Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They generally only take the best of the very best.  If a Kid plays on one of the Top 2 Travel teams in his state, and it is clearly obvious that he is one of the best players on that team, and he rips line drives consistently against the best of the best pitchers, then he'll get picked most likely...

if not, don't worry about it.  There are plenty of opportunities to play at the next level without being asked to Area Codes.  In general, if you have to ask for an invite, you aren't good enough.  These scouts do this for a living, they could find you living under a rock in Alaska if you can run a 6.6 60 and consistently hit laser beams vs 92+ mph pitching

Last edited by 3and2Fastball
3and2Fastball posted:

These scouts do this for a living, they could find you living under a rock in Alaska if you can run a 6.6 60 and consistently hit laser beams vs 92+ mph pitching

As Buddy Bell, who was head of scouting for The White Sox, at the time told me, "if you're out there and we think you can play at the MLB level we will know about you".  

As 3and2 implies, it's tough to get an invite.  I know of two kids who were invited.  Both kids were the top player on their travel teams.  Each of which are considered the best of the best in our area.  One was a LHP throwing 92 and the other was the fastest shortstop I have ever seen.  He could also rake.  Both were invited one made the underclass team but neither of them made them team their Sr. years.  If you're not at that level the chances of receiving an invite are slim.

My son got invited, and have no idea how.  We didn't attend, which is now a big regret of mine, as we had no idea what it was and the email/web site was not very impressive.

I only mention that, as we did not fall into the above categories.  My son only played travel ball summer of his rising senior year, and it was a small, local team.  He's a RHP, but not throwing 92.

I'm sure the above are accurate, and maybe we were the exception.  But don't think I'll ever know how he got the invite.

Just searched for the email, which was titled Area Code/East Coast Pro Tryout.  My guess is that's the same thing.

Last edited by CTbballDad
3and2Fastball posted:

In general, if you have to ask for an invite, you aren't good enough.  These scouts do this for a living, they could find you living under a rock in Alaska if you can run a 6.6 60 and consistently hit laser beams vs 92+ mph pitching

I don't buy this. As much as I hate using politics as an excuse, AC can get political. If you don't play for the right team or train with the right coaches you are unlikely to get an invite. If you don't get an invite, you were never going to make the team, but getting an invite is still a pretty big deal for uncommitted players. That is free airtime in front of 100 college coaches who are paying pretty close attention and it shows you belong.

On the same note, I think that team is picked before the tryouts for the most part. I'm not saying they make the wrong picks or the players don't deserve it, but the first time we went they got out 3 hours early and there were plenty of guys who did not even get the chance to throw. Players found out they made the team before even leaving the stadium. The second time we went, I watched a player field 1 ground ball cleanly and hit 3 balls out of the IF after 2 rounds of BP. He made the team. 

Don't get me wrong. I think AC is great, without a doubt the best showcase for uncommitted players. But the tryouts are more of a formality than anything. Even if you don't make the team, securing an invite can be the most valuable recruiting tool for a free agent player

Last edited by PABaseball
Baseballcomesthird posted:

How did you/your son secure an invite to the Area Code Tryouts? I know you need a scout recommendation and was wondering how to go about this?

Reach out to your travel coach. If he can't get you an invite, you're playing for the wrong team. Reach out to any trainers you've had. If that doesn't work, take some lessons with somebody who can. You can always try HS coach, but rarely do they have any pull. 

I would say if none of these options work, you have bigger problems on the recruiting trail than getting an area code invite. 

PABaseball posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

In general, if you have to ask for an invite, you aren't good enough.  These scouts do this for a living, they could find you living under a rock in Alaska if you can run a 6.6 60 and consistently hit laser beams vs 92+ mph pitching

I don't buy this. As much as I hate using politics as an excuse, AC can get political. If you don't play for the right team or train with the right coaches you are unlikely to get an invite. If you don't get an invite, you were never going to make the team, but getting an invite is still a pretty big deal for uncommitted players. That is free airtime in front of 100 college coaches who are paying pretty close attention and it shows you belong.

On the same note, I think that team is picked before the tryouts for the most part. I'm not saying they make the wrong picks or the players don't deserve it, but the first time we went they got out 3 hours early and there were plenty of guys who did not even get the chance to throw. Players found out they made the team before even leaving the stadium. The second time we went, I watched a player field 1 ground ball cleanly and hit 3 balls out of the IF after 2 rounds of BP. He made the team. 

Don't get me wrong. I think AC is great, without a doubt the best showcase for uncommitted players. But the tryouts are more of a formality than anything. Even if you don't make the team, securing an invite can be the most valuable recruiting tool for a free agent player

I was naïve about the AC when son was in high school.  I know of 3 players who were invited, son was not.  Might be what PABaseball alluded to, although I disagree that if you are good enough the scouts will find you as a few stated previously.  I would recommend trying to get an invite if possible, either through scouts, travel coach, hs coach, knocking on doors, etc.  If successful it can only add to your resume when applying.  Once you get over the initial hump, where a few state or national accolades are given, it makes it so much easier for other sources to take notice and hopefully soon many schools/pro's will take notice.  One example is being on Team USA National Collegiate Team, it was unreal what became of it and the doors it opened.  Of course, you still have to back it up lol.

