Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Francis7 posted:
2019Dad posted:

Thread for the 2019 season, which kicks off Feb. 9th for us.

In NJ, our first game is scheduled for April 2nd.  8 weeks after you!

Yeah, I grew up in PA and can remember practicing with snow falling (flurries . . . but still). Of course, the other side of it here is that teams play games all winter -- just by way of example:

http://www.westranchbaseball.com/fall/  or  https://www.cdmbaseball.org/page/show/272428-calendar

Last edited by 2019Dad
2019Dad posted:
Francis7 posted:
2019Dad posted:

Yeah, I grew up in PA and can remember practicing with snow falling (flurries . . . but still). Of course, the other side of it here is that teams play games all winter -- just by way of example:

http://www.westranchbaseball.com/fall/  or  https://www.cdmbaseball.org/page/show/272428-calendar

That's interesting... a 44 game fall/winter schedule prior to the actual Spring HS season... and I notice they post below each schedule the names of anyone that misses a game.  No pressure there 

My son's former team came one inning away from winning Section (kinda like winning State in CA) last season. There are still a lot of his former teammates playing, and they should be pretty good again this year, but I'll be missing their games as I'm now in NYC.  If anybody has a HS (or college) team for me to follow here, PM me. I'm going to need to see a few games!

HS tryouts in Feb. He has been killing it this off season with S&C in late August and packed on good muscles ~10 lbs and gained speed (based on flag football in the fall). He just started his onramping for throwing following DL. His hitting metrics are very good but needs to be tested against live pitching. He will be trying out for his freshman team in February.

2019Dad posted:
Francis7 posted:
2019Dad posted:

LOL!   Son's HS team never played in snow, but I distinctly remember light snow flurries during the first college (JuCo) home games we attended.   Brrrr!  Temperature was 38 F at game time and below freezing by the end of the 2nd game (double header).

My 2020 is in the throws of basketball season right now, but he's been keeping up with baseball training a few times a week and lifting a couple times a week.  It makes for a very busy schedule, but he's loving it and seeing results, so that is motivating.  

In the NW, our HS tryouts/practices start in late Feb and first game is early March.  Lots of rainy games in store for us--bleh!   The last two years, our basketball team has gone to state, which overlaps with the beginning of baseball, so my son has had to go from last state basketball game one day to his first day of baseball practice the next day. 

Hoping for a good baseball season this year!  My son's Freshman year, our varsity team was all Freshman and Sophomores (new program, small school) and we played schools with all Seniors on their rosters.  Lost every game that year, except 1 game where my son pitched the entire game (he's not even a pitcher!) and we won by 1 run.  Brutal.  Last year, they made districts!  Hoping this year is even better with some Juniors and Seniors on the team!

Tryouts start March 10, then Varsity/JV go down to FLA for spring break training and scrimmaging. Games start as early as possible...snow is often involved up here in MN.

Son#1 is in college, #2 trying out for one of two Freshman teams. I don't care too much what team he plays on as long as he gets to play a lot and has a good time. He has always played both pitcher and in the field, but i suspect that he will be groomed to be on the mound with the HS program. He isn't the fielder his brother was, but he can hit,  likes to hit, and is fast, so I don't know how all that is going to be handled. In our program, very few pitchers also hit, and even fewer play in the field.

The Varsity team has some talented position players, and can hit, but might struggle pitching wise. 

Last edited by 57special

In hs, do they try out by position? IE does coach ask what 2 positions do you want to try out for?  My son will be in hs next year and his current coach told the kids if a coach is to ask you what position do you play, your reponse should be,”anywhere you need me coach.” Which I thought was good.  But that might not be applicable if they have to try out by position. 

Dadof3 posted:

In hs, do they try out by position? IE does coach ask what 2 positions do you want to try out for?  My son will be in hs next year and his current coach told the kids if a coach is to ask you what position do you play, your reponse should be,”anywhere you need me coach.” Which I thought was good.  But that might not be applicable if they have to try out by position. 

Depends on the coach and if he sees kids that stand out and are locks at certain positions he may have kids work out in positions other than their primary ones to see who can help. For instance, my sons HS used an 8th grade feeder team to kind of determine where kids lined up for their progression into HS ball. My son was a darn good catcher, but there was another kid at tryouts who was a year older and more physically mature who was pretty clearly going to lock down that spot. Son worked out in MIF and is now playing a completely new position. Pays to be versatile for sure, because he made the cut over others who were primary in that position.

