Skip to main content

meads posted:

So many HS teams have already started playing. When does your season begin? Our boys don't start until 3rd week of March so long as the weather cooperates here in Kentucky!

The baseball season at the county HS begins 3/11/2019.   Today's scrimmage is cancelled.  From what I can tell it was the only scrimmage scheduled.   Usually there is two scrimmages scheduled, but at least once in recent history neither was played due to weather.

Son graduated in 2012, but I try to make a game or two during the season.

baseballhs posted:

We’ve played 15 games including scrimmages. 

You have already played 15 games!  Wow, what part of the country are you in, Florida My son is on the freshman team and has 27 games scheduled not counting regionals, semi-finals and finals. I believe our Varsity has 36 on the schedule. Excited for the season to begin!

Son’s team is 2-0, with one rainout and a couple preseason games. 

He seems to be struggling a bit at the plate facing higher velocities than he has ever seen. He’s a freshman starting on the V, I think he’s going to be fine once he gets settled in and adjusted. 

He did throw 3 scoreless in one of the preseason games. 

We’re so used to seeing him out there playing with and against guys his age, now he looks a little small at 6’2”/180. 

My kid finally had his tryouts on Tuesday and Wednesday. All indoors. He did some throw downs on Tuesday and ran a 30. Did well on both. Wednesday he caught bullpens and did some hitting in the cages. They had a jugs cranked up about 40 ft away. He told me he lit it up and ripped all 10 they gave him and he was the only one to do it. He was really grateful for all the machine and probatter + hittrax sessions over the winter. His tryouts continue on Sat on the field. Hopefully the weather cooperates this time.

Francis7 posted:

First varsity scrimmage today. Rostering 19 including 3 sophomores and 2 freshmen...one of which is my kid. He's the only one of the 5 who is not a pitcher. I'm starting to wonder if it's too much pressure for a kid who is still 2 months away from 15.

Enjoy the game even if he doesn't see the field and let him perform, you might be surprised. My son goes to a small charter school and he and 6 other 8th graders were varsity starters. First game he every played having to swing a -3 bat he went 3-4 with a double! He's a Junior now and all that experience was valuable when they're playing 5A schools in tournaments. 

Don't worry about it!  He'll do fine.  Even if he doesn't, he'll be fine.

I'll tell you about 3 of the frosh I watched play at my kid's HS.

#1 - 4 year starter. Great career. Now playing P5 and expected to be a 1st round draft choice in a few months.

#2 - (my kid) spent frosh year mostly on V bench. But did well when he subbed in for mop-in innings, and when used as a defensive replacement in late innings.  Became a 3 year starter, had a great career. Now playing D3.

#4 - Had his chances as a freshman but pretty much pooped the bed every time he did.   Struggled some soph year too, but became a 2 year starter, had a great career. Accepted a D2 scholly but dropped down to Juco hoping to get to D1.

They all did fine.  Yours will too.

Last edited by JCG
Francis7 posted:

Thx guys. I'm just feeling it for him today because he's pacing around like a caged tiger, waiting for report time. I hope once he's at the field the feeling of normalcy kicks in.

My son is a college freshman who pitched last weekend on varsity. After the first inning he stalked off the field looking like he was ready to plow through concrete walls. A coach told him the next day "dude, you high fived me so hard last night — I feel like we really bonded."

My son has no recollection of it.

Normal is a relative state for the athletes. It's worse thinking about it than doing it.

Tryouts were forced indoors because of rain. Five varsity games rained out so far—more rained out than actually played (and two games were played in the rain). Odds are none will be rescheduled (not conference games and teams would have to travel pretty far).  The handful of games so far have been fun to watch and son’s team has played well. But man, it has been a wet winter.  

My kid made his frosh team. They had tryouts for barely a week due to weather and winter sports and it ended on Monday with roster announcements. They played scrimmages against a couple of local HS JV teams the past 2 days. They kept the roster to 18 and son told me they had to cut a few good players as the talent was really good (2000 boys HS). He played OF, C and 1st (he has played that since 6th grade) and the coach told him he would be playing utility. He has been hitting very well so they are keeping in the line up.