2020HOPEFUL.......My son was at that "workout" in the PNW you speak of.  About 60ish kids I understand.  The email said it was "This workout will help the Royals identify players that should be considered for the 2019 Area Code team. The final area code camp will take place in July. Just because you attend this workout on January 26th, it does not mean you will or will not be invited back for the summer tryouts." 

I'm pretty sure they had a similar one last year, but my 2020 wasn't at the one last year, but did get an invite to the AC tryout last summer, although didn't make the underclass team.  Not sure what to think of the "workout".

My son never got an invite, plenty of his peers did and i believe deservedly so. He did throw a few pitches at one tryout...in retrospect i think they were looking to round out their roster. Brian Bridges was there running the tryout. Regardless, he went on to do okay without it.

BTW, Brian and Roy Clark were both fired in January, lookout.....the Braves are shaking up their scouting department.

Last edited by Shoveit4Ks

It is definitely worth working a bit to get to the tryout...like someone mentioned, at least 50 scouts and college coaches watching the tryout...totally free.  The second year my son tried out he made the underclass team, which was a total shock, but the tryout is a literal free roll and only good can come out of it in my opinion.  My concern is that after making the underclass, if he doesn't make the regular AC games he will be disappointed...but we will see...on a side note, the tryout invite came last night and our local tryout is at the University of Arkansas this year.

My son (2019) played for a big/well known travel team with strong connections here on the west coast. They were of no assistance when it came to recruiting and even less when trying to get an area code invite. It was early summer of his senior year - there was interest from several schools but he had no offers....until Area Code Tryouts.

A big league scout, who lived locally, saw my son play in a summer tournament the year before - this was by coincidence only. Son played lights out. A family member of ours contacted one of the scout's family members and mentioned that my son was trying to get an area code tryout invite. The scout remembered my son and within 48 hours, my son received an invite.

My son fortunately did very well and made the first cut to the afternoon but did not make the final Area Code team. That was OK - after the area code tryout, his phone blew up with calls and texts from schools. In the 2 weeks following the AC tryout, he received 3 offers, was invited to multiple visits, and committed to one of his top choice schools. 

There were approximately 30-40 college scouts in attendance and all of them were there recruiting hard (radar guns, stopwatches, clipboards, approaching players after the event). Many of the players at the tryout were already committed so uncommitted players had a golden opportunity if they performed well.

Be 100% sure that your son has strong tools before pursuing getting an Area Code tryout.  As far as the tryout my son attended here in California, it was loaded with D1 level talent. And if your son has the talent, leave no stone un-turned and find a way to get to the tryout. It is definitely worth it.

Good Luck.

My 2019's experience mirrors what WESTCOASTPAPA describes, including playing on a high profile travel club.

Two paths have been described above - either being a recognized, highly regarded prospect or leveraging a networking approach - to get an invite.  There may be a third path as well.

For my son, his participation and performance in the 2018 NorCal World Series was the most likely reason he was invited to try out.  There are probably a set of events nationally that serve as "feeders" because they tend to draw a large number of college coaches and scouts.  I would bet that it's possible to figure out what these events might be and that it's probably easier to get invited there than it might be to network into the AC.  If a kid performs well at an event like NorCal WS it raises profile and creates momentum at the right time.

My son didn’t play for a well known team and was the only kid on his team that was invited. He had not committed at the time.  We had done quite a few showcases but we did not reach out to anyone for an invitation. He just got an email one day asking for the mailing addresss and said he would be receiving an invitation. He made it to the scrimmage but did not make the team. Very worthwhile  regardless.

When I created the Area Code games in 1987, our policy was not to "charge a fee". We did charge the College Coaches and the Agents and the ML Teams [average 10 scouts for the games. The tryouts average 100 players each and 40 college coaches and pro scouts. The final teams were selected by the scouts and myself. Each year, I fielded a 900 team, players who were not selected.

At one tryout in Denver, I spoke to the parents. "No one but the scouts select the players" My cell phone buzz, I was Tommy Lasorda.

Tommy wanted to place Fred Claire {Dodger GM] in the games. I told Tommy he had his own Dodgers AC team and he could place any player. "He said OK". During the 1990's, we average $35 million each year in signing bonus.

Bob

Players fall through the cracks all of the time.  There was a 99 mph lefty that signed a pro contract because of a post on flatgroundapp.  If that kid can fall through the cracks, there are plenty of other kids who can.

In our area is seems like you have two options.  Be a complete stud, or play for one travel org or get lessons from that org.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.