Skip to main content

Go44dad posted:
2019Dad posted:
2019Dad posted:

First preseason national poll that I've seen:

http://baseballnews.com/colleg...all-hs-poll-1-25-19/

And PG's list:

https://www.perfectgame.org/Ar...w.aspx?article=16086

Looks like Argyle is the consensus #1, and will stay that way until they lose a game, and it's been awhile since they've done that.

Edited to add: between last season and recent scrimmages, my son has been fortunate to get starts against 4 of the top 25 teams in PG's rankings. These rankings are just fun, they don't mean anything, but it's cool to me to see some of the opponents he's faced on the list.

What is really amazing about Argyle is it's enrollment is 800-900 kids/class 4A in Texas (goes up to 6A).  They place well in about an extracurricular they do, sports, band, theater etc.  I don't know anything about the school other than that. Maybe Russinfortworth knows some about it.

Saw Argyle in the state tournament last year and they have an excellent HS baseball squad with a lot of returnees for 2019.  However,  they would not qualify for the state tournament at the 6A level in Texas much less win it.  I am sure they have and will 1-off some  6A teams in the preseason tournaments but that is much different than playing a 6A district schedule and winning multiple rounds of 2 outta 3 during the playoffs.  They are not nearly as talented as the Southlake Carroll, Cy Ranch, The Woodlands and Lake Travis's of this years Texas HS baseball world... Great for them to be ranked preseason #1 but really think Cy Ranch or Lake Travis is the best team in Texas this year and should receive that national notoriety.... 

1st varsity scrimmage today.  Supposed to be in the mid 70's at 5pm (and it doesn't have to change the rest of the year).

Freshman boy will be alternating in CF and LF and batting 6th I think.  

Seems like yesterday he was doing this.

Good luck to everyone this year.  Hope everyone has an injury free year, their boys play to the best of their ability, and they enjoy their time on the field.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_1721

Ranking HS baseball across the wide spectrum of variables of competitive levels, leagues, etc., I always thought was an impossible task.  I am actually amazed at how well the MaxPreps formula works.  By late season to playoff time, they are pretty darn well dialed.  I  can't speak to pre-season player ratings.

Alanj posted:

I have a question for y'all.  When you son or daughter tries out are they only told if they made varsity.  Or are they told they made varsity or JV or freshman or are cut?  

For us, the boys are told V, JV1 or JV2 (don't have enough for a full freshman only team, so they have two "JV" teams).  That being said, the HC treats the JV1 kind of like a minor league team and can call up and send down a player here and there as needed.  But they are told after tryouts what team they have "made" or been assigned to if you will. 

Thanks for the replies.  The coach waited until the real scrimmage then gave out varsity jerseys.  Son did not get one.  Ok not a problem.  Went to game and son was required to sit on the dugout while varsity warmed up.  When they were done he was sent up into the stands to sit and watch game.  No idea if he is JV or freshman or cut.  Just limbo.  I am totally confused.

At son’s high school, the first team that is announced (posted on our website) is the freshmen squad. The V/JV players are announced as well but the rosters (who made which team) isn’t announced until after a week of intersquad games and our Red/Black World Series. 

The head coach will explain (to any kid who is interested in hearing) why they didn’t make the team, what they need to improve upon, etc. I said any because not every kid is interested in the why so he doesn’t force a conversation. 

Alanj posted:

Thanks for the replies.  The coach waited until the real scrimmage then gave out varsity jerseys.  Son did not get one.  Ok not a problem.  Went to game and son was required to sit on the dugout while varsity warmed up.  When they were done he was sent up into the stands to sit and watch game.  No idea if he is JV or freshman or cut.  Just limbo.  I am totally confused.

ok that is really weird - never seen a player "sent up into the stands" from the dugout?  Your son may need to be direct here and just ask the HC what team am I on.

Alanj posted:

That sounds awful...it surprises me the coaching staff can be that clueless or ice cold.   

meads posted:

My boy is currently trying out for his Freshman team and cuts were supposed to be announced last night...(oh my nerves, LOL) well they have been extended to Saturday. My son said the coach needs to see more!

You've been saying that the coach requested that your son go to showcases, that he performed well at the showcase....................and you're worried about your son making the freshman team?  Must be a pretty powerhouse program.

russinfortworth posted:
meads posted:

My boy is currently trying out for his Freshman team and cuts were supposed to be announced last night...(oh my nerves, LOL) well they have been extended to Saturday. My son said the coach needs to see more!

