Skip to main content

He's talked to the coach a couple of times and was given three options. 1. Go home. 2. Coach calls and voices his displeasure (ripp them is the word he used). 3. Get released and find another team. 

We are going to try option 3. The kid went as a two way. Just so happened they had 4 pitchers go down so the first year they asked him to PO. He reluctantly agreed. Before the start of official practice the PC decided to change his delivery. That did not go well. By the time they gave up on the PO thing the season was basically over. So if he were to come home he'd get to campus this fall and compete for a spot not having played "live" baseball for over a year. I also get the feeling there was an agreement as to playing time the team did not keep. Because the coach is being a lot more supportive than I thought he would be. I guess agreeing to the PO thing probably helped. He and the coach talked about it after the season and he agreed the kid got the shaft on that one. 

I can't say I'm optimistic though. I can't believe find a spot will be easy. On the other hand the kid can add am arm to the pitching staff. We'll see, disappointing to say the least. This was daddy ball stuff. 

SomeBaseballDad posted:

He's talked to the coach a couple of times and was given three options. 1. Go home. 2. Coach calls and voices his displeasure (ripp them is the word he used). 3. Get released and find another team. 

We are going to try option 3. The kid went as a two way. Just so happened they had 4 pitchers go down so the first year they asked him to PO. He reluctantly agreed. Before the start of official practice the PC decided to change his delivery. That did not go well. By the time they gave up on the PO thing the season was basically over. So if he were to come home he'd get to campus this fall and compete for a spot not having played "live" baseball for over a year. I also get the feeling there was an agreement as to playing time the team did not keep. Because the coach is being a lot more supportive than I thought he would be. I guess agreeing to the PO thing probably helped. He and the coach talked about it after the season and he agreed the kid got the shaft on that one. 

I can't say I'm optimistic though. I can't believe find a spot will be easy. On the other hand the kid can add am arm to the pitching staff. We'll see, disappointing to say the least. This was daddy ball stuff. 

First, it's not "we".  It's "he". 

Second, there are 4/5 weeks left of the season. At any given moment, in any sport, in every program, some player is asked to step up. It always happens. Take BA with the team, work in the gym to get in the best shape he can to be prepared for the fall.

Instead of trying to go somewhere else where roles have been established, work on being prepared. What many parents fail to realize is everyone at one point has to learn this is how the real world works. Life isnt always fair.  

And yes, sounds like sour grapes. Only a few folks know this but when son was with one ML organization, he sat for games at a time, with better stats. It was tough. Came playoffs, he was asked to step up. He did.

Never once came here with sour grapes.

JMO

I appreciate your input 

Do you understand what projecting is? 

If you had any idea how big of a critic I've been of my son. The words that have been exchanged between us. What he went through trying to continue to play baseball after a serious injury and the time he put in coming back from that you might somewhat understand what a misguided assholish post you just made. JMO

For context here's a text I received from him not long ago  

"you’re such an asshole that whenever you say dumb shit like that it motivates even more to prove you wrong all the time so honestly thank you for being an idiot" .

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad
TPM posted:

Many of our sons have been through a lot more than you might imagine.

This assholish posting mom doesnt give a rats, you know what, how big of a critic you have been of your son. 

Really? When you went in to your son's room to tell him to get ready did he tell you "just a minute"? So that you did not see that he rolled out of bed and crawled across the floor and crawled up the wall to get dressed? Because he knew if you saw that you wouldn't have let him play.

Like I said, do you know what projecting is? Don't judge me by what you or others you know would have done. Your post says more about you than I. 

This is getting pretty personal.  I'd ask both of you to step back and rethink your posts.  Injuries are tough for both players and parents.  I think many of us have been there.  My daughter played the last 17 games of her college career on a leg/knee that was injured.  Knowing that both of you have had the stress of dealing with a hurt child should enable both of you to empathize with each other.  I hope both of you will rethink your approach to this thread.  

