Skip to main content

I just got back from my son's HS game.  

It was a traumatic experience that made myself and everyone realize that baseball is just a game and anything can happen at any time. 

Give your kids a HUG and say that you love them and are proud of them no matter what they do or didn't do on the field

what happened:

runner on 1st and 2nd and no outs  Leadoff batter is up.  Squares to bunt to sac the runners.  pretty accurate  mid 80 fastball is tipped off the bat and goes straight to the batters face. 

Batter falls to plate and immediately starts convulsing . ambulance is called.  fire dept takes about 6-7 minutes to get there, player is convulsing the whole time.  ambulance takes another 6 -7 minutes to get there, comes onto the field and they cart the player onto the ambulance as he was still convulsing. 

game gets called .  people and players are in total shock. 

By far the worst thing I have ever seen and I have seen broken bones, pitchers and batters hit in the face, etc. 

I am praying for him , his family and his teamates. 

time is precious,  be thankful and grateful always. 

Last edited by fishnsail
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

fishnsail posted:

I just got back from my son's HS game.  

It was a traumatic experience that made myself and everyone realize that baseball is just a game and anything can happen at any time. 

Give your kids a HUG and say that you love them and are proud of them no matter what they do or didn't do on the field

what happened:

runner on 1st and 2nd and no outs  Leadoff batter is up.  Squares to bunt to sac the runners.  pretty accurate  mid 80 fastball is tipped off the bat and goes straight to the batters face. 

Batter falls to plate and immediately starts convulsing . ambulance is called.  fire dept takes about 6-7 minutes to get there, player is convulsing the whole time.  ambulance takes another 6 -7 minutes to get there, comes onto the field and they cart the player onto the ambulance as he was still convulsing. 

game gets called .  people and players are in total shock. 

By far the worst thing I have ever seen and I have seen broken bones, pitchers and batters hit in the face, etc. 

I am praying for him , his family and his teamates. 

time is precious,  be thankful and grateful always. 

Prayer sent

thank you Everyone for all your thoughts and Prayers!

The Player is recooperating in the hospital . He has a breathing tube in still but seems to be making a good recovery. All the scans so far are clean. 

He is a college recruit/senior as well and we hope he has a speedy recovery and will be able to get back in the batters box eventually again. 

At the field yesterday , it looked pretty scary and possibly life threatening.   Though he was on the opposing team and we didn't know him too well, we all felt as if he was our kid when it happened - it left a mark on me for sure. 

Thank you again everyone 

Have a great weekend!

Thanks for the update... good to hear a positive report. 

How is your son handling this?  You are right... it can certainly leave a mark on us as parents who can feel some of the pain of that player's parents.  But it can be far more impactful on young people who perhaps have never witnessed or experienced a life-threatening or fatal event.  They can have a more difficult time sorting it out, even if they don't show it.

Continued best...

Last edited by cabbagedad

In all seriousness this is a scary thing but it is a testament to how wonderful life is in America that the notion of a potentially life threatening event to a youngster is even considered something traumatic.  

For those of us old enough to have lived long enough it was not that long ago when 10's of thousands died in wars, heart attacks killed people in their 30's and cancer of almost any type was a death sentence.  I can remember as a kid playing with my plastic M-16 thinking it would not be much longer before I got a real one for Vietnam so I could go kill gooks.  I could hardly wait - and it never happened.  I realized almost immediately at 18 how lucky I was.  

None of this is any longer the case and it is something to be grateful for.  In 1900 70% of people died before age 65 and now over 75% of people live well beyond that age.

As Americans all of us should be grateful that we live in the best of times that human beings have ever experienced. Somehow we have become so small that we no longer consider the blessings of the wonderful things in our every day lives.  This thread should remind us of this basic truth.

fishnsail posted:

So, many prayers sent.  It takes your breath away.  About 10 years ago my oldest was on the mound when this happened to a batter.  Son was a high school junior and the week before had been gunned over 90mph.  I know he was throwing hard that day..it was warm & a little humid.  Their cleanup hitter squared to bunt and the ball went off his bat and took out a couple teeth.  Blood was everywhere and some Doctors were in the stands, and they took care of him.   We grabbed a flashlight and found his teeth in the batters box dirt, and the game continued.  They called a friend of mine who is a dentist, and he got him fixed up.   Tough kid.  He went on to play football at Yale the next year.   From that day forward, my kids wore mouthguards in the batters box.

Last edited by fenwaysouth
fenwaysouth posted:
fishnsail posted:

So, many prayers sent.  It takes your breath away.  About 10 years ago my oldest was on the mound when this happened to a batter.  Son was a high school junior and the week before had been gunned over 90mph.  I know he was throwing hard that day..it was warm & a little humid.  Their cleanup hitter squared to bunt and the ball went off his bat and took out a couple teeth.  Blood was everywhere and some Doctors were in the stands, and they took care of him.   We grabbed a flashlight and found his teeth in the batters box dirt, and the game continued.  They called a friend of mine who is a dentist, and he got him fixed up.   Tough kid.  He went on to play football at Yale the next year.   From that day forward, my kids wore mouthguards in the batters box.

Have to wonder when the facemask will become part of baseball.  It has been 50 years since Conigliaro and 100 since Chapman.  Not like no one knows this is out there. 

This is even truer for pitchers who are 50 feet from the plate when the ball is hit.  I took one off the honker at 10 in the school yard and was never hit harder than that.  Broken and bled EVERYWHERE.  Someone had to run and get my parents to take me to the hospital.  I bled for better part of an hour before they stopped it.  Pretty much ended baseball for me.  Saw my first real curve at 70MPH from some old WWII Marine in batting practice coaching Babe Ruth.  I stepped so far in the bucket that my front foot was actually pointed at the dugout door when I finished my swing.  He took a little too much delight throwing the next few at me and breaking them over the plate.  I know this because after everyone one of them he laughed out loud and said something about keeping my front shoulder in. 

It was my first experience with real fear and after I nearly peed myself I got out of the box as fast as I could and never went back.  To give you more context my father had sent me to the hospital a couple of times with some good old fashioned ass kicking's but I was never afraid of him as much as I was of that damn curveball.  Tried again in HS and was braver but not enough to be a real player.

I didn't breathe right for 25 years until a couple of facial surgeries in my 30's fixed the sinus problems I had as a result of the whack I took.  

Fenwaysouth, the same thing happened to one of my son's travel teammates in 12U. Knocked one of his front teeth out, it dropped right on home plate. They rushed him to the ER (tournament was 200 miles from home), ER hooked him up immediately with a local dentist who stuck the tooth back in and wired his mouth. This was a morning game. He was back at the tournament to watch the late afternoon game, from the stands of course, and over time the tooth healed fine. Scary thing though initially, tough to watch.  

just wanted to give everyone an update on this..

The player is back in school  . Despite having multiple seizures , nothing was found on the scans (which I find a miracle) and he was released. 

We resumed the game this week from the exact point where the accident happened.  The player was at the game and seemed well.  Of course, on the first pitch, the replacement batter squares to bunt(sacrifice)...which left the whole place cringing .   It will take a while to get used to that again. 

the Player is expected to be out awhile and not sure when he will return but he wants to return soon before he goes off to west point for baseball. 

thank you for all your thoughts and prayers!

Have a great weekend

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.