You've been saying that the coach requested that your son go to showcases, that he performed well at the showcase....................and you're worried about your son making the freshman team?  Must be a pretty powerhouse program.

I do worry because nothing is a guarantee. The community we live in is very political and wealthy and last year I saw a kid who was very slow and not very motivated make the freshman team as an 8th grader when my son did not, only to find out later that kid's parents donate a lot of money to the boosters - now that being said...I would like to think that a coach, like the one we have, would choose kids who will win titles for the school and not just bring in money, but money helps programs grow and besides, maybe the coach saw something in that boy that we did not see  So, even though this coach has been working with my son, having him practice with the varsity boys, invited him to the showcase, I still told my son to work his hardest and take nothing for granted.

meads posted:
russinfortworth posted:
meads posted:

I do worry because nothing is a guarantee. The community we live in is very political and wealthy and last year I saw a kid who was very slow and not very motivated make the freshman team as an 8th grader when my son did not, only to find out later that kid's parents donate a lot of money to the boosters - now that being said...I would like to think that a coach, like the one we have, would choose kids who will win titles for the school and not just bring in money, but money helps programs grow and besides, maybe the coach saw something in that boy that we did not see  So, even though this coach has been working with my son, having him practice with the varsity boys, invited him to the showcase, I still told my son to work his hardest and take nothing for granted.

My son made the freshman team with the possibility of playing some games with JV this year! 🎉 Now the work begins ( not like it ever stopped) but he has to work hard to earn a spot on that field!! 

Do you notice a theme to those teams on the top 25 USA list.....the number of "transfers" coming in to help the team?   I guess folks are moving to these hotbeds of high school baseball so their sons can play at a top level school?   I have no problem with that.  Parents are fortunate that their jobs allow this.  Personally I think they should separate out the private schools who can recruit and the academies  (IMG) from the public school rankings.  

stayfocused posted:

...Personally I think they should separate out the private schools who can recruit and the academies  (IMG) from the public school rankings.  

I think this is a common thought process and one that I have had on the surface in the past as well.  The problem is, for so many areas, this would create a significant travel logistics issue as there are not an abundance of similarly competitive privates.  So the privates would have to travel a great deal more and the pool of opponents for the publics gets further shrunk as well.  I think the key is to try to keep them properly slotted from a competitive standpoint and ignore enrollment numbers.  our particular area has done a fairly decent job with this in recent years with frequent realignment by sport.

Tryouts ended for us. Today my freshmen son was told he's on the team. But, he wasn't given a designation. He was told to suit up every game and he would be told then which game to play in...freshmen, JV or Varsity. So, he didn't make any team but he's on all three teams. I guess they are waiting to see how he does in games?

stayfocused posted:

Do you notice a theme to those teams on the top 25 USA list.....the number of "transfers" coming in to help the team?   I guess folks are moving to these hotbeds of high school baseball so their sons can play at a top level school?   I have no problem with that.  Parents are fortunate that their jobs allow this.  Personally I think they should separate out the private schools who can recruit and the academies  (IMG) from the public school rankings.  

The two Texas teams in the top 5 are public schools.  I can't see anyone just up and moving to Argyle, and Lake Travis doesn't have any transfer players.  Colleyville is listed too and I don't think they have a lot of transfers.  IMG is its own animal. It is basically college in terms of tuition, recruiting and talented players.

Francis7 posted:

Tryouts ended for us. Today my freshmen son was told he's on the team. But, he wasn't given a designation. He was told to suit up every game and he would be told then which game to play in...freshmen, JV or Varsity. So, he didn't make any team but he's on all three teams. I guess they are waiting to see how he does in games?

Francis, I think there is a non-zero possibility that the coaches have followed your posts here, or got your number in person, and have decided to mess with your head.

Your son will be okay.  Enjoy.

JCG posted:
Francis7 posted:

Francis, I think there is a non-zero possibility that the coaches have followed your posts here, or got your number in person, and have decided to mess with your head.

Your son will be okay.  Enjoy.

I agree your son will be okay — but honestly, coaches just need to see how it goes. My son pitched varsity as a freshman and played third with the freshman team. Worked out fine except for the day he played third in 90+ head for two games during the day and then was asked to pitched varsity that night — in a substate game. That didn't go well at all.

But that's where the coaches needed him, so that's where he went.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.