CoachB25 posted:

This is getting pretty personal.  I'd ask both of you to step back and rethink your posts.  Injuries are tough for both players and parents.  I think many of us have been there.  My daughter played the last 17 games of her college career on a leg/knee that was injured.  Knowing that both of you have had the stress of dealing with a hurt child should enable both of you to empathize with each other.  I hope both of you will rethink your approach to this thread.  

Thanks Coach B but somehow this topic about not getting enough time in the game this summer, turned into being injured and some father/son stuff that has nothing to do with me, got nasty.

Last edited by TPM

Several of our players are starting to drop. Lost three players in the last week due to homesick and injuries. This is the hardest part of the summer. Its starting to get hot outside and if players aren't playing or don't have good numbers they panic. Control what you can control. Take every AB seriously. I always tell me guys "be selfish in the box" the game can get out of hand at times but your statistics don't care. 

Patrick Jones posted:

Several of our players are starting to drop. Lost three players in the last week due to homesick and injuries. This is the hardest part of the summer. Its starting to get hot outside and if players aren't playing or don't have good numbers they panic. 

I could only hope. We won a game 27-6 and some of the kids had 1-2 AB's and some had 5,6,7. Let see, get some kids some playing time or allow the local kids to pad their numbers..... decisions, decisions.

Now about my earlier post. Shouldn't have mentioned the kids injury. Was pointless and knee jerk. That said this thread was started looking for advice/experience not opinions as to my state of mind. I see all kinds of posts here that I my have an opinion as to subject matter or the OP. I tend to keep them to myself. 

Sour grapes? I guess, whatever. I was glad when the kid wasn't sent to a more competitive league. He doesn't need that, he needs reps. It was encouraging to receive a email from the GM stating how our players development was their number one priority and how seriously they took it. That was BS. 

SomeBaseballDad posted:
Patrick Jones posted:

Several of our players are starting to drop. Lost three players in the last week due to homesick and injuries. This is the hardest part of the summer. Its starting to get hot outside and if players aren't playing or don't have good numbers they panic. 

I could only hope. We won a game 27-6 and some of the kids had 1-2 AB's and some had 5,6,7. Let see, get some kids some playing time or allow the local kids to pad their numbers..... decisions, decisions.

Now about my earlier post. Shouldn't have mentioned the kids injury. Was pointless and knee jerk. That said this thread was started looking for advice/experience not opinions as to my state of mind. I see all kinds of posts here that I my have an opinion as to subject matter or the OP. I tend to keep them to myself. 

Sour grapes? I guess, whatever. I was glad when the kid wasn't sent to a more competitive league. He doesn't need that, he needs reps. It was encouraging to receive a email from the GM stating how our players development was their number one priority and how seriously they took it. That was BS. 

Big mistake in perspective in my view.

Summer league baseball is about the team, competing and having success.  It is not about meeting any individual expectations of any player and especially a parent!

There is at least as much responsibility on the player as there is on the team when it comes to development, especially knowing those folks have been working so many days, weeks and months for players to show up and give 100% for about 60 days.

Thinking Summer teams are there to serve any individual need is not only a huge mistake, it borders on insulting to those who created an opportunity!!!

Last edited by infielddad
infielddad posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:
Patrick Jones posted:

Big mistake in perspective in my view.

Summer league baseball is about the team, competing and having success.  It is not about meeting any individual expectations of any player and especially a parent!

There is at least as much responsibility on the player as there is on the team when it comes to development, especially knowing those folks have been working so many days, weeks and months for players to show up and give 100% for about 60 days.

Thinking Summer teams are there to serve any individual need is not only a huge mistake, it borders on insulting to those who created an opportunity!!!

If winning is the main goal then maybe the email should have read "Your players development is important to us but we need to field a winning team blah, blah, blah. If that's the case it would seem you would coach accordingly.  Most teams, after a certain amount of losses, will try different lineups in hopes of finding a better combination. Not playing the same people loss after loss to last place in the league. Nor would they do things like down by 2 with 2 out and 2 on bottom 9th pull a kid hitting .400 from the on deck circle and replace him with one hitting .160. Is that how they play winning baseball where you come from? 

