Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

SomeBaseballDad posted:

I've been thinking about this for awhile. A lot of times during hitting discussions poster bring up the greats, Babe, Ted, Hank, etc. I have to wonder how they would have fared in this day and age of 95+.  Would the results be the same if that pitch would have been 97? 

Would have gone further. And he would have hit about 110 more. 

Go44dad posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:

I've been thinking about this for awhile. A lot of times during hitting discussions poster bring up the greats, Babe, Ted, Hank, etc. I have to wonder how they would have fared in this day and age of 95+.  Would the results be the same if that pitch would have been 97? 

Would have gone further. And he would have hit about 110 more. 

Ya think? I'd love to know what that pitch was. I'd say 84 wasn't far off. That's HS pitching now days, and really not great HS pitching.

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad

Ok, seriously for a moment. Are you teleporting todays pitchers back to 1957 into that particular game?  Having rarely seen pitching like that, yeah, todays pitchers would win. 

Hank was 23 at the time. I posit that if hank was born in 1996, had the same training and knowledge that is available to the top players today, he would be the same hall of famer at the end of his career that he was in his era. Remember, much of his career was hitting in large multi-use stadiums. Huge foul area that gave the pitcher many outs. Also, the strike zone was from the armpits to the knees, not just above belt to the hollow if the knee cap. Further, the mound was 15” high, not the current 10”.  And if Hank would have had a few years at DH?

I say same Hank, same stats, same WAR, same Hall of Famer. 

I am glad you replied. All in fun. Love to talk about my childhood hero. 

“Don’t worry about pure speed.  You can run a jet airliner through the strike zone, and I will figure out how to rope it down the line. Locate a ball that moves at my knees, and I’m out.”       --Henry L. Aaron

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...pitching-counts.html

[From the same article, quoting Greg Maddux speaking to young Braves pitchers at spring training:  “You know why I am a millionaire? Because I can put my fastball wherever I want to.  Do you know why I own beachfront property in L.A.? Because I can change speeds. O.K., questions?”]

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.