Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

RJM posted:

Unfortunately some pro athletes are so self involved they believe their opinion is more relevant than any other person sitting on a corner stool in a bar. Often without having researched the facts they pound their chest on social media.,

Not just athletes...I'd rate this at just about anybody who has ever sent a picture out on Social Media.  Or posted on High School baseball websites!  

It certainly isn't easy as a famous person to use social media. You get provoked a lot (him especially by Astros fans since he stated he believes Astros  pitchers boost their spin rate with pine tar) and if you fire back you are the one who is blamed.

Best thing would be to ignore or block those people but I understand if someone occasionally ticks off especially if you use social media yourself instead of having a social media manager.

Many geniuses are fools. I see both in Bauer.  I like him.  And I'm an Astro fan.  I wish he would come to Houston.

Went to an Astro/Indian game about four/five years ago.  Last series of the season. Was on the field in the media area before the game with my son. Their 3B coach played with my brother in-law in college.  Some guy in the outfield was throwing the ball foul pole to foul pole.  My son asked "Wow, what's that guy doing?"  The coach rolled his eyes and said "That's Trevor." 

Son also got Michael Brantley's autograph on an Indians hat.  Need it on an Astro hat now.

Bauer really had a fantastic season last year.  2.21 ERA, 1.089 WHIP, led the AL in FIP & HR/9, struck out 11.9 K's per 9, is entering his age 28 year old season, there's a ton to like about him.  I'd certainly love to have him on my favorite team (Brewers).

I don't care one way or the other about his Twitter persona.  It just isn't something I pay attention to.

I am a lifelong Indians fan and resident of Ctown.  I listen to a lot of sports talk radio lol.  Generally, it seems that the fan base believes in his ability and feels he is a top pitcher - last year was a legit candidate for the Cy Young until he was injured.  They support his scientific approach to pitching and knowledge of mechanics, but have tired of his personality ...  He can be a gamer and tough, which the fans like, but then can be surly and eccentric.  I'm sure its not always fair but that is how he comes off.  There is no outcry to trade him or anything, but the drone incident in the playoffs in 2017, frequent Twitter outbursts, and the way he deals with the media is getting tiresome.  Overall, I like him and am willing to take the bad with the good so to speak if he continues to win!

Similarly, I grew up in NE Ohio and remain a Cleveland fan despite living most of my life on the West Coast.   I have much the same observations as Qhead.  You can't dispute his abilities, intelligence and full efforts to use his intelligence and skill set to maximize his effectiveness.  This aspect has been interesting to follow.  And, he's been a gamer and a winner.  So, in those respects, I'm a fan.

Those of us who heavily favor a team first approach have difficulties with some of his thought processes and actions.  But the high intellect guys tend to have some similar traits (Richard Sherman/ Sheldon Cooper / Bill Walton).  Just different.  He seems to have made progress with awareness of how his words and actions reflect his team (or lack of) approach but, while improved, there is still always some distance between him and teammates.  If only I were smart enough to understand and relate to the struggle .

Last edited by cabbagedad
Kyle Boddy posted:

I don't seem to have a problem with him, and I see him basically every day in the off-season. People with nothing else going on in their lives who need drama to entertain themselves seem to have the most problems with Trevor.

That is because you are a jerk too, kyle.

Just kidding, I don't think trevor is a bad person at all but he is getting into some controversies. I think it is entertaining though, quite different from the white washed politically correct media trained guys.

I think the little banter with bregman was fun and even the pine tar controversy wasn't bad because finally an insider said something about an open secret.

With the girl he maybe went a little overboard i think though. A rebuttal if you attacked is fine but not like 50 tweets. Fire one shot back and then block her...

Kyle Boddy posted:

I don't seem to have a problem with him, and I see him basically every day in the off-season. People with nothing else going on in their lives who need drama to entertain themselves seem to have the most problems with Trevor.

It’s not uncommon for a visible person’s public persona to be different from what the person is like in a private setting. Or the person has positive qualities that allow you to look past the cringe worthy moments.

It's hard not to admire someone who is so dedicated to his craft. Let's face it, despite the raw talent he did flounder for a few years and he took the responsibility for his own career. The success he has had working with Rapsodo and high speed video has caused all of MLB to take notice and most teams now utilize that technology.

