Skip to main content

Hello All,

In reading many posts and the solid responses/advice given, is that most college coaches will not make an offer until they have to. I have found, among kids I know are being followed by colleges, that this is very true The most obvious situation is when a coach that has shown interest becomes aware of another school making an offer. But are there other situations that could lead to an offer by a coach that has been following a player??  

1. If an interested college coach observes other college scouts watching a player, would that lead them to move forward with an offer?

2. Would an invite to a prestigious event (PG National or Area Code Tryouts) possibly jump start an offer? 

3. Something else?

Just seeing if these or other situations arose with those on HSBBW that have been through the recruiting journey with their sons. Thanks as always.

WCP   

Last edited by WestCoastPapa
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

One of my baseball teammates said it was the first d1 offer he got that made him get more. It wasn't a school that he wanted to go to,  BUT it was in the same conference as a school he loved. When the coach of school he loved heard about it, he offered the next day. I imagine the coach thought, "I don't want to be facing this kid for 4 years, when he could be on my team".

Said player has started since day 1 of freshman year. 

What would pull the trigger for an offer? 

What does your son have that sets him apart from the hundreds of other players a coach has seen? Could be a lot of differently things. How the pitcher prepares in the bullpen.  How that players teammates act toward him. How patient is the hitter at the plate. Is he a lefty? Does he run fast?  Just an example, of what I think might make the coach make an offer.

It's not all about the things that are noticeable. You can tell how interested a coach is by how many times he shows up to watch.

Definitely coaches dont want their guys facing someone they feel will be an impact player.

JMO

Son had a good day at a PG tournament event.   Then at  Ft. Myers in the fall he had a lot of recruiters probably 30 schools watching him.  The next 3 weeks phone calls from mainly SEC and a couple ACC.  We narrowed down the list to 3 and went on some visits.   They all offered on the visits.  He picked what he thought was best for him.  

The other three sons were a bit different , the two oldest went Juco first  then D1 mid-major.   Actually 2013 just finished last year at Tennessee Tech an up and coming program.  And the third was an academic guy, so did an ED.

Being recruited from a Juco is much different than being recruited from high school

First of all you have to understand how much talent is out there.

Maybe a kid runs a 6.7 sixty but there are lots of kids who run that fast who also might be better power hitters.  Etc

Out of all the talent, across the hundreds of D1 schools, the cards start to fall in place.  

Some of it depends on factors you have no control of, maybe even most of it has to do with factors you have no control of.  Roster needs at individual schools really vary.   What you can control is your work ethic away from events, and your attitude, focus & hustle at events you are seen at.

"Deciding factors" could be hundreds of different possibilities.  At the travel program I coached at, the owner of the program was instrumental in getting players seen and placed.  Even with those connections, the kid still had to perform when they were scouted and their measureables needed to be in the range of criteria of what the school wanted.

if I could break it down in the simplest terms:  1) Verifiable measureables.  2) Performance at scouted events. 3) Somebody credible vouching for you who is a non family member...  And when there is an opening on a roster AND you can get through Admissions AND you are next in line on their board, an offer will come.

Last edited by 3and2Fastball

My two cents....

For the majority of recruits....the obvious answer is that he has to have talent and be a fit at the most basic level.    So, that reduces the overall field somewhat.  Then the recruit has to further separate himself from the field with something extra (tools, grades, attitude, projectability, draftability, family tree, intangibles) that appeals to the coach/program/admission's dept....that even further reduces the field of recruits.   Then I think the recruit has to show a GENUINE interest in the school, and then sell himself in a big way.  Communications and relationship are essential at this last stage.  Coaches have a way of divining whether that interest is genuine or not.  

Then you have to hope and pray for an offer.

Last edited by fenwaysouth
fenwaysouth posted:

My two cents....

For the majority of recruits....the obvious answer is that he has to have talent and be a fit at the most basic level.    So, that reduces the overall field somewhat.  Then the recruit has to further separate himself from the field with something extra (tools, grades, attitude, projectability, draftability, family tree, intangibles) that appeals to the coach/program/admission's dept....that even further reduces the field of recruits.   Then I think the recruit has to show a GENUINE interest in the school, and then sell himself in a big way.  Communications and relationship are essential at this last stage.  Coaches have a way of divining whether that interest is genuine or not.  

Then you have to hope and pray for an offer.

I think the bolded is an underestimated factor.

What's interesting to me is that we all here who have responded have players with different level skills and ability. Its easier for some than others .

So I feel that it's VERY important that one gets into a situation where they are playing in front of, or have contacted the right program. No one is going to offer anything if they don't feel that the player is right for their program.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.