Skip to main content

My son knows a few kids who attended this one last year.  This is June.  Just about at the end of the school year in the Northeast.  When it was held, they had 154 players attending.  I looked at the numbers and saw that it was 3% seniors, 38% juniors, 25% sophomores, 27% freshmen and 7% 8th graders.

I don't know much.  But, it's probably a good bet that this was not intended for seniors and 8th graders.  Those guys were probably too late and too early to be attending something like this event.

That leaves 138 kids.  Using that as a base number, then it was 42% juniors, 28% sophomores and 30% freshmen.

Therefore, statistically speaking, almost 60% of the kids there were younger than juniors and that was a pretty even split between freshmen and sophomores.

Were all, or most, of these underclassmen jumping the gun attending this type of showcase? Or, is this the type of thing they should be doing after their 1st or 2nd year of HS?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Another view.

Attending the NE Sunshine provided Johnny (Frosh) with his first opportunity of what to expect in a showcase.

We went with a game plan of how to show well at a showcase, which took 6 mos of pre-showcase activity.

He did well enough that the local ACC team put him on their follow list.

The following year (Soph), he attended again and the improvement showed in the grades and “Confidence.”

ACC team invited him on an Unofficial Visit and he joined a Summer Team program in Va.

Leaving our region for Va was the best opportunity for him, since they played in Va and South. NOTE: A ton of travel, but we’re primarily a hockey family. Some will understand.

Did not need to attend after Jr year; switched to a Fla Summer Team and was recruited by SEC power house.

Based on the college recruiting and player level, we should have attended the Fla Sunshine.

Bottom Line, pay the fee to get a better gauge of his level and make a plan to improve.

Good Luck

2022NYC posted:

Franny, just look at their posted "grades" and metrics. You can make an educated guess where your boy fits in and decide if it is worth shelling out the hundred of dollars to attend and get a nice shirt. Luckily you have lots of bats to sell to offset costs ;-) 

Actually, we're almost down to a normal level!  Then again, I have sold 31 of them over the last 4 1/2 years!

BaseballBUDDY posted:

Another view.

Attending the NE Sunshine provided Johnny (Frosh) with his first opportunity of what to expect in a showcase.

We went with a game plan of how to show well at a showcase, which took 6 mos of pre-showcase activity.

He did well enough that the local ACC team put him on their follow list.

The following year (Soph), he attended again and the improvement showed in the grades and “Confidence.”

ACC team invited him on an Unofficial Visit and he joined a Summer Team program in Va.

Leaving our region for Va was the best opportunity for him, since they played in Va and South. NOTE: A ton of travel, but we’re primarily a hockey family. Some will understand.

Did not need to attend after Jr year; switched to a Fla Summer Team and was recruited by SEC power house.

Based on the college recruiting and player level, we should have attended the Fla Sunshine.

Bottom Line, pay the fee to get a better gauge of his level and make a plan to improve.

That's an incredible course of events!  Thank you for sharing it.  Hearing it does give some food for thought!

RJM

I agree.

The point I was attempting to make as a parent who didn’t know about baseball; I didn’t know the talent projection.

If I did not attend the NE Sunshine, I wouldn’t know how Johnny projected.

There are many talented players who do not get seen, because parents don’t know what/where/how/when.

There’s no guarantee that “They’ll find Him.”  That’s not reality.

Just saying

BaseballBUDDY posted:

RJM

I agree.

The point I was attempting to make as a parent who didn’t know about baseball; I didn’t know the talent projection.

If I did not attend the NE Sunshine, I wouldn’t know how Johnny projected.

There are many talented players who do not get seen, because parents don’t know what/where/how/when.

There’s no guarantee that “They’ll find Him.”  That’s not reality.

Just saying

Bingo. 

PG just updated the 2019 rankings -- not trying to get into an argument about whether the rankings are accurate, but I would say if you're in 1-499, you'll be found by the 300 D1 programs. Everyone below that needs to hustle -- take video all the time (just in case something good happens), get verified metrics, etc., etc. As we approach signing day, I'm sure everyone has examples of uncommitted kids where it seems shocking that they are uncommitted (I certainly do) . . . but it happens every year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.