Skip to main content

meads posted:

Update:

infield velocity :65 mph 

exit velocity: 78 mph

fast ball avg 72 mph

now, anyone have numbers of where he is suppose to be? And I will add, his fastball was averaging 65mph in November so we are excited about that! 👍😱🎉

I've posted some numbers I was given when my son started his recruiting process.  Now, let me first say, these are not guaranteed to get you into any college, nor put you on the top list of every college recruiter.  View them as points to help in your sons development.  There's a lot that goes on in the recruiting process, and hitting these numbers doesn't mean scholarship.  But, they can help set expectations.  For example, if your son is a 2022 and he has a goal to play D1, he knows he has to increase his velo number somewhere in the 90+ range over the next 3 years. By the time he's a junior if he's in the mid 80's, he may want to re-think D1, or get extra help in getting the number higher.  As an example, my son is an OF, and will play on an athletic scholarship for a school in the Big West Conference.  His numbers just last summer when he was an Incoming HS  Senior:

60 Yard Dash - 6.76

Exit Velo - 96

Raw Velo (OF) - 92

His freshman year he was:

60 Yard Dash - 7.05

Exit Velo - 81

Raw Velo - 80

There's a lot that's going to change over the next 3 years...physically, mentally, academically and socially.  Continue to guide him, and set real expectations.  Be a Dad first, coach second...

Measurable Tool #1: Bat Speed
•Average High School: 80 MPH+
•Good High School/Average Non-D1 College: 85 MPH+
•Minimum D1/Good Non-D1: 90 MPH+
•Average D1 starter/Fringe Pro: 95 MPH+
•Good D1/MLB Prospect: 100 MPH+

Measurable Tool #2: Arm Velocity
Infielders:
•Average High School: 75 MPH+
•Good High School/Average Non-D1 College: 80 MPH+
•Minimum D1/Good Non-D1: 85 MPH+
•Average D1 starter/Fringe Pro: 88 MPH+
•Good D1/MLB Prospect: 92 MPH+

Catcher:
•Average High School: 70 MPH+
•Good High School/Average Non-D1 College: 75 MPH+
•Minimum D1/Good Non-D1: 78 MPH+
•Average D1 starter/Fringe Pro: 80 MPH+
•Good D1/MLB Prospect: 85 MPH+

Outfield:
•Average High School: 75 MPH+
•Good High School/Average Non-D1 College: 80 MPH+
•Minimum D1/Good Non-D1: 85 MPH+
•Average D1 starter/Fringe Pro: 90 MPH+
•Good D1/MLB Prospect: 95 MPH+

Measurable Tool #3: 60 Time
Infielders:
•Average High School: 7.4 sec
•Good High School/Average Non-D1 College: 7.2 sec
•Minimum D1/Good Non-D1: 6.99 sec
•Average D1 starter/Fringe Pro: 6.8 sec
•Good D1/MLB Prospect: 6.6 sec+

Catcher:
•Average High School: 7.5 sec
•Good High School/Average Non-D1 College: 7.5 sec
•Minimum D1/Good Non-D1: 7.3 sec
•Average D1 starter/Fringe Pro: 7.2 sec
•Good D1/MLB Prospect: 7.0 sec

Outfield:
•Average High School: 7.3 sec
•Good High School/Average Non-D1 College: 7.0 sec
•Minimum D1/Good Non-D1: 6.8 sec
•Average D1 starter/Fringe Pro: 6.7 sec
•Good D1/MLB Prospect: 6.5 sec +

Some second showcase advice:

Don't attend a showcase just because you received a personal invite. There are going to be a lot of people looking to make money off your son, whether he is a stud or a bum. I know you said the invite came from a HS coach. But if somebody is helping to run the event they are most likely getting paid or getting kickback for every player they bring in. I don't know how involved your coach is, but anybody telling you that you need to do something is likely to profit off your attendance. Now that your name is on email list, there are likely going to be more invites and offers. Just be cautious. 

PABaseball posted:

Some second showcase advice:

Don't attend a showcase just because you received a personal invite. There are going to be a lot of people looking to make money off your son, whether he is a stud or a bum. I know you said the invite came from a HS coach. But if somebody is helping to run the event they are most likely getting paid or getting kickback for every player they bring in. I don't know how involved your coach is, but anybody telling you that you need to do something is likely to profit off your attendance. Now that your name is on email list, there are likely going to be more invites and offers. Just be cautious. 

Thank you. My son and I have had a serious talk. He is no where a stud and I told him this season and summer will we a test and more of a story that will help us see where he is at. A lot of ‘more experienced parents’ have helped guide us. 

