Skip to main content

First, I don't want this to come off the wrong way. I think perfect game is very valuable. I just noticed something when reviewing a few older players profiles.

Errol Robinson for example, Ole Miss SS got a 9.5 grade. He had a sub 7 60, but not a crazy infield or exit velocity (Low 80's), and not a very "strong build". It did mention that he already gave verbal to Ole Miss.

Another player with similar numbers only got an 8, and didn't have a college commitment. Was it because of a lack of college offer yet that one received a lower grade then other. Or maybe an in game situation that made Errol get graded higher? Since the 2 were not that different in numbers

Thanks

Last edited by 00
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

00 posted:

First, I don't want this to come off the wrong way. I just noticed something when reviewing a few older players profiles.

Errol Robinson for example, Ole Miss SS got a 9.5 grade. He had a sub 7 60, but not a crazy infield or exit velocity (Low 80's), and not a very "strong build". It did mention that he already gave verbal to Ole Miss.

Another player with similar numbers only got an 8, and didn't have a college commitment. Was it because of a lack of college offer yet that one received a lower grade then other. Or maybe an in game situation that made Errol get graded higher? Since the 2 were not that different in numbers

Thanks

PG grades are based upon projection.  Considering he was drafted high, actually shows you how it works.

Was the other player you compared him to drafted?

There's no doubt the college commitment will play into PG rankings.  Especially if it is from a high level program.  Kids who already have commitments as sophomores and juniors are "projectable" and it is no real risk for PG to rate them higher than other kids who do not.  But as 3AND2 noted, other factors come into play during any particular event and that can impact the ratings as well.  There are no doubt lots of late bloomers who do not return to a PG event and are much better than their grade shows.

As most have noted before, the PG grades are not that big of a deal.  The service is most useful for providing independent metrics on a players core skills.  Those can give a college coach a starting point, but then a kid needs to perform in front of them to move the needle to interest.

PG grades are just 1 tool used to determine whether an offer from a school or draft is made.  Scouts would add this to the portfolio of a prospect, look at the overall package and make an offer if all the numbers added up.  Keep in mind there are other factors other than baseball skills that come into play.  An example close to home is my son, had a PG grade of 8.  Several of his acquaintances/competitors had better PG grades, numbers, body type, athleticism, etc.  PG and other entities gave them higher rankings, and most likely as a result opened the door for more interest from colleges/pro.  I followed a few of them over the years, some of course made it to the pros, but several (for whatever reasons) either didn't last in college/pro or are having/had uneventful stats results .  Son is fortunate to have excelled beyond my expectations so far thus, for an "average" kid with a PG grade of 8, you can never tell.  PG does a great job doing what they do best, but there is a process in place and several pieces used to determine success (much like everyday life for all of us).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.