Skip to main content

This past weekend I attended my son's college baseball game in the mid west.  Was able to see  games over this baseball weekend and really enjoyed the Midwest weather.  It was the first time I was able to see him pitch for this school at their home field and the last.  It was something that I will remember and cherish as another baseball memory to tuck away and visit in my mind from time to time.  My son transferred to a four year school from a JC college last season.  Was one of the top pitcher all the way through fall ball.  Three days after fall ball was over I got a call from him, excited that he was asked to do a bullpen for a scout from the N.Y. Mets.  In my mind I wanted to tell him that you just finished fall ball on top and in good health.  Don't push it and to not do the bullpen.  But the other side said, don't be negative about his dream and support him with confidence.  I went forward with telling him that I was proud of him and give it your best.

About an hour later I got a call from him and he was on his way to the hospital for an elbow injury that occurred during the bullpen.  This was not my first rodeo with this injury, his older brother that played in College had exactly the same thing happen.  Both of my sons are 6'8, one righty and one lefty, both are pitchers.  I know the mental and physical battle he was up against to be able to get back to good health and possibly throw this season. 

Sixteen months after surgery he got the nod that he was one of the game starting pitchers.  We purchased tickets and flew out to see four games.  We were able to watch him get the start in the game and do his thing on the mound.  It was a great experience and was so glad to be there for this special moment in his baseball journey.

After the game he said that he was pleased with how well he threw and he felt great.  I mentioned to him that it looked like he was really pounding the leather.  He then told me that there were scouts in the upper press box and he hit 91. 

As I began my way out of the stadium his team was huddled in the outfield where the coach was talking to them.  I took a few more pictures of the team huddle and looked around over the stadium and took in the smell of fresh cut grass.  Then at that moment I realized that would be the last time I see him pitch in college.  He graduates from college the second week of May.  As I made my way out to the car it was hard to hold back the emotions I was feeling.  I felt sad that it was all coming to an end and at the same time I was filled with joy that I was able to go along this journey with him in baseball as I did with his older brother.  Two down and one more to go!

Where one road ends, another begins.....

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Quite a touching story. I remember watching my sons last game. The seniors all out in the grass after the last game in the conference tournament ended in a loss. You could tell some of them were devastated. It was just hitting them that Baseball was over. 

Most did not play again for a year or two, it was painful. However many are playing again, in local men's leagues. it was joyful, yet sad at the same time.  

Cabbagedad - What I meant as that his college days are coming to end and graduation is around the corner.  He might be getting a chance to be drafted, play in a independent league or start his career.  I have a feeling that he is not done and has a few options.  I have been fortunate to have two sons play four years each of college baseball and graduate, and now have a younger son that is a freshmen in high school.  So there are many roads that are ending and others beginning.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.