Skip to main content

Go44dad posted:

Playoff time in Texas.  Team tied one and lost two in first three games of season.  Then went 23-1.  Is currently ranked #10 in Texas by Texas High School Baseball.  Tied for district championship at 13-1.  Other than top two teams, district is about average,  Son pitched 54 innings, gave up 3 ER's, 77 strikeouts.  He did take 2 of their 3 losses. Also hit 3-hole for the season.  A few weeks back he was at .500, probably just at that as regular season wrapped up.  

Team is in Texas 6A class.  Largest class in Texas. There are four regions.  Playoffs within Region are usually a best of 3.  Win the region, it becomes a single elim for the final two steps.

Here's to 12 in a row!

reg 3

Won two straight to win our first series.  Son pitched first game, won 7-1.  CG 6H 1ER / 2-4 w 2RBI's at plate. We won second game 3-1.  1-3 at plate.  Son and second starter only two kids to pitch.

meads posted:

A bit discouraged here as I am realizing that Freshman ball doesn't really matter and its all nothing but a way for Varsity coaches to scope out who they have coming up for JV and Varsity next year and in the coming years- that's fine and all, but the Freshman team were doing well this year with a record of 10-4 then the coaches started messing with who they put where and even put some kids in to play who have been on the DL list most of the season (don't get me wrong, they deserve to get some play time as well) but a PO the coaches put at 2B and in 1 game; the kid cost us literally 12 runs in the 1st inning ( so not exaggerating this)

Our record now is 10-10. Just like that! My son is playing better over all, but just frustrated with some of the attitudes in the dugout- he knows to keep his mouth shut and just DO HIS JOB!

Saturdays game was an absolute nightmare- the way they played as a team, I have seen 11U teams who played better- fly balls dropped with 3 guys watching the ball, one ball FO to 1st, no one catches it, no one touches it- if they would have just picked it up and touched 1st base, that would have been an easy out- instead the batter was safe and they scored a run

After games, in the car, with windows rolled up is our time to vent, recall events that occurred during the game and bad mouth some of the players and review what he did in the game. He is very hard on himself and we discuss what he did, what he could have done instead and what he will do next time.

I dare not say anything to the coaches, I do know that the head varsity coach is in charge of making up a list of who plays where and when they hit and the freshman coaches make tweaks along the way- but I just want to scream WHY!!!!

A counterpoint from my end.  No players on Senna Jr's team were self-declared POs. A solid 1/3 of the team rode the bench for 3/4 of the year (majority of appearances for a few were as courtesy/pinch runners). I would have loved to see them get in the games much more often just to get a real look at their ability and let them get to work in a game situation. I watched a lot of players who couldn't get it done on the field time and again continue to get starting spots while other players who were just as good if not better rode the pine. Was frustrating to see, especially as this should be all about development and seeing who can make it happen in game (not in the cages or during practice). Senna Jr started or played in nearly all games, so this isn't about him. 

Senna posted:
meads posted:

A bit discouraged here as I am realizing that Freshman ball doesn't really matter and its all nothing but a way for Varsity coaches to scope out who they have coming up for JV and Varsity next year and in the coming years- that's fine and all, but the Freshman team were doing well this year with a record of 10-4 then the coaches started messing with who they put where and even put some kids in to play who have been on the DL list most of the season (don't get me wrong, they deserve to get some play time as well) but a PO the coaches put at 2B and in 1 game; the kid cost us literally 12 runs in the 1st inning ( so not exaggerating this)

Our record now is 10-10. Just like that! My son is playing better over all, but just frustrated with some of the attitudes in the dugout- he knows to keep his mouth shut and just DO HIS JOB!

Saturdays game was an absolute nightmare- the way they played as a team, I have seen 11U teams who played better- fly balls dropped with 3 guys watching the ball, one ball FO to 1st, no one catches it, no one touches it- if they would have just picked it up and touched 1st base, that would have been an easy out- instead the batter was safe and they scored a run

After games, in the car, with windows rolled up is our time to vent, recall events that occurred during the game and bad mouth some of the players and review what he did in the game. He is very hard on himself and we discuss what he did, what he could have done instead and what he will do next time.

I dare not say anything to the coaches, I do know that the head varsity coach is in charge of making up a list of who plays where and when they hit and the freshman coaches make tweaks along the way- but I just want to scream WHY!!!!

