Skip to main content

Do any of you guys use this?  If so what would be some good ranges for Varsity vs JV or Freshman / Sophomore vs Junior / Senior?  

We have been using it during our offseason workouts but without a frame of reference to go by I don't think we are using it to it's fullest potential.

Is there anything like this that does measure launch angle coming off the bat?

I'm an old grumpy guy who hates for people to be on my lawn but I really want to embrace the technology out there to help improve hitting but need some guidance on what to use and how to use it.

Thanks

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. Thomas Jefferson

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have it and also the blast vision app. The motion is good to get bat speed and attack angle. My son has plus barrel speed but above avg hand speed, dont know what that means and not sure if he needs to improve it. The blast vision is nice for LA and EV of the ball but it is tee only.  The ball coach pocket radar had lower ev by a few mph than blast vision app

Thanks 2022NYC - I've been wondering if getting the blast vision was worth it but wasn't sure of the value for price.  But I want to measure launch angle and exit velocity so I guess I'll need to.  You could probably try 3 or 4 different things to measure EV and get different readings on each one but using same thing and measuring progress would be best.

For $10, Blast vision is a good deal. Off the tee metrics is fine to work on mechanics and of course practice for show cases. I really do like the rapsodo or hittrax for front toss and hitting with live pitching. It is somewhat cost manageable on a small group setting but that depends on the facility that rents it out.

Last edited by 2022NYC
coach2709 posted:
IEBSBL posted:

We use Blast and if you look into the program itself it gives you ranges for the different levels of baseball.  i.e. JV, Varsity, College

We test every other week off Tee and Test every other week on BP

Do you have charts that each player has to track progress?  If so would you mind sharing one with me?

I do every player under a session and then my T.A. inputs the numbers the following day, it is a simple excel spread sheet .  I don't have the players do it because I want to make sure it gets done correctly and with accuracy.  We post the sheet on the dug out wall as well as have in on a google sheet they have access to.   We reward the following with a Gatorade.  (High, High Average, Most improved in all 3 areas)  I only keep track of the 3 areas because I did not want to get over whelmed as this was the 1st time I did it.

Name                     Date

Bat Speed

Attack Angle

Blast Factor

IEBSBL posted:
coach2709 posted:
IEBSBL posted:

We use Blast and if you look into the program itself it gives you ranges for the different levels of baseball.  i.e. JV, Varsity, College

We test every other week off Tee and Test every other week on BP

Do you have charts that each player has to track progress?  If so would you mind sharing one with me?

I do every player under a session and then my T.A. inputs the numbers the following day, it is a simple excel spread sheet .  I don't have the players do it because I want to make sure it gets done correctly and with accuracy.  We post the sheet on the dug out wall as well as have in on a google sheet they have access to.   We reward the following with a Gatorade.  (High, High Average, Most improved in all 3 areas)  I only keep track of the 3 areas because I did not want to get over whelmed as this was the 1st time I did it. 

The podcast below with Jason Ochart of Driveline might be of interest. He changed the way they measure guys from tee to front-toss, because the hitters were taking big softball style swings off the tee just to get max EV. He didn't like what that was doing to their swings. The hitting discussion begins around the 45 minute mark.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/po...&i=1000425346234

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.