Back to the email. It could have read "your kids development is important to us. However  in an effort to increase revenue and keep the doors open we will give the majority of playing time to local talent in an effort to bring fans to the park".  I could understand that  I may not like it but I would have appreciated the honesty. Like I said, if this were 8U TB or LL it wouldn't have come as a surprise. Now I know so if it happens again it's on us. 

That teams stats show no one hitting over .350 so your reference to the .400 hitter being pulled is lacking!

Your post come across as though you feel your son was promised something and is owed something by the Summer league team.  What is he owed other than a spot on the roster. Seemingly, for your son to "given" "development," some other player(s) innings would need to be reduced. 

That team has 5 outfielders. One is clearly performing at a different level than the other 4.

From their stats page, it appears 3 outfielders are hitting below the Mendoza line but with nearly equal opportunities in games, innings and AB's.  Total AB's for the 3 are 38, 38 and 37.  There is nothing meaningfully different between the 3 from the stats page.  Why should one be "given" some preference, as your continuing posting suggests should happen. Just because he is your son is not a reason to be posting negatives about the team and GM.  Your son cannot be "given" anything unless playing time is taken away for other teammates.  From the stats page, it appears every outfielder is being given an opportunity to perform and separate himself. At the midpoint in the season, only one did that.

If you were to have really read through this thread you would know I said one of the outfielders was really good and deserved his playing time. When the AB occurred earlier in the year there were two players hitting over 400. My son being one of them but not the one that was pulled.

Yes my kids average has tanked. He did however start the season tearing it up. Regardless of that playing time was rewarded to a local kid who has never put up good numbers  The other two outfielders never got going but they never really had a chance. It's kind of hard to get into any rhythm at the plate when you get two at bats every 3 or 4 days because 3 people are sharing time at one position.

I'm not sure why you are having such a hard time with this. This team is taking care of a local kid and screwing three others out of playing time. It is what it is Sherlock Holmes.

That all said it's time for this thread to die  Cabbage and others who offered some good advice, thank you  The kids coach called and was promised playing time would increase. So he has asked the kid to stick with it and be a good teammate.  

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad

Bottom line is it doesn't matter who the coaches play because it's out of your control. It's really none of your business. Playing time is something that needs to be addressed between the player and the coach .

Your son has a decision to make . If he wants to get tuned up and ready to return to his school and compete for a spot in the fall,  which is only 8-10 weeks from now , he may want to inquire about a summer ball league close to home . Some place where he'll get playing time . It doesn't matter how tough the league is. He needs Reps . IMO a kid is better off playing in a men's Sunday league and a low level summer program and or training with a hitting coach, A strength and conditioning coach or even track coach at a local University than he is sitting in a summer league.

Summer time for College players is about adding, getting better. Period. There are a multitude of ways to accomplish that . Summer ball is just one of them . The main thing is that he returns to school better and or bigger , stronger , faster than when he left .

Last edited by StrainedOblique

The kid has came home for all star break and I got a chance to talk to him face to face. He said one of the other outfielders confronted the coach about playing time and was told he had promised the coaches of the two kids they would receive the majority of the playing time. So some of you that offered advice were right. I guess welcome to the big leagues and so on. And I guess the kids coaches didn't take care of their own.

That said it really doesn't sit well with me. I was a manager for 30+ years and no matter what else anyone might say about me they always knew where they stood. I never mislead anyone about their standing on the crew or with me. To send an email stating how important my sons development was to them and how seriously they took the responsibility, all the time knowing they were going to screw the kid.... I guess I would have made a poor baseball coach.

Ten months ago I'm sitting at my kids HS game talking to a scout that's watched him closely the last four years and telling him the kid wouldn't accept low round slot money. That the wife and I thought college was the best path for him. And now here I sit watching the kid sit the bench because some mook azz coach made promises to some other coaches that at the end of the day could care less it the guy lived or died. Between the kid being forced into a PO because of injuries at college and now this mess the wife and I have done a lot of soul searching.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.