As far as his Hs coach- he wouldn’t have invited my son if he didn’t think he was ready and/ or had the potential. He has over 60 kids and he only invited 4 freshman and 5 sophomores. The rest were juniors and seniors.

Also, being a single parent with no extra income (child support) I don’t have money to throw around for camps and showcases. So, no worries there 👍 and I have heard of some scams already 😢

CTbballDad posted:

Meads, given everything you just mentioned, I wouldn’t return to a paid showcase until the summer of 2020 at the earliest.  You may even be able to wait until the summer of his rising senior year (if I recall, he’s a 2022) as he may need that time to get his metrics up to a college level.

Yes he is a 2022 grad, and we plan on not going to another one until next Fall.

As to waiting until his senior year to do another showcase. I seriously hope you are joking and that advice is not taken kindly.🤢  I plan on him returning to a PBR next Fall and every Fall to see how he has grown in his skills and talent. That is proper measurement, sir. 📣

I know my son isn’t in the top 20% and he has some growing to do, but being that he didn’t start playing until he was 14 against kids who have been playing since they were 5, he has caught up to and surpassed many. He is determined and works hard without me pressuring him. He has the passion and drive for this game unlike most kids who we saw yesterday at the showcase who didn’t have belts or clean pants or even tied shoes and many with no hussle. Some acted like daddies money will buy them a slot or a shout out. 🙄

meads posted:
I know my son isn’t in the top 20% and he has some growing to do, but being that he didn’t start playing until he was 14 against kids who have been playing since they were 5, he has caught up to and surpassed many. 

A HS coach sending a first year player to a paid college showcase is very shady and very unethical. I would go as far to say slimy. 

I don't want to be too harsh, but you claim your son isn't a stud and his numbers would indicate that he is on the lower end of the spectrum. He is young, inexperienced, and still growing. Let that correct itself first before sending him to another showcase or you will be wasting a lot of money. You mention the top 20%, but that is who showcases are designed for. Of the top 20%, less than half will receive an offer to play collegiately. That kid without the belt, will get more opportunities if he is more talented. 

Nobody is here to knock your son. They're here to keep your money in your pocket and give you unbiased advice. You can do a showcase every two weeks, it is just not something that would be beneficial for you or your son right now.

meads posted:
CTbballDad posted:

Meads, given everything you just mentioned, I wouldn’t return to a paid showcase until the summer of 2020 at the earliest.  You may even be able to wait until the summer of his rising senior year (if I recall, he’s a 2022) as he may need that time to get his metrics up to a college level.

As to waiting until his senior year to do another showcase. I seriously hope you are joking and that advice is not taken kindly.🤢  I plan on him returning to a PBR next Fall and every Fall to see how he has grown in his skills and talent. That is proper measurement, sir. 📣

I know my son isn’t in the top 20% and he has some growing to do, but being that he didn’t start playing until he was 14 against kids who have been playing since they were 5, he has caught up to and surpassed many. He is determined and works hard without me pressuring him. He has the passion and drive for this game unlike most kids who we saw yesterday at the showcase who didn’t have belts or clean pants or even tied shoes and many with no hussle. Some acted like daddies money will buy them a slot or a shout out. 🙄

I meant no ill will.  My son went to a few showcases and camps, but our concentration was the summer of his rising senior year.  In hind sight, those junior year showcases/camps did not amount to much. 

My son was always the best pitcher on his team, but he's also a slow grower, so he didn't have the metrics for a college pitcher until now.  Seems to me your son is in the same mold, which is why I made that suggestion.

The kids who get recruited summer rising sophomore/junior year are studs/early development and they go to P5.  Your son will need to make a significant jump, in a short period of time, to be one of them.  If you're targeting mid D1 or D2/D3, most of their recruiting takes place summer of rising senior year 

CTbballDad posted:
meads posted:
CTbballDad posted:

I meant no ill will.  My son went to a few showcases and camps, but our concentration was the summer of his rising senior year.  In hind sight, those junior year showcases/camps did not amount to much. 

My son was always the best pitcher on his team, but he's also a slow grower, so he didn't have the metrics for a college pitcher until now.  Seems to me your son is in the same mold, which is why I made that suggestion.

The kids who get recruited summer rising sophomore/junior year are studs/early development and they go to P5.  Your son will need to make a significant jump, in a short period of time, to be one of them.  If you're targeting mid D1 or D2/D3, most of their recruiting takes place summer of rising senior year 

Thank you for that. Sounds like our sons are alike, so I now see where you were coming from.

PABaseball posted:
meads posted:
I know my son isn’t in the top 20% and he has some growing to do, but being that he didn’t start playing until he was 14 against kids who have been playing since they were 5, he has caught up to and surpassed many. 

A HS coach sending a first year player to a paid college showcase is very shady and very unethical. I would go as far to say slimy. 

