Skip to main content

I was having shoulder problems for a couple of games and decided to go get it checked out, and they said I had a SLAP tear. I was just seeing if anyone here had any ideas to reduce pain. I am done with baseball, so that won't be a problem anymore, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son (who is still playing) was diagnosed with two small labral tears this spring. The dr. gave him a cortisone shot and started him on physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in the shoulder. Both helped the pain very quickly (he was having trouble getting comfortable in bed). He is now on a throwing program and has not experienced any pain so far (hope that continues).

I would recommend a course of treatment with a Physical Therapist who specializes in overhand throwing. There are a number of exercises that can help strengthen the supporting structure of your shoulder. Keeping the joint in proper alignment helps reduce pain. I'm an old man, but I had a slap repair 7 years ago and I still have a couple of simple go-to exercises that help keep things in alignment.

A therapist can give you the exercises to do with bands. The routine is to do the therapy if it hurts after you do it a second time if it hurts after that you get surgery but if you're not throwing it will probably work. My son just went through it and had surgery back in February and had to redshirt his first year of college ball but is healing nicely.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.