Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

MidAtlanticDad posted:

Would you please give some detail of what you mean by the bottom hand spinning around the handle. Thanks

Try an experiment.  Put some electrical tape on the handle of any bat, lengthwise.  Using the box grip of MLB hitters, line up the far side of the tape with:

- bottom of bottom hand, first pinkie joint past the knuckle

- top of top hand, knuckle

(A pic would be easier than my long description above, but I can't hold the bat and take a pic, sorry.)

Now take some dry swings, and see which hand moves on the bat. 

Last edited by SultanofSwat

My son started with the Driveline over/underload bats with Axe handles.  He was skeptical at first but now prefers the handle.  In terms of benefits, I have not seen any, but if you are more comfortable then there should be some benefit.

Swing one once.  They do have a nice feel to them.  And if Driveline is partnering with them, I don't think it's a gimmick.

Last edited by Boilermaker
SultanofSwat posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:

Would you please give some detail of what you mean by the bottom hand spinning around the handle. Thanks

OK, and you think that movement is important? I'm asking bc my son recently broke the hook of the hamate bone in his lower hand. I've read that the axe handle distributes the impact of hitting better across the palm of the bottom hand. Axe offers a 30 day money-back guarantee. I'm thinking it's worth trying out.

MidAtlanticDad posted:
SultanofSwat posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:

OK, and you think that movement is important? I'm asking bc my son recently broke the hook of the hamate bone in his lower hand. I've read that the axe handle distributes the impact of hitting better across the palm of the bottom hand. Axe offers a 30 day money-back guarantee. I'm thinking it's worth trying out.

Sons team had a kid have the hamate removed and he switched to axe and was successful after he returned with it

My 2023 loves the BBCOR Axe bat. He tried out several different brands and models before getting a new one and he liked the feel of the handle and how it helped keep his hands flat through the hitting zone. Since he has been using it he also has mentioned that the oval shape of the handle makes it easier to "feel" when he is not squaring up or if he is rolling his hands too early. He is sold, but I imagine it is individual to each hitter.

Sorry to report a bad experience with Axe BBCOR. Son had hook of hamate surgery last summer. Felt pretty good during the fall, then his wrist started hurting in January when ramping up for the season. I thought the Axe bat might help, so I ordered him a HyperWhip Fusion one-piece alloy. He really liked the axe handle, but within two weeks, the end of the bat showed signed of separating. This isn't a normal end-cap, it's a 3" carbon fiber piece fused to the end of an alloy bat. Not a good start, but Axe did replace the bat. Within another couple of weeks, the carbon fiber end piece on the second bat gets smashed in from a ball off the end of the bat. At this point I'm really unhappy and I want a refund. This end piece design is obviously flawed. Axe refused to refund my money (passed the 30 day free trial) and would only offer a different model replacement bat. They didn't have another one-piece alloy, so he went with a two-piece model with an alloy barrel. Son didn't like that model because it's more end-loaded, so I'm stuck with it. Bottom line: Bat design was sub-par. Customer service was just barely ok. My advice to Axe would be to just license the handle to bat makers who know what they're doing.

For Sale: barely used 33" 2019 Elite Hybrid BBCOR - Pro Axe Handle (L130G-BJ)

PM me if interested after this glowing review.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.