I don't want to be too harsh, but you claim your son isn't a stud and his numbers would indicate that he is on the lower end of the spectrum. He is young, inexperienced, and still growing. Let that correct itself first before sending him to another showcase or you will be wasting a lot of money. You mention the top 20%, but that is who showcases are designed for. Of the top 20%, less than half will receive an offer to play collegiately. That kid without the belt, will get more opportunities if he is more talented. 

Nobody is here to knock your son. They're here to keep your money in your pocket and give you unbiased advice. You can do a showcase every two weeks, it is just not something that would be beneficial for you or your son right now.

I have to disagree with you about our HS coach. He is an outstanding man both at school and in our community. He sent my son to get numbers, to get a better idea (for all of us) where he was. He has my son practicing with the varsity boys to push him to the next level. So he has nothing but good intentions there. He sees promise.

Again, we will not be going to showcases and jumping on the money spending bandwagon anytime soon.

As far as the kid without the belt...my point on that was simply all these showcases etc are like a job interview. If you can't follow instructions, dress yourself properly and so on all of that is going to also make an impression and not a good one. It tells the coaches that you really don't care enough to take this seriously. The coaches that were running PBR were taking notes and paying attention to details (as they should). I was eavesdropping on their conversations, that's how I learn.

We wasted a lot of money, in hindsight.  My son's high school coach also recommended doing a PBR showcase freshman year and then each subsequent year to measure improvement.  I don't think he was being slimy, I think he genuinely thought it was the right thing to do.  After son did the first one, his travel coach pointed out that now the unimpressive numbers were posted online, forever, until he did another showcase; once that happens, you have to keep doing PBR's showcases to improve your numbers.  On the other hand, whenever PBR had a showcase, all of son's friends from travel were doing them, so he wanted to do them too, it was peer pressure.  So, money was spent. 

Now that we know better, I would say the key points to remember are these:

- it's not hard to measure things like 60-time (with a stopwatch on a football field), or FB (borrow someone's radar gun, probably the HS coach has one).  So, before signing up for another showcase, figure out for yourself whether the numbers will be worth displaying.  That's the #1 thing I wish we had known before we started; many people will say to go to a showcase to be evaluated, but really, you can self-evaluate, at least as far as those numbers go.

- only D1s recruit before the summer after junior year.  So, if you have D1 measurables (88+ FB, sub-7.0 60, sub 2.0 pop) then go ahead and do another PBR or other showcase.  If not, then don't.  Summer after junior year is when the non-D1s recruit, that's when the PBR numbers need to be updated.

Meads,

You also want to get an idea of what qualifications the person giving you advice has. My reason for joining this forum is because the high school coach we will eventually play for is a great guy and good coach but is not the best person for recruiting advice. I’ve found that while some school coaches have played D1 college ball and understand the process......many school coaches are simply teachers who love baseball.  In other words your sons coach likely has all the right intentions but familiarize yourself with his credentials and continue using this forum to make the best decisions.  There’s a lot of great advice from parents who’s kids are already committed or have gone on to play pro ball here.  

4arms posted:

Meads,

You also want to get an idea of what qualifications the person giving you advice has. My reason for joining this forum is because the high school coach we will eventually play for is a great guy and good coach but is not the best person for recruiting advice. I’ve found that while some school coaches have played D1 college ball and understand the process......many school coaches are simply teachers who love baseball.  In other words your sons coach likely has all the right intentions but familiarize yourself with his credentials and continue using this forum to make the best decisions.  There’s a lot of great advice from parents who’s kids are already committed or have gone on to play pro ball here.  

I couldn't agree more with you. My son's HS coach has sent numerous boys to some great D1/ D2 colleges and just last year one boy made 4th round draft for the Baltimore Orioles. So he has the qualifications.

One thing I will say is that if you come to this forum, you will get honest feedback.  It will likely be more honest than anyone in your circle will give you.  It is pretty easy to gauge things. Numbers are posted for each class on both PBR and PG. look to see commitments to the schools your son is hoping for and see if his numbers are tracking. Being honest with where your son could realistically go saves lots of time in the recruiting process. Everyone is here to help so try not to be offended when people give honest feedback.  Can hard work change some things? Yes, absolutely. You still have to set realistic expectations.  

The class averages for 2022, so the 50th percentile, according to Perfect Game are:

FB:73

60:7.73

IF: 73

EV:75

this is obviously just those who have done showcases.

I would like to thank all those who posted on this thread about tips for a first showcase.  The information was invaluable as I took my 2023 RHP/1B to his first PBR introduction showcase yesterday afternoon/evening.  We felt very prepared (even for the downtime) and I felt he did very well.  I believe that this thread was very beneficial as it helped us to know how to prepare for the specific stations.  We have not received the results yet, and I don't know if they are emailed to you or if they are just posted all at once on the site.  