2022NYC posted:

My kid made his frosh team. They had tryouts for barely a week due to weather and winter sports and it ended on Monday with roster announcements. They played scrimmages against a couple of local HS JV teams the past 2 days. They kept the roster to 18 and son told me they had to cut a few good players as the talent was really good (2000 boys HS). He played OF, C and 1st (he has played that since 6th grade) and the coach told him he would be playing utility. He has been hitting very well so they are keeping in the line up.

Awesome!  Enjoy it, it passes quickly.

We are a few scrimmages into the season. my 2020 is on V, team looks good. He's pitched a few innings against good competition. Did fine, I think 3IP 1H, 0BB, 6K. This time of year pitchers seem to have the advantage.

My 2022 is on JV, huge roster. V has a game every day next week (if it doesn't rain/snow) they are talking about bringing him up to V for the week to eat some innings on the mound. Don't want him to stay there, otherwise he'll likely not get in the field. We'll see.

15-2-1 to start the season. One of the losses was to Argyle (top 10 team in nation) in 8 innings 5-4.  Ranked in the top 10 of both Texas 5A (second largest schools) polls.

Freshman son is 4-0-1 to start the year on the bump  (didn't know he was going to be a pitcher).  He has played LF/CF/SS, but has settled into CF I believe.

Hitting pretty well (.375) with obp above .600 with about 15 RBI's, Runs, and SB.

Team is trying to find it's way and figure things out.

1st game of District was on Tuesday, which we scratched out.  Will start seeing really good pitching the remainder of the year.  

Good luck to everyone else.

Last edited by russinfortworth

This photo came up as a Facebook Memory from 2015 this morning.

What a beautiful day for baseball!

I looked it up on Maxpreps.  This was a Saturday, non-league game.  It was a tight 2-2 contest until the bottom of the 5th when our guys scored 4 and went on to win 7-2. My son was 1 for 4 with 2K's, a run, and an RBI.

ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS, FOLKS!

Attachments

Images (1)

I think my freshman son got his answer today.

After tryouts, he was told to be prepared to play anywhere. But, he always ended up with the varsity kids. That was a good sign...but, you never assume anything.

Today, they handed out uniforms. Coach told the kids that some would be going back and forth between JV and Varsity...so, be sure to take one of each uniform.

My son took a varsity uniform. And, when he went to get a JV one, the coach said "What are you doing? Sit back down."

Pretty cool.

So here's a question for the group.  Uniforms were given out. Home and away jerseys. But, different numbers on each. From what I've heard, it's been that way for a while. My guess is that they are recycling unis from past years and the sizes don't synch up with the numbers and kids are just grabbing shirts that fit. Is this a pretty common thing for HS ball? For the record, this is the varsity team.

Francis7 posted:

So here's a question for the group.  Uniforms were given out. Home and away jerseys. But, different numbers on each. From what I've heard, it's been that way for a while. My guess is that they are recycling unis from past years and the sizes don't synch up with the numbers and kids are just grabbing shirts that fit. Is this a pretty common thing for HS ball? For the record, this is the varsity team.

It’s not common but it happens.  As the announcer at our school’s home games I can tell you that it can be  a big pain in the butt. 

Francis7 posted:

Haven't seen it here.  Seems like that would be less than ideal if college coaches happen to see a game.  None of the recruiting sites I'm familiar with allow kids to list separate home and away jersey numbers,

Francis7 posted:

I think my freshman son got his answer today.

After tryouts, he was told to be prepared to play anywhere. But, he always ended up with the varsity kids. That was a good sign...but, you never assume anything.

Today, they handed out uniforms. Coach told the kids that some would be going back and forth between JV and Varsity...so, be sure to take one of each uniform.

My son took a varsity uniform. And, when he went to get a JV one, the coach said "What are you doing? Sit back down."

Pretty cool.

Nice Francis!  Now, let him enjoy HS before you start planning his retirement years 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.