A counterpoint from my end.  No players on Senna Jr's team were self-declared POs. A solid 1/3 of the team rode the bench for 3/4 of the year (majority of appearances for a few were as courtesy/pinch runners). I would have loved to see them get in the games much more often just to get a real look at their ability and let them get to work in a game situation. I watched a lot of players who couldn't get it done on the field time and again continue to get starting spots while other players who were just as good if not better rode the pine. Was frustrating to see, especially as this should be all about development and seeing who can make it happen in game (not in the cages or during practice). Senna Jr started or played in nearly all games, so this isn't about him. 

A lot of boys from our Summer team are seeing the same issues on their school teams and can't wait for summer ball to start. I am excited to see how much my son has pushed to show the coaches he means business and how hard he works and when he plays, he knows he has earned that spot and to DO HIS JOB whether its the whole game or an inning.

We both get frustrated when the "elite starters" make error after error and cry like babies, but it also makes us laugh- as their season comes to a close (Thursday they start regionals and it will all be in the books by next Wednesday) he looks forward not only to Summer ball but also to playing JV and hopefully some Varsity next Spring! I don't see a couple of the boys making the JV team next year unless over the summer they really work hard and improve (a lot)!

(As to the PO, our coaches gave DH, PO and PR spots to 4 kids who were told they didn't make the team but would offer them a spot if they accept this only position)

State tournament starts tomorrow in Hawaii.  2019's team is the #2 seed. The bracket isn't nearly as impressive as the big dogs of Texas and California, but as Jack Handy says, 

"I hope if dogs take over the world, and they choose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Son's last game was semi's in AAAAAA playoffs. Lost lost to eventual runner up. I heard through the grapevine from another coach that no one understood how we didn't win back to back titles with our group. I scratch  my head on that one too. Enjoy the next chapter/s, ours have flown by and we are hanging on while the ride is still going!

Son's 38 inning scoreless streak came to an end yesterday.  I'm pretty bummed (naturally, much more than my son who I'm not sure knew how long it was), as it came in an unexpected relief appearance, which he hasn't done in over a year.  As a starter, he has a typical pre-game routine, which you can't do when relieving.  Not only that, but now he can't make his scheduled start on Friday.  Think the coach panicked a little yesterday and didn't want the W to slip away.

I knew the streak would end eventually, but would have preferred it happen in one of his starts.  Oh well, continued focus on staying healthy and making a run at states... 

CTbballDad posted:

Son's 38 inning scoreless streak came to an end yesterday.  I'm pretty bummed (naturally, much more than my son who I'm not sure knew how long it was), as it came in an unexpected relief appearance, which he hasn't done in over a year.  As a starter, he has a typical pre-game routine, which you can't do when relieving.  Not only that, but now he can't make his scheduled start on Friday.  Think the coach panicked a little yesterday and didn't want the W to slip away.

I knew the streak would end eventually, but would have preferred it happen in one of his starts.  Oh well, continued focus on staying healthy and making a run at states... 

That's awesome!

My son is also a starter pitcher (freshman) but sometimes goes in as relief. He is definitely not our fastest pitcher but the most consistent. (His FB tops out at 72) He has faced 91 batters and only allowed 12 hits and 2 earned runs this season. His ERA is 1.08 He threw a no hitter last month. The next closest pitcher to him has an ERA of  3.98

2022 playing varsity just wrapped up the regular season.  Had a good year at the plate (but got a good dose of mid-80s fastballs and senior curve balls too), got a couple of saves and one start on the bump, and played SS regularly.  Good start to his high school career.  Playoffs and then on to travel ball tourneys starting the first weekend in June.  Love having this time with him.

My son's varsity team is playing in the 6A Arizona State Championship game next week! It's been 10 years since they last made it that far. Had to play an extra elimination game to make it to semi finals so boys are a bit worn down and pitching is getting tight 🤪. Pretty sure they can go all the way on pure adrenalin and smart small ball though!

Last edited by BBMomAZ
Go44dad posted:

Amid days of rain, flood, delays and cancellations, son's team was able to find a turf field and get in a double header in round 2 of the Texas 6A playoffs.  Won both.  Son pitched complete game for one of the wins.  Moving on to the third round, with hopefully better weather.

222 bracket

Same up north for us in 5A.  Won both (not as pretty or as easy as we'd like), but like coach says, "we get to practice on Monday, they don't".

Russinfortworth, we have won 26 of last 27 games. If you listen to us parents talk, the school may never win another game in our lifetime. 

The kids have played well. Won our series in a doubleheader fri. No errors, one baserunner picked off, several double plays for the day, cut offs hit, bunts put down. 

