Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Depends on where he is going and how much that program supplies to its players. My son is a frosh RHP in college and they have supplied almost everything he needs in terms of baseball. All of our purchases have been typical college student supplies and things for his dorm room. He did have to use his own glove during the fall but they supplied bag, training attire, shoes, cleats, etc. Long story short, not sure there is a lot baseball wise that would make a good gift but others may have an idea.

For me it was kind of a sad feeling once my son headed off to college....no more buying/selling baseball gear, as he gets more than enough thru the program now.  We always enjoyed trying new things.  I got to be pretty efficient with Ebay lol.  Heck, we ordered a 30-22 for him when he was 12 or so and the company sent a brand new 33-30 by mistake (it was about $150 more)   I called them....they said it's not worth our hassle to have you send it back...just keep it if you want it.  Needless to say, I resold it at a tidy profit.

That being said....the fact that I no longer have to buy gear leaves my wallet quite a bit fatter    I really can't remember the last time I bought something baseball related

Agree with others, do you know what equipment the school provides?  There may not be much he needs to provide.  Way different sport but when I ran track in college everything was provided to us.  We were a D2 school who had a contact with Nike.  Everything from practice clothes, to duffle bags, to unis to multiple pair of shoes were provided. Heck I think I could even get a jock if I wanted it.  

I would lean towards things he needs for school instead of baseball.  Or how about fortnite credits?  Don't discount the amount of time a college kid will spend on video games.

At that age, they tend to be very particular with their related equipment wants... beyond what parents know unless the parents ask.  We would either use his friends/girlfriend as secret intel operatives or just ask him for a Christmas list.  Or, maybe leave out an Eastbay catalog and see what he zones in on.

One thought... when they are in this deep with baseball, sometimes it's nice to get something totally unrelated to remind them that they are much more than baseball players in your eyes.

Also, if he is already committed, he may appreciate some school logo apparel.

We have no idea what your son already has or doesn't so this is sorta tough.  Lessons? J-bands? Workout equipment? 

Good suggestions.  If he's a pitcher without J-Bands, those are a must! 

I know my RHP son cannot get enough 3/4 sleeve length shirts, dry fit shirts, and shorts. Before his senior year, my son HAD to have a new glove for his senior year. I can't remember if my parents got it for his December birthday or Christmas, but it was just one short year later that his college offered gloves half off... and he HAS to have a new one because it has the college logo.  *facepalm*

FFXfireman posted:

Good suggestions.  If he's a pitcher without J-Bands, those are a must! 

I know my RHP son cannot get enough 3/4 sleeve length shirts, dry fit shirts, and shorts. Before his senior year, my son HAD to have a new glove for his senior year. I can't remember if my parents got it for his December birthday or Christmas, but it was just one short year later that his college offered gloves half off... and he HAS to have a new one because it has the college logo.  *facepalm*

Yep another thing to consider.  Once in college, depending on contracts, there maybe specific equipment/brands your son can or can not use.  If your thinking whatever you buy him will last him into college you may want to check on that.

Joes87 is spot on.  There are exceptions but almost everyone must use sponsors/contract equipment, which depending on the school, may include bag, cleats, glove, batting gloves, helmet, etc.  Keep in mind also that contracts may change.  After freshman year school changed bat sponsorship/contract and son had to use a new bat.   There may be long bus rides to away games.  My son valued his high quality headphones/earphones to drown out all the bus noise, to relax, get in the right frame of mind, and catch some zzzzz.

I agree on the high quality headphones. We also did tons of comfy sweats--that's pretty much all he wears for class. I agree on the gear--picked my 2018 up for dinner shortly after he arrived at school and my heart sank wondering how much he spent on the cool new shoes. They came from the school, along with his personalized glove. This says something about me as a parent, but the Christmas before the kids left for college was when they got their first TV sets for their rooms, gas cards and gift cards, cause he didn't have time to work, some quality headphones, etc., and a sport coat, good slacks and tie to wear for alumni events when they travel.