Dadof3 posted:

Dad, this is another one of those questions for which the answer can vary widely.  The length and nature of tryouts differs quite a bit as well.  For example, as a small/medium school with a lot of multisport kids and overlapping seasons, we will conduct tryouts, squad splits and practices over an extended period of time with a fair amount of overlap and various cut points.  Some schools will conduct a single tryout on a single date.  Regardless, I think most will at least make an attempt to look at a player as either an IF, OF, P, C or combination of.  You are likely to see something similar to a showcase environment.   A player is likely to get sent to a group taking ground balls and making throws, taking similar OF reps, possibly throwing a pen and possibly catching a pen (if there is some indication they may contribute as a P or C).  This, combined with some cage or on-field hacks and maybe some form of running typically make up the basic groundwork for a tryout.  From there, some programs have the luxury of more extensive looks and some do not.  

So, I think the answer his current coach suggested is a good starting point but it will likely benefit him if he also shares where he has played the most, whether IF, OF, P or C.  With incoming freshmen, HS coaches are generally more interested in determining whether a kid is a player or not as opposed to making specific determinations on where they will fit in.  That's not to say that it isn't part of the equation. 

Honestly, a decent HS coach can watch the first part of the first day of practice (playing catch after warming up) and pretty much tell by throwing motion and athleticism which kids are going to be good players and whether they are more likely to be IF, OF or P's.  Of course, it is tougher with big schools with large pools of talented players, but coaches of those programs usually have a pre-read on the better incoming players.  Just have your kid be himself, be respectful and play hard.  The rest will take care of itself.

Last edited by cabbagedad
Dadof3 posted:

At son's school, they try out for the team, not a position.  I think they get asked if they have pitched or caught before.  Coach will put them where he wants them to develop.

baseballhs posted:

Our boys have been in baseball class all year so cuts were made last Friday. They will have another tryout in January for football/basketball kids and then first game is first week of February.

Same state, level as baseballhs - Texas 6A.  Our coach gives each kid in baseball class at end of semester (today) a sheet of paper.  On the paper it says the most likely outcome(s) for the kid for the upcoming tryout.  So "Varsity/Cut" (for a senior), "Freshman/JV", "Varsity", "Freshman" etc.  Let's all the kids know where they stand.  No seniors are actually cut, if they played at any level the previous years.  But if they are not in the plans to play their senior year, they are told.  Some of the kids will get notes, "work on this/that". He will then meet with any kid in the class one on one to discuss if they have questions.

We lost some top level 2018 pitching, so we might struggle there even though there are a few 2022 (Freshman) Pitchers that can help...but probably won't be impactful.

My 2021 catcher will be on Varsity as the backup catcher, but will get his reps behind the plate as the #1 2020 catcher wants to be more of a pitcher this season.

We'll see how things work out.

My 2020 plays for a 6A Pennsylvania high school. He started OF/MI as a 10th grader, and got 3 starts on the mound as team won their section. Lost some talent but still should be pretty good this year. Barring injury I think the lineup is pretty well set. Season doesnt start til mid-March. Last spring our weather was brutal, hopefully we dont have a repeat. We had several local teams head south (NC, GA, FL) to get games in against other high schools while we were waiting for snow to melt. Wish my son's hs planned such a trip this year. But I guess we'll just have to keep fingers crossed for decent weather

#7 preseason Greater Houston area 

2ADE164B-7815-4D20-8E17-4E4FEA32073797EAB700-0AE7-4660-AE5A-85E264CB72196B6A3285-65EA-489A-A1E1-07AB0E0DCEE4

A young captain sailed from port, the stores of his ship full and fresh. The  seas were flat, a slight wind at his back. “With vigil, this journey will please the queen and profit the crown.”  The old salt murmured under his breath “the dragons of fate lie in wait”.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 2ADE164B-7815-4D20-8E17-4E4FEA320737
  • 97EAB700-0AE7-4660-AE5A-85E264CB7219
  • 6B6A3285-65EA-489A-A1E1-07AB0E0DCEE4
Go44dad posted:

#7 preseason Greater Houston area 

2ADE164B-7815-4D20-8E17-4E4FEA32073797EAB700-0AE7-4660-AE5A-85E264CB72196B6A3285-65EA-489A-A1E1-07AB0E0DCEE4

A young captain sailed from port, the stores of his ship full and fresh. The  seas were flat, a slight wind at his back. “With vigil, this journey will please the queen and profit the crown.”  The old salt murmured under his breath “the dragons of fate lie in wait”.

Here is the write up for the #1 on the list.

CYPRESS RANCH

Attachments

Images (1)
  • CYPRESS RANCH

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.