Skip to main content

Tenn Tech has been fun to watch. I have been impressed with them they have some arms too. Duke is so gritty. Just when you think they might be done they battle back and get it done. They are talented and well coached. So Carolina shocked me I didn't think they would force a 3rd game. Auburn has taken Florida to a 3rd game and even though I think UF is superior anything can happen in a one game scenario. Today is a college baseball fans dream day. It should be a lot of fun to watch. By the way imagine being a Vols fan and watching little ole Tenn Tech be one game from Omaha and your SEC program can't sniff the post season? 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

CTbballDad posted:
TPM posted:

My heart breaks for Tennessee.

My heart breaks for the RF for Auburn...ugh....

Kid is from our hometown.  He is a great kid from a good family.  I know he was upset, but he will go on to accomplish great things.  He has already played for Team USA.  Will certainly play professional baseball as long as he stays healthy.

younggun posted:
CTbballDad posted:
TPM posted:

My heart breaks for Tennessee.

My heart breaks for the RF for Auburn...ugh....

Kid is from our hometown.  He is a great kid from a good family.  I know he was upset, but he will go on to accomplish great things.  He has already played for Team USA.  Will certainly play professional baseball as long as he stays healthy.

It's so incredibly hard to get to Omaha, I know that you, younggun, understand that. As far as I am aware, the third game in a regional is a coin toss for home field advantage.

Auburn had a much better defense, IMO. The bullpens for both teams awesome. But once you put Byrne in, it's tough. But he isn't a distance guy so we figured Auburn could win if the game was tied up long enough.

Looked like the RF would more than likely not have caught it, it just grazed the tip of his glove. Heartbreaking, but today he will be over it, and it more than likely will make him a better RF guy.

It's the pitcher who should feel badly. He made the mistake.

JMO

TPM you are correct. Making it to Omaha is SO difficult. You have to be good, but you also most often need some breaks to go your way. Maybe not so much luck because you generally put yourself in the position to get lucky. Last night is a perfect case in point. Had Langworthy not smoked that ball, the lucky (or unlucky if you are an Auburn fan) bounce would never have happened. And yes, the pitcher left that ball up with 2 strikes, but the batter still had to put a good swing on it, and he did. Auburn made a couple of incredible plays on defense to even stay in that game. On the other hand, UF left a LOT of base runners stranded throughout that series that could have cost them. Wins so often come down to who executed the best in clutch situations.

I still think pitching and defense will win. I will say that we played 5 of the 8 teams this year. I’m not saying they will win it (and I hope they don’t), but Oregon State has the best team. I am a homer and am pulling for the SEC. One of Nick’s best friends, and summer teammates / battery mate with the East Cobb Astros, is Cody Roberts from UNC. He also has a high school teammate on Miss State. But Oregon State’s lineup can flat RAKE!!  1,2,3 and 5 were all drafted and 4 will most likely be a first round guy next year. They have the best approach at the plate of anyone we saw all year. But I also can attest that Arkansas lineup is the scariest one. Any one of the 9 can leave the yard at any time. Not even TD Ameritrade is gonna contain them. It should be interesting. I can’t wait to watch. 

younggun,

I agree with you about Florida, they are not playing their best baseball. I also agree that pitching and defense wins.  But they have a load of special talent and coached well to win in clutch situations.

Since you have seen so many of these teams, I believe OSU has the best team. 

My allegiance goes to the ACC team. UNC has very quietly taken care of business very quickly. 

Definitely going to be a great week of awesome baseball!

Last edited by TPM

I’ll give you another pretty cool statistic. The high school Nick attended, Lee County HS in Leesburg, GA has produced 6 players since 2004 that have played in Omaha, including Buster Posey. Not bad for a small farming community that has less than 30,000 people in the entire county. That also doesn’t include alums Luke Bryan or Phillip Phillips. We are pretty proud of the talent that has come out of this small southwest Georgia town. Sorry I’ll stop bragging now. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.