Skip to main content

I recently stepped down from my HC position.  I loved it, love the game, love the kids.  But I love my family more and I owe them a heck of a lot of hours and gratitude for allowing me to pull double duty for the last ten years plus.  Time to do more of the things we have wanted to do or meant to do before we are physically unable.  

I'm not sure to what extent that will effect my involvement here at HSBBW.  I will undoubtedly become less directly in tune with the HS baseball world, so will probably have less to contribute.  Although, with son coaching and recruiting at the college level, will still be in the loop in other ways.

If my participation diminishes (no promises to my adversaries), it is not for lack of appreciation for this site and friends made here.  I have already begun the process with a few trips, visiting my kids and grandkids more, sharpening my debating/negotiating skills with my wife and figuring out the right end of the golf club to grip.  Pacific Northwest and daughter last month, Hawaii in September.

Aloha ! 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Pete:

Chapter 2- you can coach with your son in the Valley League, on your Hawaii trip visit the UH and HPU College coaches. Interview the players and the coaches as to their preparation for playing on the next level. Would they do the same again, if they had a second chance.

You can write a summary for the HS Web site and a book. Maybe we can find a coaching position on our American teams.

Bob

<www.goodwillseries.org>

Last edited by Consultant

Hey Pete,

Sounds like a good plan! Not sure if you can stay away from HSBBWEB. Besides, this site needs fair minded ex-coaches like you.

I give it a year or so before Shar is kicking your butt out the door to go find some baseball diamond with action.  

Good luck and we look forward to seeing you guys for the 3rd Annual Wine Extravaganza next month. 

Picked Off posted:

Hey Pete,

Sounds like a good plan! Not sure if you can stay away from HSBBWEB. Besides, this site needs fair minded ex-coaches like you.

I give it a year or so before Shar is kicking your butt out the door to go find some baseball diamond with action.  

Good luck and we look forward to seeing you guys for the 3rd Annual Wine Extravaganza next month. 

Wait. There's wine somewhere???

Excited for you CabbageDad, and looking forward to your new perspective, cause I'm sure you'll have one.

Don't be surprised if you follow the same path I did Cabbage. It sure wouldn't surprise me. I did it for several years then walked away for 10 years. Took some time to see what it was like and do some things Coaching wouldn't allow me the time to do. This past season was my first back and all I can say is I really enjoyed it. I can also say I learned to take my hands off some things and allow my younger coaches to grow. I learned to spend more time talking and mentoring and less time yelling and challenging. I think I am a much better Coach because I walked away. 

I don't know you other than what I have read here. But from what I have read your players have been very fortunate to have you. I wish you the best and enjoy your time off. And if you decide to pick it back up it wouldn't surprise me one bit and some players will be lucky if you make that decision down the road. Like TPM said everyone needs some time off. 

Thanks for the kind remarks, all.  

PWE, thanks for the golf club tips... now I've got that part down but keeping the club facing the target seems to be an issue... heck, seeing the target is becoming an issue.

Bob, yeah, coaching with son would be fun, I think.  I dunno, he's starting to get too bossy .  And yeah, part of the problem is that when I do take trips, I am always thinking about those kinds of baseball side trips you describe. 

PO - very likely I'll drive her crazy well before a year and really looking forward to next month.  And yes, Iowamom, there is definitely wine!  You should come out this way some time and we'll show you around.

Coach May, great advice and insight as always!  I hope I stay healthy enough that that is still an option in ten years.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.