Skip to main content

PlayWithEffort posted:

Tryouts are done.

Practice has started and the weather is cold and wet.

T minus 30 day’s here in Georgia. 

Oh...and rumor has it there is an intra-squad game today. I might try to sneak over and watch a little of it. 

This is so different than here in NE Ohio.  Forecast this weekend is for a foot of snow lol.  But regardless of weather, what about basketball?  There is a little overlap but for the most part, the Ohio HS Athletic Association rules do not permit one sport seaon to start until the other is done (other than playoffs).  There are still at least 40 or so days left in the regular HS basketball season (not counting playoffs) - and you're starting baseball practice already and games in 30?  That's cool by me, just noting that it is different.  What about the boys who play both basketball and baseball (perish the thought)?

Qhead posted:
PlayWithEffort posted:

Tryouts are done.

Oh...and rumor has it there is an intra-squad game today. I might try to sneak over and watch a little of it. 

This is so different than here in NE Ohio.  Forecast this weekend is for a foot of snow lol.  But regardless of weather, what about basketball?  There is a little overlap but for the most part, the Ohio HS Athletic Association rules do not permit one sport seaon to start until the other is done (other than playoffs).  There are still at least 40 or so days left in the regular HS basketball season (not counting playoffs) - and you're starting baseball practice already and games in 30?  That's cool by me, just noting that it is different.  What about the boys who play both basketball and baseball (perish the thought)?

Basketball ends regular season on Feb 9 with tournament finals ending March 6-9. Basketball players typically start freeing up in mid to late February (assuming most don’t reach the semi finals or better.

GHSA requires players to finish their season (current sport) prior to practicing / playing in the next sport.

Baseball can start practice Jan 14. First game can start as early as Feb 11. The overlap is usually only a week or two for most players and they wait until basketball season ends prior to joining the baseball team. 

PlayWithEffort posted:
Qhead posted:
PlayWithEffort posted:

Tryouts are done.

T min byus 30 day’s here in Georgia. 

Basketball ends regular season on Feb 9 with tournament finals ending March 6-9. Basketball players typically start freeing up in mid to late February (assuming most don’t reach the semi finals or better.

GHSA requires players to finish their season (current sport) prior to practicing / playing in the next sport.

Baseball can start practice Jan 14. First game can start as early as Feb 11. The overlap is usually only a week or two for most players and they wait until basketball season ends prior to joining the baseball team. 

I did not k kw GHSA says a a player can not practice or play in the next season sport until the current season  sport is over.  Thanks for the info 

Alanj posted:
PlayWithEffort posted:
Qhead posted:
PlayWithEffort posted:

Tryouts are done.

T min byus 30 day’s here in Georgia. 

I did not k kw GHSA says a a player can not practice or play in the next season sport until the current season  sport is over.  Thanks for the info 

Same in Texas.  So at sub-varsity (no playoffs), there is very little overlap in most of the sports.  At Varsity, because of length of the playoffs, there becomes more overlap.

Same here is SC except you can play pre-season games.  So you can have several games before any basketball players are there.  We have four varsity starters who play basketball including mine so we have to work hard at getting those guys their reps in on the side.  Cannot be with any coach so my son has been throwing on his own for a couple of weeks and will continue.  Working to get him time with the sophomore starting catcher so they will be on the same page because the day basketball ends he will be on the mound for the baseball team.

My son's HS team (hopefully he will make the team this year) starts their winter workout at the end of September, 3 days a week, not at all mandatory, but gets the boys in shape and gets them in front of the coaches. Tryouts begin the 3rd week of February. I must say that doing the winter workouts is not a guarantee for the boys to make the team, which I like. Last year my son (8th grade) went to the workouts but did not make the Freshman team, we were devastated until a good friend told him that he just wasn't ready to play HS ball- that was the encouragement he needed to work even harder and its paying off!

Now he plays Select ball. After their Fall season, their practices started first week in December, 1 day a week until the end of February then will start back up with practice, games and tournaments as soon as HS ball is over. Of course they have an unwritten rule to hit the batting cages, tees etc. throughout the week.

Basically, my son plays or practices everyday He works hard and is dedicated to self improvement and now that he is 9th grade, now we are starting the camps and showcases as money and schedule permit.

meads posted:

My son's HS team (hopefully he will make the team this year) starts their winter workout at the end of September, 3 days a week, not at all mandatory, but gets the boys in shape and gets them in front of the coaches. Tryouts begin the 3rd week of February. I must say that doing the winter workouts is not a guarantee for the boys to make the team, which I like. Last year my son (8th grade) went to the workouts but did not make the Freshman team, we were devastated until a good friend told him that he just wasn't ready to play HS ball- that was the encouragement he needed to work even harder and its paying off!

