Skip to main content

Miinor league baseball players, who are not Minor League Baseball employees but employees of Major League Baseball, are paid a paltry sliver compared to their big-league brethren, and thus, in theory, are more vulnerable to corruption.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2...and-weak-safeguards/

** The dream is free. Work ethic sold separately. **

Last edited by RJM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

2020-RHP-Dad posted:

LOL but yeah, betting on minor league games seems as legit as betting on dog racing.

Sometimes the betting mafia does target obscure sports like minor league baseball, dog racing and so on because it is less well controlled than the top sports and shady things thus don't come out as quickly.

The betting companies now have super computers looking for tiny irregularities in the top sports but the obscure sports still allow for a more shady backyard type of betting.

3and2Fastball posted:

Gimme two large on Pawtucket in the opener.  I know a guy who knows a guy.

2020-RHP-Dad posted:

LOL but yeah, betting on minor league games seems as legit as betting on dog racing.

If memory serves me well, there is a Greyhound track 10 minutes away (its Rhode Island how far can it be!) from McCoy stadium where the PawSox play.   It has been 100 years since I've been there as a college student.  Interesting group of clientele.  

Fenway is right - RI is one of the underrated gangster paradises in the US and the dog tracks were definitely a haunt.  Uncles of mine used to hang out there frequently.  None was to be trifled with unless you were ready to go.  They were hilariously funny and terrifying at the same time.  They were the only men I ever felt my father was ever scared of.    

RJM posted:

Providence, not Boston was the center of the New England mob.

And many of those lived in a Suburb called Cranston. Many Italians right off the boat settled in Rhode island. My inlaws parents came over from the old country. They grew grapes and tomatoes in the back yard until the day they died. My father inlaws first two given names were Antonio Pisquali. He did Americanize them when he got old enough. I do not believe they were involved directly, but everyone knew who was. 

I bought a second home in Revere Beach. I eventually moved there when I sold my company and my son headed for college. Revere is very Italian. It’s also very connected. One night I met a woman I was interested in. She was bragging her grandfather owned a certain business. A friend intercepted me. He informed me if she ever got upset with me her father would burn down my house. I managed to fill in the blanks from there.

When Jerry Angiuli, mob underboss of Boston under the Patriarcia family in RI died the most frequent question was , “Are you going to Jerry’s funeral?” I had no interest in going. But I was out on 1A when the multiple mile funeral procession went by. 

I bought my house from a mobster who was unsuccessful at burning it down. I remodeled it. Neighbors were wondering if I was connected. I explained I’m the WASPiest looking Jew on record. It kind of ruled me out. I came to find out a couple of guys my age I chatted with in the street had done time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.