Skip to main content

Trust In Him posted:

The steroids to be concerned with are anabolic steroids, completely different than corticosteroids (prednisone, dexamethasone, etc).  Corticosteroids are used for inflammation, pain, asthma, and such.  Even if a drug appears on the NCAA list, such as amphetamines or derivatives, it is legal as long as the proper paperwork, medical info, prescription is provided.  I agree with Buckeye 2015, not really worth the risk.  This is probably just letting him throw, not necessarily addressing the underlying problem.  Good luck with the season

Oh, right. They don’t do steroids in college ball. Well, even if they did, they would really be discrete about it and hide it well. Certain USC player shoots that theory in the foot! 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 34F18549-0DC2-404B-8925-3EB05D591002
rynoattack posted:
CTbballDad posted:

Really cool...Good luck!  You know we're all going to be checking the box score now, right?

Yeah, it makes me nervous!  I hope he does well.  I feel like I did when he was in JC ball.  He was up and down as a Freshman, but completely dominated as a Soph.  I'm thinking that he is going to have a really good year this year, after being up and down last year.  

They have a really tough row to hoe though.  Starting out with to Top 25 Teams on the road will not be easy.

Eh, no reason to be nervous.  We’ve all experienced the good and bad games from our kids.  They're all special in the end, especially at the level your son is playing at. Enjoy!

I've got a mental log of many of the sons playing this year and will be rooting them all on.

Congrats to everyone's kids thus far.  Son's school has been trapped indoors with 7 inches of snow covering the mound.  They are hosting an indoor scrimmage this Friday and then kick things off in St Louis (supposedly) on March 2nd.  

Very happy to report that after 7 months of hard work, my LHP has recovered from his elbow injury (sprained ulner nerve and then ultimately ulner nerve surgery).  Said his  velo isn't fully back yet, but during two intersquad indoor scrimmages he has thrown 3 innings with no pain and performed really well.  

Good luck to everyone's kids that are battling through rehab… not easy. 

So Ryno had a pretty good start.  5 1/3 ip, 9 hits, 1 bb, 1 k, 3 r, 2 er, took the loss.  He pitched against a very good Southern Miss team, and he held them scoreless through 5.  Since it was his first start of the year, I was hoping he'd get pulled after 5. 5 scoreless would have been great.

Anyhow, half of the hits were infield hits.  He sawed off the preseason all American, clean-up hitter, but unfortunately, he got a swinging bunt single.  He thought he pitched well, but his out pitch just couldn't put guys away on Saturday.  S. Miss just kept battling and putting the ball in play.  Coach Waz says the S. Miss 1 - 5 in their line-up is as good as any line-up they'll face all year, so I am hoping he is right.  

So in the 6th, Ryno gets the first guy out, and then the next guy hits a nice single. Then, the next batter hit a rocket that hits Ryan right in the hip.  He said he didn't even see it. Now, there is 1 out and 2 on.  Next guy gets a hit, and there is an error on the throw back in.  Score is now 2 - 2 with a guy on 2nd.  New pitcher strikes out the next guy, but gives up a hit, and the runner scores.  They end up tacking on another run, so the final was 4 - 2.  

Purdue did get swept, but they really competed against a good team, I believe they are going to be a better team for this extremely tough early schedule.

I think Ryan's start looks even better after S. Miss dropped 16 on Purdue Sunday...

rynoattack posted:

So Ryno had a pretty good start.  5 1/3 ip, 9 hits, 1 bb, 1 k, 3 r, 2 er, took the loss.  He pitched against a very good Southern Miss team, and he held them scoreless through 5.  Since it was his first start of the year, I was hoping he'd get pulled after 5. 5 scoreless would have been great.

Anyhow, half of the hits were infield hits.  He sawed off the preseason all American, clean-up hitter, but unfortunately, he got a swinging bunt single.  He thought he pitched well, but his out pitch just couldn't put guys away on Saturday.  S. Miss just kept battling and putting the ball in play.  Coach Waz says the S. Miss 1 - 5 in their line-up is as good as any line-up they'll face all year, so I am hoping he is right.  

So in the 6th, Ryno gets the first guy out, and then the next guy hits a nice single. Then, the next batter hit a rocket that hits Ryan right in the hip.  He said he didn't even see it. Now, there is 1 out and 2 on.  Next guy gets a hit, and there is an error on the throw back in.  Score is now 2 - 2 with a guy on 2nd.  New pitcher strikes out the next guy, but gives up a hit, and the runner scores.  They end up tacking on another run, so the final was 4 - 2.  

Purdue did get swept, but they really competed against a good team, I believe they are going to be a better team for this extremely tough early schedule.

I think Ryan's start looks even better after S. Miss dropped 16 on Purdue Sunday...

Am I the only one who thinks pitchers usually get left in one batter too long? Although from what happened after he left, sounds like he was the best option and did a great job against tough competition. Congrats.

CSUN had a decent weekend. Split four with Kansas State, but dropped two games with late collapses on the mound. Dalton didn't dress for this series. His velocity had dropped from 90-93/96 in the late summer/early fall to 86-88 the last couple of weeks before the season started and the HC had him completely take off nine days with no throwing although he swears there is no physical problem. He was supposed to throw a pen on Tuesday to prepare, but it rained Tue through Thur and CSUN has no indoor facilities. 

