainly comes with perks and with consequences. 

After reading that article as I suspected I think the exclusive term refers to wearing apparel and that would be across the board with all sports in a program,with exception and not equipment included.

I think that New Era is usually the preferred cap company for most teams.

I am going to throw this out there, but I think that equipment companies are coaches choice, and many get a bonus for choosing that company. This is how many supplement their salary.

TPM posted:

After reading that article as I suspected I think the exclusive term refers to wearing apparel and that would be across the board with all sports in a program,with exception and not equipment included.

I think that New Era is usually the preferred cap company for most teams.

I am going to throw this out there, but I think that equipment companies are coaches choice, and many get a bonus for choosing that company. This is how many supplement their salary.

In basketball a sneaker contract can be a six figure supplement for the coach. 

Axe Bat Colleges:

Ashland University (D2)
Becker College (D3)
Birmingham Southern (D3)
Cal Lutheran (D3)
Lewis-Clark State (D3)
Indiana Wesleyan (NAIA)
Marietta College (D3)
Salem International (D2)
Salve Regina (D3)
Southwestern College
Tarleton State