Skip to main content

Once you decide to go the HA  route, you eliminate 95% of the competition. I know of two kids who committed to Ivies who topped out at 88 and 87 ...both good pitchers. Another Service Academy guy who tops out at 88, sits at 82-5. Nice curve.

Another mid major guy(not HA) who regularly throws his 4 seam at 88, and has been recorded by a legit site at 91. 6'4", great pitcher coming into his own with 4 legit pitches. don't see how a P5 isn't sniffing around him.

All these guys know how to pitch and have very good control. I find the lack of attention paid to control/pitching IQ odd. You can do so much with it...

57special posted:

Once you decide to go the HA  route, you eliminate 95% of the competition. I know of two kids who committed to Ivies who topped out at 88 and 87 ...both good pitchers. Another Service Academy guy who tops out at 88, sits at 82-5. Nice curve.

Another mid major guy(not HA) who regularly throws his 4 seam at 88, and has been recorded by a legit site at 91. 6'4", great pitcher coming into his own with 4 legit pitches. don't see how a P5 isn't sniffing around him.

All these guys know how to pitch and have very good control. I find the lack of attention paid to control/pitching IQ odd. You can do so much with it...

Yup, but the problem is, you eliminate 95% of the options, too -- if you're aiming for HA, that means no JC route, virtually all D2s aren't an option, and 85-90% of D1s aren't either. So aiming for HA is a blessing and a curse.

57special posted:

You cannot teach a basketball player to be 6'10.... you can teach him the game and how to hone his skills.  you cannot teach a pitcher to throw 95..... 86 to 90 can be developed  but past 92 consistently  the arm is usually much quicker, the fast twitch is better.... the higher you go the more controled velo you will need to keep playing.   there's always one or two exceptions. 

Chico Escuela posted:

I appreciate the info about some types of travel teams I didn’t know existed. For the kid who wants to do it, sounds like a great experience. Mentioned it to my son, and he said “no way.”

Don't take this the wrong way but that also helps you as a dad point him in the right directions.  I had concerns because when mine was offered, we were 13 hours away and could not afford to fly back and forth every weekend.  After making the first summer with Royals, I knew he would be fine.  We have since moved 3 hours away from University of Tennessee so much better but still far enough away.  I think these experiences help us know what direction to point our sons when it comes to distance from home and having friends on the team.  I have this conversation with parents all the time.  I believe it is more of a concern than most of us would think when you look at the numbers that don't make it after one year.  I believe being away from home and in a competitive environment is greater than we think.  I know of several players who were drafted that did not make it a year because of homesick.  it is a great concern of recruiters in college and even pro teams pre-draft.  We have a friend who made it to the bigs and got homesick when he had his children and walked away.  My son asked him if he regretted it and he said yes and no. 

2019Dad posted:
57special posted:

Yup, but the problem is, you eliminate 95% of the options, too -- if you're aiming for HA, that means no JC route, virtually all D2s aren't an option, and 85-90% of D1s aren't either. So aiming for HA is a blessing and a curse.

You're right! I guess I see things through the lens of my HA 2018. I find that the HA teams, in general, tend to be less of a rat race than the overall recruiting game. I know many kids going to non HA JC's, D2's, and D1's. It's hard work, with a lot of turnover. Getting an education is hard at those places.

As for other topics...I get tired of watching "raw players" get innings. Ya, they're 6'6", or can run a 6.6, or throw 92 (once, somewhere). Watching the endless SO's with no pitch recogntion, lack of defensive acumen, or ability to walk less than 3 players per inning gets REALLY tiresome.

Last edited by 57special

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.