Skip to main content

I’ve been lurking around reading so many amazing post! I cried at some, I smiled, I learned, I’ve become humble!

What I wanted to say was thank you all for all the info! I am a baseball mom to a obsessive baseball 11 1/2 year old! I came here to learn, so I can connect more with my only boy!

When I get way too excited, frustrated, big head 😐, angry, happy, I read the post, then - I get humbled and stop! I remind myself to just enjoy the long journey!  

Thank you all for this! I’ve gotten over my Facebook obsession and got into a HS baseball obsession.  Lol. More healthy I guess! 

The Number 1 lesson for me that I’ve learned from reading all the post was to chill and enjoy the ride! 

2. Get through the 3 G’s lol! Girls, grass, gas! 

3. Puberty changes everything! 

4. Have FUN! ........

Thank you to everyone! 

Last edited by NY
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

NY - one thing that I have learned that I will pass on...

My son is a 2022.  I introduced him to baseball when he was little.  Did T-ball at 6.  Started travel at 8.  Was in Little League from 6 to 12, and I was often his manager or coach.  (Like 99% of the time.)  I steered him away from the local community travel program run by volunteer dads and towards academy teams that I had vetted through research.  This is all a path that I am sure many would say mirrors their situation as well.

Then, around 13U, I started to move further away.  Now, at 15U, all I do is write checks and chauffeur him around.  He's taken full control of his baseball journey.  It's HIS decision and HIS obsession.  He has set HIS goals.  He pushes himself.  Literally, there are weeks in the off-season where he's training 5 or 6 days a week.  It's his call.  He wants to chase after it.  Once in a while, my wife and I will tell him "No, you need a day off.  You can't train 5 days in a row" (or something like that).  But, otherwise, we let him do his thing because...it is his thing.

Your's is 11 1/2?  You've got some time.  But, not as much as you may think.  That teenager/puberty thing is coming soon.  If he really has the baseball bug, he will be ready to start taking off on his own around 13U.  When it happens, don't panic and don't fight it.  

It's all good.

2022OFDad posted:

Francis, you sure about that? Not throwing shade, but by your posting history I would say you are pretty obsessed (like many of us, including myself).

Oh, I'm INTO IT.  But, that's just for me in my own world.  I'll talk to you guys about it.  And, I will talk to my "real people" friends who are into it.  But, I keep it away from the kid.  I'm able to keep church and state apart.  

NY,

Welcome! Well done, you are off to a great start! I will chip in a suggestion:

The ride home from games shall not consist of a critical autopsy of his play, good or bad. No bashing of coaches, other players, umpires etc. Silence from Mom, Dad, Uncle Joe or Grandpa until he brings it up (and he will). Talk about ice cream.

Great days ahead! Enjoy.

Francis7 posted:
2022OFDad posted:

Francis, you sure about that? Not throwing shade, but by your posting history I would say you are pretty obsessed (like many of us, including myself).

Oh, I'm INTO IT.  But, that's just for me in my own world.  I'll talk to you guys about it.  And, I will talk to my "real people" friends who are into it.  But, I keep it away from the kid.  I'm able to keep church and state apart.  

Well, you’re a more judicious person than me then...

NY, welcome to HSBaseballWeb!  Glad that you have found it useful at the start of your journey.  I believe that it will be even more so over time.  You will be amazed at the amount of insight + wisdom that is shared.  Early advice I received:  tell your son when you get to the field that you love him, to play hard + to have fun!

NY, welcome, enjoy and feel free to add your 2 cents.  I "stumbled" onto this site late, after my son was playing in college.  For us his baseball journey from 5/6 yr old - 18 yr old, gave us the ideal opportunity for memorable family times.  Those long car drives made us have meaningful conversations with my kids, some good and not so good.  No distractions, no way to escape!  Family bonding, made it worth every dollar and time spent.

This is my son's senior year in Highschool he signed his NLI in November and it seems like last week he was 12, take lots of pictures and try to enjoy every moment it will be hard this game is a family endeavor it takes everyone! Oh and welcome to the family and it is a family we fuss, we love and we usually have the best of intentions!

Steve A. posted:

NY,

Welcome! Well done, you are off to a great start! I will chip in a suggestion:

The ride home from games shall not consist of a critical autopsy of his play, good or bad. No bashing of coaches, other players, umpires etc. Silence from Mom, Dad, Uncle Joe or Grandpa until he brings it up (and he will). Talk about ice cream.

Great days ahead! Enjoy.

I’ve always felt kids would have more fun with youth sports if adults would stop telling them they’re not having fun. 