To add:  What the school (college) may not provide are the undergarments.....jock, compression shorts, underarmour type cold gear for those very cold February games, etc.  Several fresh new ones now will last him.

To add to the bus ride gifts (like headphones):  a cheap "bus pillow" and "bus fleece blanket".  Son made a trip to Walmart to get these and kept them in his car trunk to remember them easily for those long night bus rides.   

After typing these out they seem like lame Christmas presents.  But they are needed, lol.

Forgot about the headphone idea....you have no idea how much time your son will spend on a bus.  If he doesn't have a nice set now, he'll definitely appreciate them come the start of his freshman season.  You can't go wrong with Oakleys.....or a nice bluetooth speaker for his bedroom/dorm room if he doesn't already have a stereo system of some kind.

As many folks have mentioned, I may steer more towards other things for college besides baseball.  I know its hard, but it maybe the better choice in the long run.  Headphones and a new phone maybe good.  Unless your playing for top Power 5 football or basketball team its bus city for you.  They will be spending hours on busses getting between games.  Gift cards for food (bdubs, chic fil a, etc) are always appreciated.  Especially if they are living in the dorms.

If you don't have it, subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.  A new smartTV is good.  If they do not have a smart TV roku or apple tv are good choices.

Finally take a look at his laptop.  If its more then a few years old, consider upgrading it.  I would check with the college to see what is the most prominent on campus.  My guess is its a MacBook.  Most college kids seem to be using those these days.  It should not matter what they bring on campus (MacBook or Windows, but not Chromebook), but it may.  My older son went off to college with a shinny new Windows computer.  Three weeks in he called and was asking for a MacBook.  Turns out most of the profs were using MacBooks and everything they did was demo'd, passed out and handed in on MacBooks.  In theory things should translate back and forth but that is not always the case.  

keewart posted:
CmassRHPDad posted:

Let him customize a new glove at Rawlings.com.

That always had my son very excited. He'd spend hours going over colors, lacing, embroidery.

Then he also has something to look forward to when the snow melts!

https://www.rawlings.com/site-...wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And you can customize your own Nike shoes!

https://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/nikeid

And New Balance

https://www.newbalance.com/nb1/explore/

PitchingFan posted:

I would recommend a custom glove.  My middle son gave my youngest a custom glove last Christmas from Martin Custom Gloves in Mississippi.  He used it all spring, summer, and fall.  You can customize leather, logo, and names to any colors.

He didn't go wild with glove so no umpire would throw it out pitching.

Is UT a Rawlings school? We know a player at an Under Armor school. Hated the mitt so he had a custom glove site remove the logo and sew an UA logo onto his Pro Preferred. Probably get in trouble for that but the cameras don't reach the outfield all that well. 

PABaseball posted:
PitchingFan posted:

I would recommend a custom glove.  My middle son gave my youngest a custom glove last Christmas from Martin Custom Gloves in Mississippi.  He used it all spring, summer, and fall.  You can customize leather, logo, and names to any colors.

He didn't go wild with glove so no umpire would throw it out pitching.

Is UT a Rawlings school? We know a player at an Under Armor school. Hated the mitt so he had a custom glove site remove the logo and sew an UA logo onto his Pro Preferred. Probably get in trouble for that but the cameras don't reach the outfield all that well. 

No.  It is not a Rawlings glove but made by Martin Custom Gloves for much cheaper and I believe just as high a quality glove.  He was junior when brother bought it for him and had the T put on it because he had already committed.  He will use it this spring and summer and his freshman year at UT then probably put it on a shelf as a great reminder.  I thought it was a very cool gift from a brother to his little brother.  My middle son has always given him gloves since he got a new one every year playing college ball.  He gave his old one to his little brother until the senior year and he kept that one.  Great relationship.  I just think a custom glove with his future team is neat and for not a big price.  Check them out. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.