Now he plays Select ball. After their Fall season, their practices started first week in December, 1 day a week until the end of February then will start back up with practice, games and tournaments as soon as HS ball is over. Of course they have an unwritten rule to hit the batting cages, tees etc. throughout the week.

Basically, my son plays or practices everyday He works hard and is dedicated to self improvement and now that he is 9th grade, now we are starting the camps and showcases as money and schedule permit.

Welcome to the site, Meads.  You may consider holding off on the showcase aspect of that plan for a while.  If your son wasn't ready to play HS ball a year ago, he probably doesn't have enough yet to impress recruiters.   That money can most likely be better spent on instruction/training or maybe a nice weekend with him doing anything except baseball since he plays every day.  That time will come.  Just a thought.

cabbagedad posted:
meads posted:

Welcome to the site, Meads.  You may consider holding off on the showcase aspect of that plan for a while.  If your son wasn't ready to play HS ball a year ago, he probably doesn't have enough yet to impress recruiters.   That money can most likely be better spent on instruction/training or maybe a nice weekend with him doing anything except baseball since he plays every day.  That time will come.  Just a thought.

Thank you. My son is more of a baseball player than what he was a year ago (its like night and day). Our Fall season, my son was turning heads. ERA was 2.48 and his FB tops at 76 now. In fact, the HS coach sent him a personal invite to a PBR showcase in a few weeks (this will be our first). He sent it out to only 3 freshman. The coach pairs my son at workouts with several Varsity players. I'm sure he will make one of the teams this year. I know he won't play Varsity for sure, but there is a slight chance he could make JV. Either way, I know he will give his all.

Budgeting and Baseball are my life. My son doesn't ask for anything and he tries to pay his own way with what money he earns or gets for his bday etc. He takes pitching lessons that he pays out of his own money. Last week he did a Pitching Camp at a college a few hours away.  He received good feedback. I told him we will take it slow and learn the ropes and then next year hit the showcases harder, when we know he will be more ready.

our tryouts begin Feb 4, with a vars tournament that starts Feb 7.  I think only last year's vars kids will be in the tournament. My senior started almost all games last year in OF, so I hope he's in decent shape to play this year.  My youngest ('22) is trying out for JV is which is typically Fr/Soph team. Fingers crossed.

meads posted:
cabbagedad posted:
meads posted:

Thank you. My son is more of a baseball player than what he was a year ago (its like night and day). Our Fall season, my son was turning heads. ERA was 2.48 and his FB tops at 76 now. In fact, the HS coach sent him a personal invite to a PBR showcase in a few weeks (this will be our first). He sent it out to only 3 freshman. The coach pairs my son at workouts with several Varsity players. I'm sure he will make one of the teams this year. I know he won't play Varsity for sure, but there is a slight chance he could make JV. Either way, I know he will give his all.

Budgeting and Baseball are my life. My son doesn't ask for anything and he tries to pay his own way with what money he earns or gets for his bday etc. He takes pitching lessons that he pays out of his own money. Last week he did a Pitching Camp at a college a few hours away.  He received good feedback. I told him we will take it slow and learn the ropes and then next year hit the showcases harder, when we know he will be more ready.

Meads, that's all very admirable and promising that he is on a good path.  But, please understand that showcases are, for the most part, for two things.  One is to showcase ready or near-ready skill set that is of enough interest that a recruiter will take note and begin communication with the player in the interest of possible recruitment.  The other is to make money for the organization running it.  Topping out at 76 (and having a slight chance of making HS JV) is nowhere near enough to generate true interest with regard to the first reason.  That puts you and your (or worse, his) money in the category of the second reason.  Like I said, there will come a time for that part of the equation.  It's just not yet unless you don't mind spending unnecessarily.  

I agree.  The only upside I see to doing one now is the shake off any nerves and get a feel for how showcases are run.  My son did his first summer after 8th grade and topped at 81.  He got a little write up, but no one called or started recruiting.  It was good for him to see that he could compete even as a rising freshman but in terms of recruiting, it didn't matter. He did his next showcases summer after freshman year, hit 87 and started getting a few calls.  

Qhead posted:
PlayWithEffort posted:

Tryouts are done.