How many times have we seen young pitchers with "good stuff" not be able to harness that and have a successful career? Bauer's use of technology and his public documentation of his progress have been a definite factor in accelerating its usage throughout Major League baseball.

That being said, with everything I have read about him he's an abrasive personality. While some people admire his IDGAF attitude I think that ultimately it hurts him both personally and professionally. He probably wouldn't be the type of guy I would hang around with. But it's his life and he's free to choose to live it as he sees fit.

.PitchingFan posted:

I admire the dedication to honing his trade but his attitude is horrible.  I feel that there has to be some depression in that mentality.  For him to continually say, I have no friends is scary.  He has all the signs of depression, but maybe he overexaggerates it.  Great player, not so great a guy.  

I read an article about Bauer yesterday. I only read it because he trashed Chris Sale and it was in the local media. The article said a majority of his teammates openly dislike him. 

Years ago I attempted to have a discussion with Mike Marshall on his website. Because I opened with I was going to disagree with him more than agree with him he called me a child abuser as a parent and coach. This was before I even explained what I believe and don’t believe. 

Some people are just this socially dysfunctional. They’re also so narcissistic they can’t handle the idea anyone would disagree with them. 

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:
.PitchingFan posted:

I admire the dedication to honing his trade but his attitude is horrible.  I feel that there has to be some depression in that mentality.  For him to continually say, I have no friends is scary.  He has all the signs of depression, but maybe he overexaggerates it.  Great player, not so great a guy.  

I read an article about Bauer yesterday. I only read it because he trashed Chris Sale and it was in the local media. The article said a majority of his teammates openly dislike him. 

Years ago I attempted to have a discussion with Mike Marshall on his website. Because I opened with I was going to disagree with him more than agree with him he called me a child abuser as a parent and coach. This was before I even explained what I believe and don’t believe. 

Some people are just this socially dysfunctional. They’re also so narcissistic they can’t handle the idea anyone would disagree with them. 

Would you trade him straight up for Price, with Red Sox eating Price's salary?

I don't think as harshly toward him as others have expressed here today and there is certainly no doubting his abilities and tenacity.  That said, the article does shed new light that makes me think back and wonder.  I have been part of many teams where a big win was tempered by the actions or aura of one "me" guy.  Nothing worse.  The Tribe has been winning but..  ??  I know the tribe was set on reducing payroll but still wonder if some of the mass exodus didn't have something to do with having a tempered environment (and, yes, I am aware that some of the young P's are benefiting from his help).  It also comes to mind that Kluber was the trade target far more than Bauer.  Was that in part because teams were far less interested in taking on everything that comes with Bauer?  I don't think someone paying him top dollar is an issue, as was made evident by the Pads willingness to do so with "I don't hustle" Machado. 

Go44dad posted:
RJM posted:
.PitchingFan posted:

In the big picture Price isn’t worth the 7/210M. Pitching the Sox to a WS win made it worth it. I think Price is a jerk. I still believe he should apologize to Eckersley. But his teammates like him. Bauer’s teammates don’t like him. Team chemistry is important.

On talent and age alone, in a minute. All things considered, no.

RJM posted:
Go44dad posted:
RJM posted:

In the big picture Price isn’t worth the 7/210M. Pitching the Sox to a WS win made it worth it. I think Price is a jerk. I still believe he should apologize to Eckersley. But his teammates like him. Bauer’s teammates don’t like him. Team chemistry is important.

On talent and age alone, in a minute. All things considered, no.

Fair

All his personality faults/brain works different/his construct of "everybody hates me" or whatever his social interactions are...I would like to see him follow through on the "I will never sign more than a one year contract" pledge he has repeatedly made.

Go44dad posted:
RoadRunner posted:
Dominik85 posted:

Trevor went on a big twitter vendetta against Astros players digging out their old tweets

https://twitter.com/BauerOutag...885978012344320?s=19

They deserve it. Tough. 

Any player who has success in the Astros organization will now be questioned as a "cheater".  Whether they deserve it or not.

And Trevor Bauer is an asshole.

Nah. Just the guys that cheated. Bauer is an imperfect human being. Part of what I love about him. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.