Luckily, because there had been rain in the forecast, we had canceled going to Cali this past weekend and decided to go this coming weekend for a four game series against Gonzaga. 

Some notes from the weekend. One thing that has surprised me is the lack of velocity form CSUN's staff. Probably our most efficient starter, whose dad is on this board, sits 78-81 and tops out occasionally at 82. Great secondary stuff, though. Outside of Dalton, there is one pitcher on the staff that can consistently pitch in the low 90's and he gave up six runs in the ninth yesterday in a 5-5 game. There are several contributors on the staff that sit high 70's/low 80's. Just a note for those stuck on the idea that you HAVE to throw 90+ to pitch D1.

roothog66 posted:
bacdorslider posted:
Ethan threw well, had some bad luck, LF lost a pop up on the sun, all in all a good weekend

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Looked like the Vandy staff, as a whole, struggled. Young staff, so that's always a possibility early.

Looking forward to Mar 1-3 in Nashville.  Son plays at Belmont, a friend of his is playing for Xavier at Lipscomb and another plays for Dayton at Vandy.   Depending on what son is doing (DH or P), I'm gonna try to catch at least part of a game at all 3 places.  Son played at Vandy as a 17U player, but I've never been there for a Vandy game....kinda excited to see what it's like to see a game at a "big time" baseball school     Oh, and it would be great to see the Ohio teams win some games that weekend lol

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

Hey Root, one of our HS kids is a Sat. starter for Gonzaga.  Let me know if it looks like yours is gonna make a Saturday start - may be worth a drive down.  One of my assistants played for CSUN ages ago when they were D2 national champs... can probably talk him into joining me.  Also, let me know if you are going to make the trip to San Luis for the Poly series.  That's very close to home and I should have time for more Poly games this year.  If you haven't been to SLO, well worth the trip... sort of a hidden gem and late March is the perfect time.  

Last edited by cabbagedad
roothog66 posted:

CSUN had a decent weekend. Split four with Kansas State, but dropped two games with late collapses on the mound. Dalton didn't dress for this series. His velocity had dropped from 90-93/96 in the late summer/early fall to 86-88 the last couple of weeks before the season started and the HC had him completely take off nine days with no throwing although he swears there is no physical problem. He was supposed to throw a pen on Tuesday to prepare, but it rained Tue through Thur and CSUN has no indoor facilities. 

Luckily, because there had been rain in the forecast, we had canceled going to Cali this past weekend and decided to go this coming weekend for a four game series against Gonzaga. 

Some notes from the weekend. One thing that has surprised me is the lack of velocity form CSUN's staff. Probably our most efficient starter, whose dad is on this board, sits 78-81 and tops out occasionally at 82. Great secondary stuff, though. Outside of Dalton, there is one pitcher on the staff that can consistently pitch in the low 90's and he gave up six runs in the ninth yesterday in a 5-5 game. There are several contributors on the staff that sit high 70's/low 80's. Just a note for those stuck on the idea that you HAVE to throw 90+ to pitch D1.

CSUN has shown much improvement over the recent years.  It seems like coaches always find a few gems through the JC route.  It wouldn't surprise me to see CSUN up at the top contending with Fullerton and Long Beach. 

Trust In Him posted:
roothog66 posted:

CSUN has shown much improvement over the recent years.  It seems like coaches always find a few gems through the JC route.  It wouldn't surprise me to see CSUN up at the top contending with Fullerton and Long Beach. 

They might if some things come together. Only one returning starter in the field, but the newcomers have hit the hell out of the ball so far. One thing that did impress me was that Coach Moore really stepped up the non-conference schedule this year adding K State, Gonzaga, Iowa, Michigan, and St. John's in addition to UCLA and USC.

rynoattack posted:

HS teammate of my son is going to SM. He only had one AB during the series, but doubled and scored a run. The kid can hit.

roothog66 posted:

Low velo pitchers who are smart, accurate, can change speeds and ball rotation can absolutely destroy a good hitting team. Also make the next P in line look like they are pitching 95+.

It's also early in the year. Velos will ramp up as the weather does.

Last edited by 57special
57special posted:
rynoattack posted:

HS teammate of my son is going to SM. He only had one AB during the series, but doubled and scored a run. The kid can hit.

They have a great group of hitters there.  Ryno was a little disappointed in his out pitch. He said he'll work on that, and hope to put more guys away this weekend at UT.

rynoattack posted:
57special posted:
rynoattack posted:

They have a great group of hitters there.  Ryno was a little disappointed in his out pitch. He said he'll work on that, and hope to put more guys away this weekend at UT.

It's REALLY early. He'll figure it out. 