Trust In Him posted:

NY, welcome, enjoy and feel free to add your 2 cents.  I "stumbled" onto this site late, after my son was playing in college.  For us his baseball journey from 5/6 yr old - 18 yr old, gave us the ideal opportunity for memorable family times.  

>>>>Those long car drives made us have meaningful conversations with my kids, <<<<<

some good and not so good.  No distractions, no way to escape!  Family bonding, made it worth every dollar and time spent.

What fathers have the best relationships with their daughters? Fathers who spent hours in the car with their daughter going to and from travel tournaments.

My daughter called me the night she had her first college softball bus ride. She told me she sat down and started thinking of all the hours we spent together in the car.

Welcome NY. My 2018 started bam bam baseball when he was 3. We spent the last two years driving around the US, stuck in airports, sometimes talking, sometimes ignoring each other. I often tell him that being with him is the next best thing to being alone (I mean that as a person who is very comfortable with my own company.)

Tonight, my husband and I are debating who gets the privilege of driving him two hours to college where he needs to throw a bullpen and get his motion evaluated.

Enjoy this time. Make of it what works best for you and your son. This site can help.

I'm still trying to get my head around a family of Yankee fans in Houston. I hope you're transplants, cause otherwise that is just so wrong - and that's coming from someone who lives a short subway ride from Yankee Stadium.

Those long rides are great, for sure. It doesn't speak very well of my company, but one of the great benefits of traveling to and from baseball games was that my son learned to fall asleep anytime anywhere really quickly.  It's a great life skill. My stepfather had it too, but he earned it a lot harder - doing 4 hour watches for weeks at a time on a destroyer in the Pacific during WWII.

Welcome to the site, and enjoy the ride!

Great post and all true, NY. I'm a mom of a 2020. This is my third post, although I've typed and deleted about 10 so far. My son started travel at 9u. I didn't know much about baseball to start, but watching my son play (my husband thinks about 700 games so far, maybe more) has been one of the greatest joys of my life.  I hope my son looks back on his baseball journey one day and feels the same way. Have fun! 

JCG posted:

I'm still trying to get my head around a family of Yankee fans in Houston. I hope you're transplants, cause otherwise that is just so wrong - and that's coming from someone who lives a short subway ride from Yankee Stadium.

Those long rides are great, for sure. It doesn't speak very well of my company, but one of the great benefits of traveling to and from baseball games was that my son learned to fall asleep anytime anywhere really quickly.  It's a great life skill. My stepfather had it too, but he earned it a lot harder - doing 4 hour watches for weeks at a time on a destroyer in the Pacific during WWII.

We’re originally from Brooklyn! Pure Yankee blood! 

Lol it’s rough our family rival team is the Astro’s and my son and hubby dress in Yankees everything at Astros games when the Yankee come to town. We go every summer to see a few games at Yankee stadium! It’s so bad my son teachers and everyone in town call him “Yankee”! He only wear Yankee clothes!  What’s worse is getting kicked by the Astros the last 2 years in Houston. I often joke with him and tell him if he gets up to the majors is because the Astro’s is going to sign him. Talk about a fuss! When the kid pitches the whole team cheers “go Yankee” lol  

Wow WW11 amazing your boy got a blood line of courage. 

Last edited by NY
cabbagedad posted:

NY, welcome to the site.  You covered cry, smile, learn, become humble... you left out "laughing" so you need to spend some time on this one...

https://community.hsbaseballwe...ool-baseball-watcher

It will definitely fill any down time you have.  Seriously, though, you are off to a great start and thanks for sharing that the site can be helpful!

I cannot stop laughing and now I place faces to characters. This is priceless thank you for the giggles. 

Welcome!

As best you can, help your son appreciate the fact that becoming an exceptional player is his passion and responsibility; not yours: that success in baseball or any other challenging endeavor worth pursuing is mostly about his commitment to consistent hard work.

The fact is that a small percentage of all players are truly gifted, but they set the standard on the field. The rest who make it to the top of the pyramid with them are "grinders" who willed themselves through hard work habits to a spot on the field with the gifted ones.

Meanwhile, do try as best you can to truly enjoy the journey and have fun; both of you!

JCG posted:

JCG, they are all over, and irritating!  Always honking their horns for no reason.  Seriously, all good.  How do they say it?  "Some of my best friends are Yankee fans."  25,000 families move to Houston each year.  And they come from all over the US and all over the world.

On being a Yankee fan, my father was born in southern Georgia in the '30's, son of a textile mill worker. There were no baseball teams in the south, not MLB anyway.  So he became a lifelong Yankee fan.  Something about those 27 world championships I guess.

Francis7 posted:

NY - one thing that I have learned that I will pass on...

