Skip to main content

Son just returned from injury and appears to be good to go. He was contacted by two coaches last week wanting him to take visits to their campus. One is D3 and the other a power NAIA. My question is, this seems early for these schools making a push (although my son is a senior) or is this normal? We are going on both visits, although both are out of state. Son is open to playing anywhere and he's projected D2 and below.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't think it's too early. My 2019 had shoulder surgery two weeks ago and we are making a trip early next month, over 2000 miles away, based on a D3 HC request (and he is fully aware of the surgery and rehab time). He has also got an NAIA HC asking what his time frame for making a decision about where he will go and getting him on campus (out of state) so I think it's probably in line with what is happening for a lot of kids over the next few months.

CTbballDad posted:

If your son is a senior, I don't think it's late at all.  Time to start working on those college applications!

We're good on that part, he's already been accepted to several state schools as a backup. The two baseball schools asked him to apply as well, and that's what he did. I'm assuming the D3 wants that so they can see what kind of academic money they could offer and probably the same with the NAIA school. I know momma wants something closer, but I told her, hey if this is what he has right now and it happens to be a good fit, then it's his decision. That means we just travel more. LOL

I was told the smaller Texas schools don't start a hard push till winter into Spring? If that's the case, they are losing some quality ball players that are seniors and haven't been heavily recruited to out of state schools. I don't think son wants to wait around till the Spring. Anyone have info if that's true?

tequila posted:

I don't think it's too early. My 2019 had shoulder surgery two weeks ago and we are making a trip early next month, over 2000 miles away, based on a D3 HC request (and he is fully aware of the surgery and rehab time). He has also got an NAIA HC asking what his time frame for making a decision about where he will go and getting him on campus (out of state) so I think it's probably in line with what is happening for a lot of kids over the next few months.

Dang, good luck. Mine broke his throwing hand during Hurricane Harvey (Surgery), came back from that with an arm issue, fought through it and made varsity, but had to rehab entire Junior Year. Came back from that to have a hip impingement issue and missed all of summer ball. Just now got 100% healthy, so I feel your pain. 

TXdad2019 posted:
gunner34 posted:

some smaller Texas schools are offering,  a 2019 we know just verbally committed to a small school on the hill in Austin.  

Must be St. Edwards. Always wondered how much they offer because it's over $50k a year to attend school there. It's very nice though and good program.

It is nice and it is a good program. And its a good school and Austin is an awesome college town. But they also over-recruit and use athletics as a means to increase student population & revenue.  Take a look at the roster numbers.  Any school that has a JV baseball program is guilty of what I just said.  They also like to bring in proven Juco guys. It's a numbers game there so you better know what you are getting into. 

adbono posted:
TXdad2019 posted:
gunner34 posted:

some smaller Texas schools are offering,  a 2019 we know just verbally committed to a small school on the hill in Austin.  

Must be St. Edwards. Always wondered how much they offer because it's over $50k a year to attend school there. It's very nice though and good program.

It is nice and it is a good program. And its a good school and Austin is an awesome college town. But they also over-recruit and use athletics as a means to increase student population & revenue.  Take a look at the roster numbers.  Any school that has a JV baseball program is guilty of what I just said.  They also like to bring in proven Juco guys. It's a numbers game there so you better know what you are getting into. 

I am curious about schools with JV programs. One of the schools that invited my son on visit has a JV program. Curious on how that works. Do the programs with a JV put let's say Freshmen on it? Or I guess that would be questions the recruit would need to ask.

TXdad2019 posted:
adbono posted:
TXdad2019 posted:
gunner34 posted:

I am curious about schools with JV programs. One of the schools that invited my son on visit has a JV program. Curious on how that works. Do the programs with a JV put let's say Freshmen on it? Or I guess that would be questions the recruit would need to ask.

JV programs (for the most part) are primarily a vehicle that is used to recruit more players and generate more tuition revenue for the school.  That is my opinion based on what I have observed.

adbono posted:
TXdad2019 posted:
adbono posted:
TXdad2019 posted:
gunner34 posted:

JV programs (for the most part) are primarily a vehicle that is used to recruit more players and generate more tuition revenue for the school.  That is my opinion based on what I have observed.

The odds of moving from JV to varsity are slim and none. Soph year when the JV player is trying to make varsity there’s a new batch of preferred recruits. The best shot is a pitcher who physically develops and throws harder after arriving. 

Some D3 coaches get bonuses for convincing players to attend their college regardless of whether they will ever see the  arsity field. It’s additional paying customers for the college. 

JV varies from School to School. The school my son attended had JV games, however there was no JV roster or schedule posted. Those Games mostly happened on the spring trip with maybe one or two after they got back. Coach used it to see more of some players that did not get enough of an opportunity in Varsity games. So just need to do research. I would be cautious of any coach talking about JV. 

Schools that do early decision usually have a dead line somewhere around Nov 1. So this is not early at all, for first contact. It might even be a little late for D3's. For D3 remember there is no official commitment. D3 coaches have little control over the amount of money a recruit is offered. It is all based on Academics. Coaches/administrations like students to apply Early action. More academic money that way, Unless you are an absolute Stud Academically, and could get a full academic ride anywhere. 

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

JV varies from School to School. The school my son attended had JV games, however there was no JV roster or schedule posted. Those Games mostly happened on the spring trip with maybe one or two after they got back. Coach used it to see more of some players that did not get enough of an opportunity in Varsity games. So just need to do research. I would be cautious of any coach talking about JV. 

Schools that do early decision usually have a dead line somewhere around Nov 1. So this is not early at all, for first contact. It might even be a little late for D3's. For D3 remember there is no official commitment. D3 coaches have little control over the amount of money a recruit is offered. It is all based on Academics. Coaches/administrations like students to apply Early action. More academic money that way, Unless you are an absolute Stud Academically, and could get a full academic ride anywhere. 

Sent you a pm

There is a user here who may not check in often these days.  I don't mean to speak for him, but reading his posts, it sounded like the very, very successful baseball program in CA his son joined was very much like Adbono described, though in this case more about building  a powerhouse program at all cost than about increasing the school's enrollment:

...they also over-recruit and use athletics as a means to increase student population & revenue.  Take a look at the roster numbers.  Any school that has a JV baseball program is guilty of what I just said.  They also like to bring in proven Juco guys. It's a numbers game there so you better know what you are getting into. 

Baseball-wise it did not work out well for this user's son, though last he posted he was very happy at the school as a non-player  --- which leads back to one very important bit of advice that is give often here: go where you would be happy to remain without baseball.

It isn't early at all. If anything, it's getting a tad late. There will be a bunch of schools holding camps this fall before the ED deadline(typically in NOV). The trick is fitting it all in. 

While schools do keep recruiting right up till the RD (Jan) and beyond, in some cases, most want to get the bulk of their team in the ED round.

TXdad2019 posted:
BishopLeftiesDad posted:

Sent you a pm

Thanks got it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.