Skip to main content

Just curious what this means?  Looking at stats from a local PBR event here in Indy and the standout graduated in 2018, but is now at IMG Academy and is reclassified?  Here is cut/paste from the article:  

The overall top prospect at the event was 2019 SS Benson (IMG, FL). Benson, formerly a 2018 grad from Chesterton HS, reclassified and is now down at IMG in Florida. At 6-foot-2, 195 pounds Benson is athletic with a strong tool set. The switch hitter stood out during his BP rounds, specifically from the right side. He hits from an open, balance setup showing fluid rhythm. Showcased plus bat speed from a longer bat path that produced tons of juice and power potential. He registered a top exit velocity of 103 mph off the tee. As a defender, Benson displayed above average glove work with quick, fluid feet and a clean exchange. He possesses plenty of arm strength with carry to stay on the left side of the diamond (92 mph). Top 60 time of 6.98. Benson recently committed to North Alabama.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You change high schools, typically from public to private, and you repeat a year ending up with 5 years in high school. 

So, for example, if you go to your public high and, after your sophomore year, you see you're not going to get PT or feel you need more time to develop, you decide to go to the local private school or IMG.  Instead of starting your junior year, you will enter as a sophomore.

CTbballDad posted:

You change high schools, typically from public to private, and you repeat a year ending up with 5 years in high school. 

So, for example, if you go to your public high and, after your sophomore year, you see you're not going to get PT or feel you need more time to develop, you decide to go to the local private school or IMG.  Instead of starting your junior year, you will enter as a sophomore.

That's pretty much what I figured, BUT the kid (man?) actually graduated in 2018--so, it seems to be the most extreme example of what you are describing. 

DALEX posted:
CTbballDad posted:

That's pretty much what I figured, BUT the kid (man?) actually graduated in 2018--so, it seems to be the most extreme example of what you are describing. 

If he already graduated, then he's doing/one can do a Post Graduate (PG) year.  When they say "formerly a 2018 grad" that can mean he literally did graduate or they're inferring he was a class of 2018.  Either way, he's extended his HS years, either by re-classing or a PG year

Francis7 posted:

Brady Aiken did this exact same thing:  https://www.mlb.com/news/forme...-academy/c-110507572

It's a way to get back into the draft in just one year.

From a draft perspective, it makes sense--especially for a late bloomer who is just starting to put on muscle his junior/senior year.  I did a bit more research on the kid and it looks like he did add a lot of muscle/strength late and now his measurables do seem to be nearing(at) a level that will garner draft interest.

DALEX posted:
CTbballDad posted:

He’s post gradding. It’s very common in football as opposed to redshirting. The kid enters college still having five to play four.

My son has a May birthday in adddition to having been a physical late bloomer. Rather than reclassify entering high school we decided PGing would be the route if needed. It wasn’t. 

While it's probably not the reason that this particular athlete is doing a Post-grad year at IMG, it can be important to keep in mind that for NCAA Division I eligibility purposes, doing a post-grad year, or reclassifying after an athlete has started high school, only provides a very limited benefit.  Taking additional courses after the 4th year of high school will only rarely help an athlete gain eligibility for Division I.  However, delaying college enrollment does give a prospect more opportunities to take the ACT or SAT test if they need a higher test score to become a Qualifier.  

RJM posted:
DALEX posted:
CTbballDad posted:

He’s post gradding. It’s very common in football as opposed to redshirting. The kid enters college still having five to play four.

My son has a May birthday in adddition to having been a physical late bloomer. Rather than reclassify entering high school we decided PGing would be the route if needed. It wasn’t. 

My son is in the same boat - May birthday and a late bloomer physically. He got cut from the freshman baseball team, then grew about 5 inches and put on some  weight (where as before he was in the bottom third percentile wise for height and weight, he's now in the top 5 percent for height. Still bottom half for weight though) and made the JV team.  He's still growing and filling out, but if he is anything like me, his grandfathers and uncles he'll be between 6'2" and 6'4" and weigh around 200. So he's got the frame, we'll see if he has the talent and desire.

He's also a late bloomer academically and maturity--wise. An extra year would serve him well both physically, academically and emotionally. My gut feeling is that any academic school that is there before he PGs will still be there after, pretty much no matter how poorly he does there.

If you've written about your experience with your son and the PG decision, would you please link that? I'd be very interested in reading it!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.