Skip to main content

Can someone explain why a college  would announce, complete with a graphic and media release commitment by a player, and not another?

Player one attends a signing day event at HS, annouunces commitment to college. College announces on Twitter, web page, media releases etc.

Player two attends a signing day event at HS. College does not even mention it?

This is confusing to me, is this a PWO situation?  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure what a PWO is. My son committed as a walk-on for his first year to a P5. They gathered from him some bio information, photos, etc. At some point, I think in late spring maybe, they had a series of announcements on Twitter of commitments, including kids I know got scholarships and kids who, like mine, were preferred walk ons.

Then there were kids who announced they were going to the school, but had no shot at playing baseball and I'm guessing they knew it. School did nothing with them.

It also just may have slipped by someone in charge of it.  I can tell you that some schools are much more active on Twitter/Social Media than others when it comes to anything baseball related. Heck, today was the first tweet I've seen from my son's program about anything regarding the season starting this week.   Are you talking signing day from just last week?   If that's the case, it's the week before the season and maybe it just hasn't gotten done?

PWO = Preferred walk on

I was actually waiting to see something about my son's teammate about his commitment from the school, he signed in November,  so I can add it to something we do as a tradition for our graduating seniors. I know that he is attending as a PWO in the fall, to a D1 (mid-major). I was just surprised not see anything for him on the Twitter and webpage when they are a very social media active school. 

I completely understand that this is not a necessary part of being part of the team, and that money or no money is not reflective of playing time or baseball future. Just struck me as odd, and we will need to change direction for this commit.

Baseballmom3201 posted:

PWO = Preferred walk on

I was actually waiting to see something about my son's teammate about his commitment from the school, he signed in November,  so I can add it to something we do as a tradition for our graduating seniors. I know that he is attending as a PWO in the fall, to a D1 (mid-major). I was just surprised not see anything for him on the Twitter and webpage when they are a very social media active school. 

I completely understand that this is not a necessary part of being part of the team, and that money or no money is not reflective of playing time or baseball future. Just struck me as odd, and we will need to change direction for this commit.

Not sure what the tradition is, but sounds potentially cool. Would be sad for him to miss out on being included because his college dropped the ball (pun intended). What about asking him family how they want it handled?

Baseballmom3201 posted:

PWO = Preferred walk on

If he's a PWO, he didn't actually "sign" anything.  They may have had the "ceremony" at the HS, but if he's not getting money, there's no NLI.  A lot of walk ons and preferred walk ons still have a ceremony on signing day....I don't think anyone has a problem with that.  The individual schools may have different ways of handling it with regard to announcing it on social media, but in most cases, I would think only scholarship guys would get announced on social media.

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

Many schools are leaning away from announcing anything to do with players who do not actually sign NLI, because there is nothing binding and many end up going somewhere else where they get a scholarship.  It may be that his school chose not to announce anything since he didn't sign anything.  I do not understand having a signing day when you are not signing anything.  Maybe it should be re-phrased as a one sided commitment day.  I also know several kids over the past several years who had a signing day to schools that had never given them any commitment.  They were just going there and hoping to walk on.  

My son had a player in his freshman class at college that we knew from playing against him in HS.  We knew he was going to attend my son's school and had seen posts on social media regarding it from his HS program.  When we showed up at the first fall inter-squad I was talking to his parents.  Other than the fact that he was getting no money, they had no idea what his situation really was.  They didn't know whether or not he was a walk on or a preferred walk on but seemed to be pretty set that he was going to be playing in the Spring. I knew based on numbers that we were at least 2 or 3 guys over the max at the start of the fall, but they had no idea that that maximum even existed.   He ended up being let go after the fall.  I think they were shocked, but after talking to them up there that day I was more shocked that anyone would have a kid attending school and they had no read idea what his situation was. 

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.