Skip to main content

Given the recent threads about best D3 baseball programs, the NCSA website (link below) has what it calls a proprietary way of ranking the college baseball programs (4 year) at all levels.  The website has a useful filter where you can sort by the various divisions or leave them all combined.  The highest rated program from D3 is Johns Hopkins and UC-San Diego is the highest rated D2.  Both schools appear in the overall top 50 programs, and others like Emory and MIT appear in the overall top 100.

Rankings and ranking systems are always controversial and no doubt subject to debate.  This ranking appears to be more heavily weighted to the schools academic ranking than winning records. Nevertheless, since almost all of the kids playing college baseball at any level will not make a living playing baseball after college, it does make sense to factor in how important academics and the graduation rates are when evaluating programs.

https://www.ncsasports.org/bes...st-baseball-colleges

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Why would a D3 that is a perpetual loser be in the Top 100? It’s a great school. But I wouldn’t go play in a losing program, freezing my arse off with plowed snow banks around the field if I had other comparative academic options with a .500 or better baseball record.

Last edited by RJM

Proprietary is a euphemism... Maybe those in the top helped fund the study, err.... rankings ;-)... From my East Coast bias not surprised to see so many NESCAC and Centennial schools in the D3 list.

In D3, I get Hopkins - not only is the team good, the stadium built for hitters, but it's a good school too.  Continuing in the Centennial, I was really surprised to see Swathmore, F&M, Gettysburg, and Dickinson rated ahead of Haverford.  Along with Hopkins, Haverford and Swathmore were "known" as the harder schools to get into.  Not that any are easy, but when you're going thru the process with an academic child that's telling you those schools are harder to get into - it sticks with you. In the years my son played in that Conference JH and Haverford dominated the competition with Gettysburg and F&M usually near the top. Swat's been good lately, but my short term 4-6 years of following they weren't a perennial power like Hopkins.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.