Skip to main content

SUMOM3 posted:

Hi everyone, I’m the OP.  I haven’t had much to contribute since my initial post and follow-up.  But I have enjoyed reading all the comments.  I just wanted to say that I still support my son 100% in his decision, but man it has been way harder for me than I thought it would be!!  I am truly sad that he isn’t playing anymore. There are so many reminders in this house of his 14 years playing baseball.  And it seems like every memory that pops up on Facebook is a baseball post lol.  Has anyone else gone through this “mourning” when their child hung up their cleats for good? I know that must sound ridiculous, but I’ll really miss watching him play... mainly because I loved watching him do what he loved.  I don’t let him know how I’m feeling  though... because if I’m this sad, I know it must really be bothering him and I don’t want to make it worse for him. I know he was really, really worried about disappointing his dad and me. 

Sum, yeah, i think we all go through this to varying degrees.  Regarding your last two comments, it's really important to put focus on all the other things aside from baseball that make him the person that he is.  Embrace his other interests, his career direction and the new passions he will find.  When he sees that from you, he will be more than fine.

Chico Escuela posted:
rynoattack posted:

As others have said, it will eventually end for them all.  Although it is not the same, having my son go off to college so far away, I had to find something to do with my time.  I decided to go back to school and earn my MBA.  After years of focusing on my kids, it was nice to do something for myself.  It was hard to get back into the swing of writing papers, taking tests, etc., but it was really good for ME.  Find something for yourself, pull back a little, and you'll find your comfort zone.

Probably a wiser course of action than the plan I have been mulling to adopt a 5-year-old tee ball player with promising skills...   

Chico Escuela posted:
rynoattack posted:

As others have said, it will eventually end for them all.  Although it is not the same, having my son go off to college so far away, I had to find something to do with my time.  I decided to go back to school and earn my MBA.  After years of focusing on my kids, it was nice to do something for myself.  It was hard to get back into the swing of writing papers, taking tests, etc., but it was really good for ME.  Find something for yourself, pull back a little, and you'll find your comfort zone.

Probably a wiser course of action than the plan I have been mulling to adopt a 5-year-old tee ball player with promising skills...   

They’re called grand kids. 

I had a coach at a division 1 school in Conference USA that was miserable. Abused verbally and physically, called kids derogatory names. Freaked out on a trainer and kicked his equipment one morning at weights.

dont put up with it. The best thing I ever did was leave and go to a junior college and then transfer to another division 1 school where the coaches respected their players. Both my jucu coach and my 4 year coach Are great mentors and will forever be great friends of mine.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.