My son also had his first college experience this past weekend, closing out a lopsided game against ND. Gave up 2 hits, 0 BB, 0 ER, and finished the game with a K. What an amazing experience to be standing up with those who remained and cheering him on to finish the game. He has come a long way and a feel good story for HS pitchers who struggle. As frosh playing on soph team, he could throw hard but finished the season with a 17.00 ERA, worst on the team. He did play a bunch as position player but his arm was what was going to provide him an opportunity to play at next level. Fortunately he got better but was still told by many that he was not ready for 4-year baseball and should go JUCO route. He was literally ready to commit to Iowa W. when we met a high-level PC who saw potential and started working with him late summer before senior year. 2 months later he had opportunity to throw for 2 P5 programs with both showing interest but only 1 willing to offer roster spot right away. Thankfully they saw potential and were willing to give him a shot to develop. I have zero expectations at this point and just enjoying the hell out of watching him being a part of it all!

coachld posted:

My son also had his first college experience this past weekend, closing out a lopsided game against ND. Gave up 2 hits, 0 BB, 0 ER, and finished the game with a K. What an amazing experience to be standing up with those who remained and cheering him on to finish the game. He has come a long way and a feel good story for HS pitchers who struggle. As frosh playing on soph team, he could throw hard but finished the season with a 17.00 ERA, worst on the team. He did play a bunch as position player but his arm was what was going to provide him an opportunity to play at next level. Fortunately he got better but was still told by many that he was not ready for 4-year baseball and should go JUCO route. He was literally ready to commit to Iowa W. when we met a high-level PC who saw potential and started working with him late summer before senior year. 2 months later he had opportunity to throw for 2 P5 programs with both showing interest but only 1 willing to offer roster spot right away. Thankfully they saw potential and were willing to give him a shot to develop. I have zero expectations at this point and just enjoying the hell out of watching him being a part of it all!

ASU showed up this weekend. Might be the break out year Smith needs. Luke should get innings. I mean, you guys only have, what, 25 on the roster this year? 

roothog66 posted:
coachld posted:

ASU showed up this weekend. Might be the break out year Smith needs. Luke should get innings. I mean, you guys only have, what, 25 on the roster this year? 

Yep. Idea was to limit distractions but don't think they were planning on losing a few players. If they can stay healthy, I don't think it should be a problem. Time will tell.

24fan posted:

Freshman son pitched his first inning a couple of weeks ago. Struck out the first 2 batters on 7 pitches. Then...a walk, a blooper that fell in on a 1-2 count, another walk, and a well hit double. Gave up 2 runs with 2 outs. So it was an up and down first appearance.   

Arggh so frustrating I'm sure.  Congrats on 2 Ks on first two batters faced tho - that had to be sweet.

Son's team won 1 of 4 from top hitting team in the country. Ripken Fan son had 8 hits, 4 bags, and turned 7 double plays over the weekend. A good weekend at "the office." Always good to see the freshman get on the mound for the first time, first base hit, etc. Here's hoping for more wins this weekend. Forecast is calling for rain. I'm optimistic if a game is cancelled, that I'll be able to find something to do in New Orleans the weekend before Mardi Gras.

Duncan had a rough second weekend. Got through one third of an inning — hit someone, gave up two walks. Not himself. Assuming all of that is part of the learning curve when you go from a high school of less than 1,000 kids, where 250 people at a baseball game was a huge crowd, to flying for 9 hours and then throwing in front of 3,000 mostly hostile fans.

Hoping they actually get some games in this weekend in Oklahoma and that we get some layers of snow off the field here in Iowa before CSUN appears. 

Iowamom23 posted:

Duncan had a rough second weekend. Got through one third of an inning — hit someone, gave up two walks. Not himself. Assuming all of that is part of the learning curve when you go from a high school of less than 1,000 kids, where 250 people at a baseball game was a huge crowd, to flying for 9 hours and then throwing in front of 3,000 mostly hostile fans.

Hoping they actually get some games in this weekend in Oklahoma and that we get some layers of snow off the field here in Iowa before CSUN appears. 

That's a tough one, but that's normal, he'll get used to the crowds and coaches understand it.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.   Son started a Saturday game at FSU his freshman year in front of 5,000+ and then Saturday of opening weekend his sophomore season at Texas A & M in front of 7200.   He said it didn't bother him, but he's always kind of been like that with big games.....but the "ball 5" chant at A & M really got in the head of a couple of our guys

.....if his arm feels ok after his bullpen tomorrow, he's expecting to see the mound a little bit this weekend.  He threw last Friday and arm was still a little sore yesterday.  Hopefully it's just from having taken so much time off and it'll be better this week

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

Son's college career started at a weekend series at A&M. Top 4 hitters in line-up (and maybe SP) were freshman. Another freshman ( a 2-way player) entered the game as a reliever. Had trouble finding plate..up to "ball 5 " or "ball 6". I think the chant surprised him and irked his mom who said to a group of fans, "Hey that's my son!"

bacdorslider posted:

Ethan, some how got his first win at Vandy last night. after a dropped ball in the first outing that drove up his ERA ... its starting to look respectable, team leading in K's per inning and K%  

getting his feet wet.... 

Will you be at Vandy this weekend?  Son's team is at Belmont and I'm staying right around the corner from Vandy's stadium.  Depending on how things go with him (DH or pitching) I'm gonna try to get by Vandy sometime.  Son has a friend that catches for Dayton

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.