It really depends in Texas on the school from what I see, but baseball season practices are rolling. If you play basketball and baseball, you're an odd combination. From my experience players do football and baseball all the time (sping/fall) but basketball and baseball is a rare breed. Since the practices overlap, to make most HS varsity teams and do both, you likely have to be a very talented baseball player. Not saying that's true everywhere, but at bigger schools, like last year 5A state champions, you likely wouldn't make the team if you played basketball.

New parent here with incoming Freshman trying out for JV. 21 kids trying out for 16 positions. We have all been fundraising for the JV spring trip since last summer, not knowing which of the kids will be cut. On top of that, they just posted the itinerary for the trip, which to me seems a bit in poor taste, since cuts aren’t till next month. Anyone have a similar experience with this?

KTCOTB posted:

New parent here with incoming Freshman trying out for JV. 21 kids trying out for 16 positions. We have all been fundraising for the JV spring trip since last summer, not knowing which of the kids will be cut. On top of that, they just posted the itinerary for the trip, which to me seems a bit in poor taste, since cuts aren’t till next month. Anyone have a similar experience with this?

Our booster club does fundraising starting in the fall but ensures that it's distributed fairly between freshman, JV and Varsity teams - not just for a specific purpose. Once the rosters are set, varsity players will be expected to individually fundraise to pay for the balance of a spring trip.

Last edited by BBMomAZ

Well this is a booster club, but players and parents of current and prospective players are ENCOURAGED to participate in the fundraisers which demands time, and considerable funds paid to the booster club. I just think it is incredibly unfair to the kids who do not make the team, to have to spend time and money for a team they won’t get a chance to play for. I know it’s a “risk” they all take, but to post the itinerary a month before tryouts is really rubbing the salt in the wound.

Daughter’s softball team has been fundraising for over a year for a V trip.  Needs to be done in order to have the time to raise enough money.  Sure, there's some risk, but they want to have the trip every few years, so, if you don't make V this year, you may get another chance.

I'm sure there are some families that wont /don’t put in the effort, but will gladly accept the offer and benefit from the hard work of others.  Don't be that person and complain its not fair, it sends the wrong message to your child IMO.

I Never complain about it in front of my kid, I know better, and I’m sure there are parents/kids who did not contribute but will benefit from it. We put in more than our fair share btw. My biggest problem is that they are getting these kids excited way before they should. It feels more like extortion than fundraising.

russinfortworth posted:
2019Dad posted:

First preseason national poll that I've seen:

http://baseballnews.com/colleg...all-hs-poll-1-25-19/

Looks like we get #1 before district starts.  Hopefully we'll have dried behind our ears by then.  Looking forward to a good season.  Good competition gets your ready for the playoffs.  

SA Reagan is in our first tournament. Pretty sure we will play them.  (Lost in state finals last year)

Last edited by Go44dad
2019Dad posted:

And PG's list:

https://www.perfectgame.org/Ar...w.aspx?article=16086

Looks like Argyle is the consensus #1, and will stay that way until they lose a game, and it's been awhile since they've done that.

Edited to add: between last season and recent scrimmages, my son has been fortunate to get starts against 4 of the top 25 teams in PG's rankings. These rankings are just fun, they don't mean anything, but it's cool to me to see some of the opponents he's faced on the list.

Last edited by 2019Dad

Ironically, weather is putting a big question mark on the start of the season here in California.  Lots of rain and more coming.  First year away from coaching in a long time, I though I'd miss it a lot.  In some strange way, this kinda helps.  Still anxious to follow our boys though.

Also, some of our assistants have advanced to take the head spots at neighboring schools and I am looking forward to seeing them continue to grow and manage their own programs, both against each other and in general... mostly against each other   

2019Dad posted:
2019Dad posted:

And PG's list:

https://www.perfectgame.org/Ar...w.aspx?article=16086

Looks like Argyle is the consensus #1, and will stay that way until they lose a game, and it's been awhile since they've done that.

Edited to add: between last season and recent scrimmages, my son has been fortunate to get starts against 4 of the top 25 teams in PG's rankings. These rankings are just fun, they don't mean anything, but it's cool to me to see some of the opponents he's faced on the list.

What is really amazing about Argyle is it's enrollment is 800-900 kids/class 4A in Texas (goes up to 6A).  They place well in about an extracurricular they do, sports, band, theater etc.  I don't know anything about the school other than that. Maybe Russinfortworth knows some about it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.