Skip to main content

I have a junior right handed submarine pitcher on my team that I think has a bright future at a D1 school of some type. He throws from a submarine slot about 79-81 with a very good slider/changeup combo and control that is about the same as most of our guys from a regular arm slotI believe his gpa is in the 92-94 range, and he is one of the best kids and hardest workers on our team. I believe his ERA is around 1.00 this spring and he went undefeated on our Varsity team in a very competitive large school division in PA. He has recently began to gain some attention and due to the unusual motion, has gotten interest from all over (D1, D2, and D3). I believe he is a D1 pitcher at least at some level, but can anyone give me some indication on where he should focus his attention. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, just based on the info provided, his challenge will be his current velo combined with his grade year.  Most D1's are looking for more velo, even from down below, and recruit mostly sophs and juniors.  So, by the time he can get his velo up a few notches (assuming he will), he is likely to be headed toward his senior year and that is late for targeting D1. 

That said, you said he is getting attention at that level and that is the primary indicator.

The most important thing is that he is working a plan that takes everything into consideration in regards to targeting schools... academics, geography, social fit, baseball fit, financial fit, etc.  There is plenty of info here if you or he needs. 

baseball.123 posted:

I have a junior right handed submarine pitcher on my team that I think has a bright future at a D1 school of some type. He throws from a submarine slot about 79-81 with a very good slider/changeup combo and control that is about the same as most of our guys from a regular arm slotI believe his gpa is in the 92-94 range, and he is one of the best kids and hardest workers on our team. I believe his ERA is around 1.00 this spring and he went undefeated on our Varsity team in a very competitive large school division in PA. He has recently began to gain some attention and due to the unusual motion, has gotten interest from all over (D1, D2, and D3). I believe he is a D1 pitcher at least at some level, but can anyone give me some indication on where he should focus his attention. 

FAU had 2 submarine pitchers this year. Their average velocity was just a bit above your players and one a junior, who did hit 87, 88 a few times , one a senior but their best stuff was below 85 one a senior. 

There is a place for submarine pitchers especially at the mid D1 level, some coaches like to bring them in for relief for a different look.  

Both pitchers had spectacular seasons.

TPM posted:

FAU had 2 submarine pitchers this year. Their average velocity was just a bit above your players and one a junior, who did hit 87, 88 a few times , one a senior but their best stuff was below 85 one a senior. 

There is a place for submarine pitchers especially at the mid D1 level, some coaches like to bring them in for relief for a different look.  

The junior just got named an All-American as a closer.

I will disagree with the suggestion that he needs more velo.  That is excellent velo for a submariner.

The big issue is always command.  If he has command, velo is practically irrelevant for this type of guy.

My experience is that some coaches think this is a gimmick, while others pine to have one on their rosters at all times if only they could find one.  The latter category will make him a hot commodity.  I would suggest he just needs to hit the summer exposure circuit -- ASAP.

If he's anywhere near VA, I can help with that. 

baseball.123 posted:
TPM posted:

The junior just got named an All-American as a closer.

baseball.123,

Zach wasn't highly recruited out of HS, though he played for a great  private school program. He attended a very good Juco, was a starter that was highly sought after by many D1 programs.  Drew Peden actually had a better record than Zach, 9-1. 

Peden got an opportunity to play in the Frontier League. He was thrilled. As Midlo added,  both embraced their roles, and we're willing to go beyond what was expected of them.

Coaches love these type of players. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.