Skip to main content

What's everybody feel about this trade. I like it in that the Reds should be exciting at least for the short term. 

I have to believe there are more moves to come, they cannot keep all those Outfielders can they? If they do I would believe Winker would be the odd man out.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is hard to see how Reds won't be better in 2019 than they have been.  Kemp is a professional baseball player and Puig while inconsistent is still a better player than what the Reds had.  Who knows with a permanent job and a bit more consistency he might evolve into a really good everyday pro like Kemp.  Woods is definitely a cut above Bailey.

The bigger question in my mind is this - Are the Reds any better than 4th in the division?  I'd think not in 2019 or even '20 or '21 either.  If they get a chance to unload these guys or even Votto in July for high end prospects they need to consider the option of blowing it up all together. 

Last edited by luv baseball

Doesn't make sense for the Reds to me unless there is another corresponding move, like flipping Puig and Wood for an ace (Kluber or Bauer?)  They need to build with impact pitching first.  Dodgers could turn this into $ for another top end rotation piece and there is talk of Kluber but the Indians need a strong OF or closer in return, so again it would take multiple moves, I think.

It's good for both teams. The Dodgers don't get weaker since Bellinger and Hernandez can play multiple OF positions, and they unload 30 mil in salary. 

The Reds get 3 starters and if they can add some pitching, they might put a decent product on the field. Kemp, Puig, Votto, Gennet is already half the lineup. It could be much worse. Yes they're in a rebuild, but they didn't give anything up really. The way I see it, they just added Kemp and Wood for their salaries. Dodgers sent 7 mill which covers Puig's contract. 

PABaseball posted:

It's good for both teams. The Dodgers don't get weaker since Bellinger and Hernandez can play multiple OF positions, and they unload 30 mil in salary. 

The Reds get 3 starters and if they can add some pitching, they might put a decent product on the field. Kemp, Puig, Votto, Gennet is already half the lineup. It could be much worse. Yes they're in a rebuild, but they didn't give anything up really. The way I see it, they just added Kemp and Wood for their salaries. Dodgers sent 7 mill which covers Puig's contract. 

Kemp and Homer were going to make the same money....so that's just a no-brainer.  Wood isn't ridiculously expensive and if the Dodgers are covering Puig I don't see how this trade could be considered anything but a home run for the Reds....even if it's only for one year.  Yes, they still need at least one top level starter, but at least with Kemp and Puig they should be able to put some runs on the scoreboard.  Reds fans haven't had 3 big name guys (Votto, Kemp and Puig) on the field at the same time for quite a while.  Might actually have some games with the stadium over half full

Reds scored pretty near league average for runs in 2018.  Problem was on the mound.  They should have more pop as currently made up - but probably are still way off on the pitching compared to the league.  This has the look of a team looking to make it more interesting to fans and have the possibility of deadline deals in July if it doesn't work.

As noted on dollars and players it looks low risk and possible good upside for the Reds.  Can't really blame them for taking a swing based on the last few seasons.

luv baseball posted:

Reds scored pretty near league average for runs in 2018.  Problem was on the mound.  They should have more pop as currently made up - but probably are still way off on the pitching compared to the league.  This has the look of a team looking to make it more interesting to fans and have the possibility of deadline deals in July if it doesn't work.

As noted on dollars and players it looks low risk and possible good upside for the Reds.  Can't really blame them for taking a swing based on the last few seasons.

As currently constructed yes. However, as Buckeye2015 said, there seems more to come. They have talked to Grandhal, and are rumored to be in on realmuto. If there looking at catchers it may be that they may have a team that has interest in Barnhart. A team still looking to contend while cutting payroll. Barnhart has a team friendly contract. Plus they still have valuable prospects.

So I believe pitching is still on the way. Who is looking for catching, looking to dump some payroll? And has some top flight pitching?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.