Skip to main content

Long time lurker.  On this site, there is much discussion about parents never confronting coaches and I understand that most of the time.  But I watched a situation that made me think how should this be handled.  Varsity teams playing double header.  Pitcher throws 6 innings in first game and then pulled.  He is brought back when they give up a couple of runs to finish game after a short time being in the field.  No big deal much like sitting during long at bat by team.  Finishes with about 80 something pitches.

The second game he plays outfield.  In the seventh inning, the pitcher gets in trouble in a close important game for playoff standings and home field advantage.  The coach brings back the pitcher from the first game to finish game.  He does so effectively with only 6 pitches.

My question and the question of almost everyone at the game was why would a coach do that to a player who is committed to P5.  Above and beyond that, I thought with all the discussions here how would a parent stop this from happening?  Not wanting to question whether it was a wise choice by the coach because I do not think it was and do not even think he thought it was but felt pressure to do it.  What should a parent do to stop it?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think you know why the coach would do this... hint, to win a game...

California has pitching rules that limit number of pitches per week and number of days rest that are required for various pitch counts in games.  Regarding pitching in two games on the same day, here is from the CIF-SS Q&A:

Q: May the same pitcher appear in two different games on the same day?

A: Yes. However, they may only do so if they threw 30 pitches or less in the first game and are not required to rest. Also, they may not throw more than 110 pitches total for the day.

If you lived in California, it looks like the coach would have violated the pitching rules.  You should check your state rules so at least you know if this situation is allowed or not.

If it were my kid I probably would have had a conversation about pitching load prior to the season, but better late than never.

About 10 years ago the question on this site would have been - can you believe coach had him throw 140 pitches.  Times have changed when a kid throwing 90=100 pitches generates a question about "overuse".

Of course 10 years ago there was zero pitching rules in HS and folks out here were passionately arguing "kids don't throw enough anymore".

I think it has become common wisdom (sense) that pitchers should pitch with a plan for how many pitches they will make and on what schedule.  We did this with 11 and 12 year olds way back when.

What happened in this scenario is a bad idea.  If he ended up with 15 or more pitches in game 2 and started closing in on 125 for the day then he would have been way out of bounds.

I looked at stats for SC for total strikeouts in a season as my son has 91 already with at least two games to go and playoffs so he should be 120 plus.  He had 119 as a freshman and that was not close to the MO state record.  The catch in both states is pitchers used to throw 140 pitches a game.  A friend of ours threw over 120 pitches all 12 games he threw his senior year back in the 80's.  It amazes him that my son is averaging 87 pitches a complete game the past two years.  But he was a power pitcher who threw and hoped it went over the white. 

I still don't have an answer for how do you handle it during a game for the original poster. 

You teach your kid to say no before the situation comes up. There is virtually nobody who knows anything about baseball who agree with this coach. You say no sir can't do it...end of conversation. 

We have a local kid, sophomore, big time, committed to national power, USA baseball national team, PG all American so forth and so on. Check out his HS innings...almost nonexistent. You think is HS coach doesn't realize the kid is his best pitcher? He is in RF pretty much full time. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.