Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I did not coach my son in 12U travel last year and the coach he played for made him a closer for most tournaments. Since the coach was not tracking pitch counts I was OK with it because I knew my son's pitch counts would remain low. And because his team was mediocre he didn't have a heavy workload.

But if I was a kid pitching in HS and looking to play college ball I would not be happy in that role. I would want more exposure by pitching more innings, even in a relief role.

We have a closer but just the opposite.  He comes in after the big boys and throws 65 with nasty stuff.  After you have seen upper 80's-low 90's, it is hard to sit on 65 with movement and a curve ball and slider.  He usually only throws 1 inning or part of an inning.  Was very effective.  That is the only time he pitches so he is truly a closer.

It's not a bad role if the team is good. It takes a certain attitude, which not all high school pitchers have. Our closer is an upper 80s RHP (topped at 88 in his most recent game a few days ago) who will pitch in college next year. He's very good in his role, but he's not the best reliever on the team -- that's an ice-water-in-his-veins LHP who can be put in the toughest of spots (bases loaded, whatever), and who is headed to a D1 next year. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.