Chihuahua barking here. There's joy in Honolulu-ville tonight, as son's team won state championship. He was 5/13 for the league and state tournaments, got the game winning hit in the league tournament final, and kept things going with a single during a big rally in the State Championship game.  What a long, exhausting journey his team had. Totally worth it.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by smokeminside

With all the rain, still playing out the season. 2020 on V has 3 games remaining. Should finish in 1st or 3rd place. Then there is a seeding tournament, then playoffs. Could go to til second week of June.

2022 on JV thew a perfect game Friday night (7IP, 13K, 92P). Had 3 3-0 counts, including last batter of the game. They may move him up to varsity for the playoffs.  JV team will finish around 5 or 6th in the league before playoffs.

My frosh kid's team will start playoffs this weekend. They only missed a few games due to crappy weather and it turned out to be a very good team with only a couple of 1 or 2 run losses against strong JV teams. The kid did very well with some gaudy numbers but I was most impressed he was able to get hits in the games with really good pitchers. He batted in the middle of the line up did a lot of DH which he was fine with. The frosh playoffs is very short as there are only a few frosh teams. It looks like his team is in the finals and will play a 3 games series with a single game followed by a double header the next day.

2022NYC posted:

My frosh kid's team will start playoffs this weekend. They only missed a few games due to crappy weather and it turned out to be a very good team with only a couple of 1 or 2 run losses against strong JV teams. The kid did very well with some gaudy numbers but I was most impressed he was able to get hits in the games with really good pitchers. He batted in the middle of the line up did a lot of DH which he was fine with. The frosh playoffs is very short as there are only a few frosh teams. It looks like his team is in the finals and will play a 3 games series with a single game followed by a double header the next day.

Is your son in the PSAL or CHSAA?

Iowamom23 posted:
GameDayToday posted:

Meanwhile, in Iowa, the regular season starts next week.

Just in time for all the parents who spent last weekend huddled in our parkas at college games to break out the suntan lotion for when it hits the upper 80s this weekend when we go watch "spring" HS games. Gotta love it. Don't we?

You guys have a sense of humor. I guess you need one. 

BBMomAZ posted:

My son's varsity team is playing in the 6A Arizona State Championship game next week! It's been 10 years since they last made it that far. Had to play an extra elimination game to make it to semi finals so boys are a bit worn down and pitching is getting tight 🤪. Pretty sure they can go all the way on pure adrenalin and smart small ball though!

We came up short in the Championship but had a great season nonetheless. My son (2020 RHP) was selected to play on the Arizona team at the Junior Sunbelt Classic in Oklahoma. Should be a fun experience as they stay with local host families for the week!

Last edited by BBMomAZ
BBMomAZ posted:
BBMomAZ posted:

We came up short in the Championship but had a great season nonetheless. My son (2020 RHP) was selected to play on the Arizona team at the Junior Sunbelt Classic in Oklahoma. Should be a fun experience as they stay with local host families for the week!

How exciting for him! Good luck

Still alive, still kicking in region 3.  Stands have filled up.  Student sections screaming at opposing players about how easy their girlfriend was.  Pressure has picked up.  Both teams wobbled a bit.  Won rubber game 5-4 in last inning.  Bases loaded in bottom of 7th.  Cracked line drive to the RF wall.  RF runs it down for the win.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1129926276100296704

Winner of region advances to state playoffs.

222 bracket

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 222 bracket
russinfortworth posted:

Lost game 1 of series on Thursday night 3-0. 

"Our" (give the wife credit) freshman pitched last night 7IP 1H 8K 2BB 1HBP 0 runs. 

We win 2-0 and wait out the weather today for game 3.  

Lost game number 3 by a score of 5-4 in 8 innings.  Scored 2 in the top of 7 to tie it, but left runners on 2/3 with 1 out in the same inning.   Good year for a Freshman on varsity who really isn't a pitcher but ended with decent record (10-0-1 with a 2.3 ERA).  Played CF (and occasionally SS) while hitting 380 with an OBP of 505.  All for a team that was ranked in the top 10 in state 2nd highest division for much of the year.  Exceeded any expectations that I had.  

On to the summer where he can roam CF for a very good 15U team while us Dad's discuss the HS season, visit many hotels and restaurants, and hope our wives don't spend too much during the down time .  

Good luck to those still in the playoffs and hope everyone has a healthy, productive summer season.

Last edited by russinfortworth

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.