I feel like for $150 and no hotel room costs, that the experience was worthwhile for my son, and he said that it mainly validated what he believed was true about himself.  Overall, I am pleased with what I saw, and I am curious to see if the numbers match up with our hopes/expectations.

KYDAD2023

3and2Fastball posted:

A lot of the PBR events have very long lines and long wait times.... Tell him to bring a Baseball in his bag to throw every once in a while against the net while waiting in line, to keep his arm warm (or play catch with someone else in line)

Same thing while waiting in line to run the 60.  Do some basic dynamic Warmups every once in awhile, while waiting in line....  Pretty tough to run your best 60 time when you've been just standing there in line for 30-45 minutes

Excellent advice above!  Look into a DuraSock for throwing warm ups.  Son uses it between innings for warm up, as well as, when he needs to throw and the environment prohibits throwing.

Fortunately on Sunday they did the Home-to-1st right after stretching and there were only around 40 players. Also the pitchers did 2 minute, 45 second bullpens and there were warm-up mounds for the next two pitchers in line (after about a five-minute period where all the pitchers got to throw.  My son bats lefty, so he also got a good break IMO that he got to exit velo and BP in the first group right after the 30.

Scott Munroe posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

A lot of the PBR events have very long lines and long wait times.... Tell him to bring a Baseball in his bag to throw every once in a while against the net while waiting in line, to keep his arm warm (or play catch with someone else in line)

Same thing while waiting in line to run the 60.  Do some basic dynamic Warmups every once in awhile, while waiting in line....  Pretty tough to run your best 60 time when you've been just standing there in line for 30-45 minutes

Excellent advice above!  Look into a DuraSock for throwing warm ups.  Son uses it between innings for warm up, as well as, when he needs to throw and the environment prohibits throwing.

I would also add, if you have a kid that you want to participate as a 2 way. I wouldn't do it at one event. If you can swing it financially go to two separate events.

Both my kids just did their recent even as POs. Timing worked out well. They ended up being in and out within an hour. the NY PBR folks do a very good job imo.

meads posted:
CTbballDad posted:

My son did his first showcase after his freshman year, in which he pitched varsity. As you plan, we did one per year roughly each year. It did give him stats, which helped us know where he should be setting his sights for college.

My agreement with my son was this — you put in the work, arrange your extra coaching (he traded out working shifts at a hitting facility for time in the cages and pitching lessons), get yourself up for lifting, arranging with your friends to throw or scrimmage at night. As long as he did that, we got him to the events he wanted/needed to attend, paid for showcases and gear, etc.

He's now pitching at a D1 and one of the things I think coaches like about him is that he is very self motivated. They may have to offer suggestions on what he can do to get better, they never have to tell him to work harder.

Good luck!

Scott Munroe posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Can’t seem to find Durasock or Dura sock in search engines. All that comes up are work boots. Perhaps typo? Please clarify...

CUTFB:

100% agree.  Our six hours in the car that day were moments I wouldn't trade for anything.  It wasn't all baseball talk either.  Baseball is something we both genuinely enjoy, and I am so fortunate that he some talent and he grew to love the game on his own.  My older two sons don't love it, but we have other things that bond us. I am more excited to get the numbers because he is so anxious to know and it will give us another chance to talk for hours about them (in a positive and encouraging way). I will not lose a son in exchange for gaining a baseball player.

"Where should he be?" Can't say but if he works, runs, lifts, throws, and grows...can make a huge jump.

As a Freshman he was 5'6" 140 lbs, 7.66 60, 81 INF velo, 78 FB, Ex velo 81.

Did all above!

Now with a year left to work before college: 6ft 200 lbs, 7.30 60, 90 INF velo, 90 FB, 96 Ex Velo.

New goals: 7.20 60, 92 Inf Velo, 94 FB, 98 Ex velo. Add a 4th pitch and internalize 6th tool!

To get there work like a dog.

That NCSA measurables profile is definitely an EXTREMELY loose guide. I’m sure most on here know that, but as a quick example:

It calls out OBP of .500 for nearly any position player. Look at the top 10 2021 position players, and I’ll wager less than half are posting .500 or better.  Whereas I know a kid who has an OBP so far this year of .533 in 104 PA. He has 16 singles, 1 double, and 34 walks.  

I love me a good OPS, but emphasis needs to be on the S.....

Yep but you gotta start somewhere. For a quick gut check it helps to have something to reference as a newbie parent starting the process. 

For those that have been through it, agreed - but some people need a level set and reference point besides coach saying little Johnny is going to be amazing or that he has no chance or something in between. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.