Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The $99 deal is ok to get third party metrics posted on Web and show first timers how a showcase is run.  You avoid making a bad impression at a school camp.   You avoid the higher costs of PG or PBR showcases.  But if kid is a stud, might as well skip the getting feet wet trial run and do an event that could lead to something.  PG grade opens doors.  PBR in some states.   Not sure if BF does.

bandera posted:

The $99 deal is ok to get third party metrics posted on Web and show first timers how a showcase is run.  You avoid making a bad impression at a school camp.   You avoid the higher costs of PG or PBR showcases.  But if kid is a stud, might as well skip the getting feet wet trial run and do an event that could lead to something.  PG grade opens doors.  PBR in some states.   Not sure if BF does.

Great advice! BF has always seemed like a money grab in my opinion. But as Bandera said, it can be an inexpensive way to get measurables and get showcase event experience as long as you go into it knowing it's not going to open any doors. 

One thing BF did provide in our experience was excellent video (pitching). Just over 2 min long, side work followed by facing multiple live batters from behind the plate. You can clearly see the umpire's calls for each pitch. Well-edited, professional, and definitely suitable for posting on you tube and sharing with coaches.  There was no extra cost for this beyond attending the event.  I'm not sure if they also offer this at the tryouts, but if so it might be worth the money for that alone.

Last edited by Enjoying the Ride

Son did the BF $99 early on in his recruiting (I think as a rising 9th grader). Got good baseline #s. Did event a couple of other events that did involve flights and lodging. Pre-Season All-American tourney in AZ had some really talented players, some committed to P5 schools or drafted . It was also BF which timed son's HTF at our request (I think it's more common on their profiles now). 60 & HTF times were critical in son's recruitment. We also went to "update his numbers" at subsequent $99 "tryouts" with no additional cost. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.