My son is a 2022.  I introduced him to baseball when he was little.  Did T-ball at 6.  Started travel at 8.  Was in Little League from 6 to 12, and I was often his manager or coach.  (Like 99% of the time.)  I steered him away from the local community travel program run by volunteer dads and towards academy teams that I had vetted through research.  This is all a path that I am sure many would say mirrors their situation as well.

Then, around 13U, I started to move further away.  Now, at 15U, all I do is write checks and chauffeur him around.  He's taken full control of his baseball journey.  It's HIS decision and HIS obsession.  He has set HIS goals.  He pushes himself.  Literally, there are weeks in the off-season where he's training 5 or 6 days a week.  It's his call.  He wants to chase after it.  Once in a while, my wife and I will tell him "No, you need a day off.  You can't train 5 days in a row" (or something like that).  But, otherwise, we let him do his thing because...it is his thing.

Your's is 11 1/2?  You've got some time.  But, not as much as you may think.  That teenager/puberty thing is coming soon.  If he really has the baseball bug, he will be ready to start taking off on his own around 13U.  When it happens, don't panic and don't fight it.  

It's all good.

'22 dad here and I endorse this 100%.  My son made the turn last year and it's now HIS thing. I'm just riding shotgun and trying to put good ideas in front of him.  

Welcome aboard NY. As a father of a 2022, 2025 and a Yankees fan living in Mets country, I can definitely relate! I am glad you are reading and enjoying this site. This is a treasure trove of information for all levels of baseball your child may fall into...and all free (+1 to all the cheapskates like myself) thanks to the generosity of the families/players in this wonderful community who made the journey before us. I will disclose I have a very biased opinion of baseball but being an active sports parent over the past decade, I can proudly proclaim that the baseball community "pays it forward" the most.  What I learned (and still learning) is how to transfer ownership of development to our kids. Luckily my 2022 "survived" coach dad  and only played for him until 11/12, when he transitioned to a travel program. I was at times the dad/coach who subscribed to the philosophy if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger. My kid would get the brunt of the ire of the coach (me) and unfairly called out to make a point to show  the team and the parents not being a daddy-baller. I could justify it gave him the ability to prepare for how unfair the world can be and use the ends (his current successes in both school and sports) to justify the means. But there was the high cost of losing precious father/son time. I am very happy to be the glorified Uber driver, financier (within reason, still a cheapskate) and a member of his advisory board now.  My 2025 was weaned off dad coach at 9. He enjoyed baseball and had talent but not the passion like his brother. His baseball journey is most likely ending this year. For purely selfish reasons I am a bit melancholic, but his passion lies in other sports and because of that he enjoys practicing it daily and I enjoy it too as 1. it can be leveraged to ensure good grades and behavior and 2. keeps him away from fortnite or "Electronic Satan". Anyhoot, sorry for the long rant work has been a bit slow, I am glad that you are here, hopefully I can now have a seat at the grown up table since I now have a kid in HS.         

Welcome NY! Sorry about that Yankee Fan thing. I grew up in Philly, so we did not like any other teams, especially teams wearing pinstripes. After moving to the bay area, I made sure that there was always a Phillies team in little league. My kid would always get called "Yo Philly". Lucky for him he made through that time unscathed.

Good luck to you on the journey. This site will help along the way.

Picked Off posted:

Welcome NY! Sorry about that Yankee Fan thing. I grew up in Philly, so we did not like any other teams, especially teams wearing pinstripes. After moving to the bay area, I made sure that there was always a Phillies team in little league. My kid would always get called "Yo Philly". Lucky for him he made through that time unscathed.

My son considered filing child abuse and mental anguish charges against me for allowing him to grow up a Philadelphia sports fan. I told him my defense would be we had all the sports packages. He could have chosen to be a Boston fan. Then, like me he could have a designated parade watching site.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
RJM posted:
Picked Off posted:

My son considered filing child abuse and mental anguish charges against me for allowing him to grow up a Philadelphia sports fan. I told him my defense would be we had all the sports packages. He could have chosen to be a Boston fan. Then, like me he could have a designated parade watching site.

I think I saw you behind Red Auerbach when he was lighting up one of his cigars.  

85917BFC-1377-40F9-8313-C0632F2DF8F8

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 85917BFC-1377-40F9-8313-C0632F2DF8F8

I live in the sports desert of San Diego.  Zero championships.  I grew up in the Bay Area, when things were...different:  1972-1974: A's.  1975: Warriors: 1976, 1980: Raiders. 1981, 1985: 49ers.  1989: A's/49ers.  1990: 49ers.  And then I left town for Washington.  1992: Redskins.

I weep for my children.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.