Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

He receives a prorated MLB salary for the duration of his time in the majors. Chances are it’s minimum MLB pay.

Some players have contracts stating in the minors they make X and if in the majors they make Y. These are typically players who have been up before. 

Last edited by RJM
Trust In Him posted:

If player is a no show, retires, or just leaves then the bonus will be pro-rated for the amount of years played, over 5 years total.  Player will have to give back that portion already paid.  After  5 years playing then player keeps entire signing bonus.  If injury forces an early retirement and is verifiable, get to keep entire bonus. 

This may be a case-by-case, team-by-team basis?  Depend on the round?  Not sure....

I read of a player that had to give up half of his bonus after quitting after his first season to go to football.  (This may have been negotiated).

Another, pay back half of the bonus if he doesn't stick for 3 years. 

I am pretty sure the "plane ticket" guys get to keep the full amount.  (later rounds; 4th-5th year players that get $1000, etc) 

Last edited by keewart
Kingsman posted:

You mean his signing bonus is prorated over 5 years and he doesn't actually get it when he signs?

As Keewart mentioned, it might be a case/team basis.  I took this pretty much directly from son's contract.  His signing bonus is negotiated, can be all up front, part in year 1 & 2, part in 1,2,3, etc.  Lets say as an example, $1mil signing bonus, all up front (when he signs contract).  Year 2 he hates baseball and leaves, thus he played 2/5 years.  He will be required to give back $600K and keep $400K (2 years worth).  Clause also up to modification if team will require him to pay it back or not.

How much do MLB Scouts make?  Noticed a new Orioles GM announced today, former Yale P who started as a Scout right after college.  I know few former NESCAC players who started as Scouts right after graduation as well.  Focus is likely a front office job down the road...just wondering what the salary curve looks like.  It's got to be a rough route compensation wise.

Pat Connaughton (Blazers, Bucks) was a first round baseball prospect with a 94 mph fastball. The Orioles drafted him in the 4th round and gave him 428K due to his love of basketball. 

He went to low A (not short season) and pitched well. He went back to Norte Dame for senior year and continued to play basketball. The Blazers fearing he was a better baseball prospect drafted him in the 2nd round. Only 1st round NBA contracts are guaranteed.

He’s now 26 in his 4th season as an NBA 8th/9th man. The Orioles have not taken him to court to recoup money. As of last year they mentioned they were still hoping he would return to baseball.

In three NBA seasons he’s made 3M. He just signed for one year guaranteed at 1.5M. The Bucks hold the option on the second year. The Orioles see him returning to baseball next year at 27 as last chance.

It was years ago but the Celtics paid the Blue Jays what Danny Ainge would have had to return by leaving the organization to play basketball.

In both cases these baseball players went to the minors (Ainge got called up to start) then blossomed as college basketball players.

Kingsman posted:

You mean his signing bonus is prorated over 5 years and he doesn't actually get it when he signs?

You would think that a check would be attached to the contract when he signs, but that's not quite how it works. 

Big money gets part of the bonus 1-2 months after the contract is signed, and part the following year.  If you can spread it out more than 2 years, that helps tax wise, but not all bonuses justify splitting and spreading out over several years.   Lord knows what is done for the foreign guys.  

Trust In Him posted:
MattyG posted:

Wow. and here i thought you get your sign on bonus right after signing

I think it depends on the bonus amount, some may get  it when they sign or within a few days

Delays on the payout could be for medical exams on pitching arms, prior injurys, etc.  Bonuses could (and can) be reduced based on outcome.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.